iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2022 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2021, 09:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I started the original Whatcha Sawin' ?? topic with this picture back in 2014.  Wow, how many of our logs have become lumber and sawdust in the past 7 years??

Personally, I have trimmed back on my sawing and have stopped taking "road trip" jobs over ~50 miles except for repeat customers.  Even so, I am booked tighter than I had planned to be.  Several 1-2+ day jobs plus one "whole house" framing lumber job that will be sawn based on the customer's 'oil patch' job.

So the question is:  Whatcha Sawin' 2022 ??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I have a couple of small jobs in backlog and weather and customer help availability permitting I'll try to knock 1-2 out next week if we don't get flooded out this weekend. Happy New Year.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

TimW

New Year's Eve had me trying to saw a huge 7 foot Red Oak with a crotch.  I was gonna cut it into slabs.  But the huge crotch gave me too much of a wave and it was a no go.  It was cut down about a month ago.  I took it off the mill, after getting some firewood for my daughter,  and stacked it back on a whack of oaks to age more.  I will wait until I get into the 1.5 inch wide blades to take another crack at it.

The crotch was wider, but I had to bibby it shorter than I wanted to.  Even the back side was bibbied.

I am wore out, as I took the ax to all the short "knot" slabs I cut off, to split them.  Then I cut them into short lengths,with my Stihl, of firewood small enough for my Grand daughter to handle.  They moved back here in August and now have a fireplace I get to fuel.

hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

doc henderson

I want to get in the group so I can see all the cool lumber and slabs being made.  this is a pic of some lumber I sawed, and made stuff from, and my buddy @Jim Thomas  or sawdust Jimmy picked up the scraps and made something.  these are Christmas yarn bowl for holding your yarn ball and not having it roll on the floor as you knit.  

can you guess the wood species?  

Hey Brandi, that looks like some of the stuff I try to saw.  Hi-Five!  Doc
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

kantuckid

Walnut-heart and sapwood. Might be a light colored, "ringer species" in there? ;D
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

WV Sawmiller

Hey guys, Happy New Year. 

Remember to be sure to record your vehicle odometer readings if you are going to need that info for your tax records. My tax guru always asks for my starting and ending miles so they can compute personal vs business mileage. Just in case it applies to you.,
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

you got it.  the first 3 pics are just walnut trimmings the transitioned to sapwood.  nice alternating pattern.  the 4th and center bowl in the "all three pic", is walnut and tree of heaven.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

TimW

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 01, 2022, 10:28:44 AM
 Hey guys, Happy New Year.

Remember to be sure to record your vehicle odometer readings if you are going to need that info for your tax records. My tax guru always asks for my starting and ending miles so they can compute personal vs business mileage. Just in case it applies to you.,
Hey Howard....I know you are getting older and slower, but this is 2022.  You are suppose to say, "Hey guys and girls".  But I forgive you because I know things move slower in West Virginia.  HAPPY NEW YEAR HOWARD!
hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

TimW

Quote from: doc henderson on January 01, 2022, 05:20:23 AM

Hey Brandi, that looks like some of the stuff I try to saw.  Hi-Five!  Doc
Doc, that was the better of three logs.  The biggest won't fit on my mill at all.  I will take photos of them today.
   hugs,   Brandi

WV Sawmiller

Brandi,

I think you are out of touch. Don't you know gender specific pronouns and terms and such are no longer allowed? I am just trying to be politically correct and ensure all FF members know I care and love them equally - even the ones who criticize my ATV driving. :D

Anyway, I was just trying to help and I apologize if anything I said unintentionally offended you - usually when I offend people it is on purpose. :D Take care, Be careful with that big ugly RO crotch log.
Howard Green

woodman52

I am just finishing up processing some tops from harvested logs. Building a small camp building/hunting blind. I got the roof on before weather started to turn. So far I have sawn all the wood from beech out of my woods except some PT for ground contact.

Here is a picture of my processor. I thought someone might be interested in the log deck. It is made from an old trailer. I added a fold out wing to give it some more width. Totally portable and quick to set up. You might be able to use the concept for a mill without a hyd loader.

Cooks HD3238 mill, loader tractor +, small wood processor, Farmi 501 winch, Wallenstein LX115 forwarding trailer, 60 ac hardwood, certified tree farm

randy d

We sawed three white spruce logs yesterday and then it started to snow so we had to quit for the day but we did get some real nice 1x6x8' boards. Today it's right around zero we will wait for a warm up to saw again. Randy

TimW

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 01, 2022, 01:30:07 PM
Brandi,

I think you are out of touch. Don't you know gender specific pronouns and terms and such are no longer allowed? I am just trying to be politically correct and ensure all FF members know I care and love them equally - even the ones who criticize my ATV driving. :D

Anyway, I was just trying to help and I apologize if anything I said unintentionally offended you - usually when I offend people it is on purpose. :D Take care, Be careful with that big ugly RO crotch log.
You are trying to be politically correct? smiley_lit_bulb  Well, you can go buzz saw the bleachers with that PC stuff. smiley_monkeyfight  You are not gonna blow my skirt up with that nonsense! smiley_female_sign smiley_male_sign smiley_furious
Oh yeah....................HAPPY NEW YEAR! smiley_blue_bounce
hugs,  Brandi

sumday

Doc, those yarn bowls are awesome, I've never seen anything like that. Do you happen to sell those or know someone who does? My wife and a few of my daughters would love those...

