iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Brandt Ainsworth

Started by Texas Ranger, February 27, 2005, 12:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

Got my annual crud, laying on the couch, spinning channels.  Came up on RFD Televison, and was programming a show on animal logging in the winter.  With Brandt Ainsworth doing the animal handling.  Show highlighted horse, mule and Ox logging.  Ainsworth, obviously a yankee, and obviously up north in the snow, put on a pretty informative show on his brand of logging.

My take was a slower, older, and gentler logging than we use in the south.  I last saw animal logging in the 60's down here with an older gent and two oxen.  The oxen and old gent ended up pulling a float each year in the local heritage festival. 
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

thecfarm

I think I saw the same program a few months back.That's about the only channel I really watch.There's a fellow about a mile from me that works in the woods with horses.I know there are some with oxens too.Don't know anyone with mules in the state of Maine.Yes,it's a gentler way.But with the prices of wood now adays it's hard to make any decent money.Can't see how a person could support a family,make truck-house payments ect.I always enjoy seeing a horse tralier at a wood landing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MemphisLogger

Tex,

We've got 3 outfits using Percerons(sp) here in West Tennessee and I have several friends doing it in the Appalachia (NC and AL). A lot of land owners who are managing hardwood for sustained yield prefer to do their select cuts with draft animals for aesthetic, ecological and cultural reasons.

I believe that as a whole, draft horse/mule logging will continue to grow in popularity as woodlots get smaller and/or come under ownership with different objectives (read yuppies).

My local State Park recently needed to get rid of a bunch of Paulownia that was posing invasive problems and the state naturalist would only let them farm the job out commercially if they used horses/miles.

I know them boys was grumblin' as they skidded out past all the 30"+ Walnuts on the way in and out  ;D     
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Thank You Sponsors!