iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moisture meter

Started by Kombucha20, June 22, 2022, 08:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kombucha20

Looking for recommendations on a good moister meter for lumber grading that won't break the bank.
Thanks 

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kombucha20

I'd like to get one under 150$ there's tons of them on Amazon in the 40$ range, but I don't know how good they are. The one I get won't be used very heavily but I'd like to get a good accurate one.

Southside

You can get a good, fast, and cheap moisture meter, the trick is you can only pick two of those qualities.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Crossroads

Quote from: Southside on June 22, 2022, 10:59:09 PM
You can get a good, fast, and cheap moisture meter, the trick is you can only pick two of those qualities.  
I have all 3 covered, unfortunately they are covered by 2 meters and they are both telling separate lies 🙈
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

WDH

There is no instant pudding when it comes to moisture meters.  It really a function of how important it is to know the right answer.  I operate a kiln and the right answer is critical.  It the right answer is also very important to you day in and day out, you will need to increase your budget. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

K-Guy

There is no way around it, a good meter mean spending some money but if you take care of it, it will last for years.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Tom King

Quote from: K-Guy on June 23, 2022, 08:28:00 AM

There is no way around it, a good meter mean spending some money but if you take care of it, it will last for years.
That's a fact.  Mine is a Delmhorst that I bought new in the 1970's.  It's analog and uses a 9V battery.  I never leave a battery in it, and it still reads right along with any other one, of any type, I've ever checked it by.

Thank You Sponsors!