JoshNZ

I never posted in the last thread as all I had was walnut last year, but I am through my ~80 ton of them. I've bought another 50 ton or so of Blackwood (acacia melanoxolyn) and ~40ton of whatever else, I went through a phase of doing nothing but log collecting adventures, my partner and I would jump in the truck with the forklift in tow and scooped up all sorts, some indigenous logs, oak, cypresses, cedars, elm, sheoak, silky oak. Whatever else, the log yard looks like a crapshow but I know where everything is lol.

My partner has started a little project with a CNC table we imported, she is sparks and sawdust NZ on Facebook if anyone is interested, selling kids toys and puzzles etc. Our latest item is a flat pack dump truck I designed in cad, the toy ships as ~10 panels and main body/wheels etc, and some nails/glue/sandpaper/oil, I designed a little assembly manual for it too, so son and father (or whoever else!) assemble the wooden dump truck then off they go. I've got a rimu log there I'm going to saw into stock for her and fire into the kiln as soon as I get it running, hopefully the locally sourced, indigenous timber, locally made hardwood toy theme will be good for it.

Happy NY best of luck to everyone. I won't be setting foot near the sawmill until these days drop below 30!

richhiway

Still sawing for my planer shed project.
Happy and Healthy New Year to all of you. Although we have never met I consider you my friends.
Have a great year of milling! 
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Larry

I didn't run the sawmill yesterday or today even though I had two requests for service.  Sometimes I think there should be two of me. :D :D

I did load out two guys today.  One customer snapped a picture.

From past experience around customers I've learned to smile at all times as they always have cameras and some even take videos.......
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

beenthere

Quote from: sumday on January 01, 2022, 04:19:55 PM
Doc, those yarn bowls are awesome, I've never seen anything like that. Do you happen to sell those or know someone who does? My wife and a few of my daughters would love those...
The yarn bowls are available, one place would be Amazon
Amazon.com : yarn bowl

May not be as nice as Doc Henderson shows. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

TimW

Quote from: doc henderson on January 01, 2022, 05:20:23 AM
Hey Brandi, that looks like some of the stuff I try to saw.  Hi-Five!  Doc
Doc,
 Here is the upper half of the log I rejected from the mill yesterday.

Here is the log right below it.

Here is the butt long.  About 48x44 inches.

Guess they will be hacked up into firewood.
hugs,  Brandi

doc henderson

Quote from: sumday on January 01, 2022, 04:19:55 PM
they are all over the internet, and where my wife got the idea.  My buddy made them on request, and we do things back and forth.  my wife wanted one for her friend that always gets her great gifts, so she tried to go way out this year.  Jimmie does most stuff for fun, and I can see if he is interested.  I do not know the cost, but it is usually tough to get him to take more than just a return favor.  Jimmie just left yesterday to miss the ice and is in New Mexico till march or so.  You might look and see what they go for, and it may be simpler to buy one, but if you want, I can ask.  it might be a few months.

doc henderson

Brandi i did not mean to imply you should not cut it, and it can be pretty wood, but it is some work.  I know you are not afraid of that.  I think it is guys and gals, or boys and girls.  that politically correct stuff seeps in.  I like to say Merry Christmas, but if I suspect someone might be other than Christian (based on looks), I might say Happy Holidays.  maybe that is more "racist" than just saying Merry Christmas.  oh well.  :-\

I like my maple boards I got from an ugly log.  

firefighter ontheside

I was a little confused as I opened the thread.  I forgot that it is a new year, so Happy New Year.  I have spent the new year in bed and confined to my bedroom with the Covid.  Last year I had a goal to do more sawing for customers bringing logs to me for sawing.  That did not happen and that's ok.  I have plenty of my own logs to saw.  I need to get a lot of logs sawn and drying.  I would really like to get a bunch of walnut dried and put in storage at my wife's office.  I have had a lot of people looking for slabs and had nothing to sell.  Spending several months working on bedroom floor didn't help with that.  I think I might be building more walnut furniture in the future too, especially live edge tables.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Well Bill, at least you have a beautiful floor to looks at while you are lying there! (Not to mention that chair in the corner!) Feel better man, tomorrow is another year.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WDH

Howard, just say y'all.  That includes everyone, even the glaciated types.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Danny,

Thanks but then there will probably be complaints of singular vs plural tenses from selected members.  ::)

There just ain't no justice in this world. Here I was just trying to be helpful and post in the spirit of ultimate inclusiveness and look at how much grief I get. (If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.) :D
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!