iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pallets for Drying

Started by 123maxbars, December 07, 2020, 08:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

Back with another video again that was inspired by @YellowHammer and his wife. In this one I show how I build open faced pallets for drying wood, similar to the ones that Robert and so many others on here use at their mills.

Sawmill Secrets: A Simple Structure Can Save You Time & Money. - YouTube
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Walnut Beast

Nice video 👍. That was actually on my list to go back and look at yellowhammers pallets to build. Good timing 

customsawyer

Great video. When building the pallets I line the ends of my 2x4s up on a joint in the concrete as it helps to keep it square. Then build multiple pallets on top of the first one. By using the first one as a pattern I don't have to do as much measuring.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

D6c

I've got the same problem coming up with a stack drying solution with limited space.
I'm considering setting posts in two lines and running planks along them.  That way I can set lumber pallets on them at least a couple packs high and be off the ground.
Your setup will be more accessible and to help with adding weight you might do like one guy I met.  He cast concrete slabs same size as the lumber packs and set them on top to control warp.

alan gage

I build them on my deckover trailer, which puts them at a nice working height with no bending over or kneeling. The sides and back of the trailer make a nice square reference as well. After building the first one I spray painted the outline of the runners onto the trailer to give me a pattern for the rest.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

YellowHammer

We just took some spray paint and spray painted the outline of the runners onto the floor.  It's been used for years, no more tape measure, no more error, just "put the boards on the outline and nail them."
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!