iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for the FF member who builds "hot-saws"

Started by Dave Shepard, March 07, 2007, 08:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I remember reading a thread that mentioned one of our members who worked on saws, and did a lot with porting and exhuast work. I have a siezed 394 and would like to find out how much it would cost to have it repaired and "turned up" as it were. Anybody know who I am talking about? I think he had a three letter handle, but I am not sure. Thanks.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

logger

220 Poulan            Future Saws         
Stihl MS280             Jonsered CS2171              
Stihl MS440 Magnum Husky 575XP  
Stihl MS460 Magnum   Dolmar PS-7900
Husky 385xp            Stihl MS361  Stihl MS441 Magnum
Stihl 066 Magnum       Stihl MS660 Magnum

Dave Shepard

Bingo! That sound about right. I don't know if he can buy parts and rebuild the saw, or if he just tunes them, but I wasn't impressed with what the dealer wanted to put a new top-end on this saw. I'll send out a PM to ehp. Thanks.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tony_T

If the sieze up is just piston/cylinder it's a couple hour job if you have the parts.  Dealer may have given you a higher price to cover their butt if there is problems in the bottom end (e.g. crankshaft + lots more labor).  Have you taken it apart to see whats needed? 

If it is just pistion/cylinder you might be able to get a builder to ship you a new piston/cyl assy that's already been ported, add an opened up exhaust and its a bolt on repair/upgrade. This would save you shipping the saw both ways too.

Be sure the crankshaft is in good condition though, adding HP to a bottom end thats on the way out is a recipie for disaster.

treeape

Quote from: Tony_T on March 09, 2007, 05:49:44 PM

If it is just pistion/cylinder you might be able to get a builder to ship you a new piston/cyl assy that's already been ported, add an opened up exhaust and its a bolt on repair/upgrade. This would save you shipping the saw both ways too.

I would prefer the builder had the complete saw and ran a few tanks through it after the mods were done. This simple thing is over looked by most  builders. So if there is a problem it is found before it ever leaves the builders hands.

saw_nut

There is a Walkerized 394 sitting in my basement that is for sale on some other sites. I will post it here as well.

jokers

A couple of thoughts regarding attempting to have a builder port a barrel and send it to you for you to install. First, said builder would not be able to establish that the saw`s bottom end is worth building upon, atleast without a little refurb, second, there would be now way for the builder to be certain how much squish clearance you would have with that particular cylinder so I would expect him to build it a little loose, which means lower compression and power, third, you may not need a new cylinder. I have seen quite a few cylinders saved by using muriatic acid and Scotch Brite to clean the galled aluminum out of the bore, just make sure that you rinse the cylinder thoroughly afterward.........and then rinse it again. As long as you don`t have any scratches deep enough to catch a fingernail dragged across them you should be good to go.

Dave Shepard

The entire saw is going to get sent out. I just haven't gotten to it yet. I'll let the builder make the call on the saw. If it's toast, I'll sell it as parts.

Dave

Cut4fun

Go to the For sale section here. There is a Walkerized 394 there right now for sale. I have seen the video myself of the saw and can send a link to you if needed. I have bought 2 saws off the guy and he is a man of his word too.

Cut4fun

LT40HDD51

A buddy of mine built one with a CR250 motor and a harvester bar, that hot enuff?  ;D
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

jokers

Quote from: LT40HDD51 on March 20, 2007, 07:50:23 PM
A buddy of mine built one with a CR250 motor and a harvester bar, that hot enuff?  ;D
That`s just about right, if he built it well.  ;D

I think that if you listen closely with an ear toward Central Ontario and Northern New York this summer you may hear some new ones being born.

LT40HDD51

Yeah, theres gonna be some more funny smellin exhaust comin from the Annapolis Valley, too...  ;D
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

Thank You Sponsors!