iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Outdoor Bridge and Camp Construction

Started by Stan P, November 14, 2005, 06:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan P

Hello All,

I recently bought a woodlot in CT, primarily to hunt and camp with the kids.  The previous owner had built 3 bridges over small creeks.  He used small steel ibeams with wood across the top.  It looks like he used the wrong wood, since after just 15 years it is so rotted out there is almost nothing left. 
  I want to resurface the bridges and have heard that black locust would be best, but I have lots of white pine, hemlock and red oak.  Could any of those work?
  I want to build a small camp next summer.  A simple one room structure totally off the grid with plank exterior and was wondering if any of you would have ideas or know where I could find ideas for design. 

thanks
Stan

HARLEYRIDER

I'd say hemlock for your bridges, and white pine for your log cabin
Greenwoods Timberworks

TN_man

If you have any white oak, I would use that for the bridges, definitely not the red oak.
The white pine would be great for the cabin.
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

ARKANSAWYER

I would look for some black locust or walnut.  Do not know anything about hemlock but the others will not last long.

ARKANSAWYER

mark davidson

I use hemlock for exterior, almost as good as cedar. and strong. makes good deck framing instead of the pressure treated stuff.

Stan P

Several of you have suggested black locust would be best for the bridge.  I think I finally found a guy who can cut me some in CT. Will that shrink much when it dries?  How long should I dry it before attaching to the beams.  Obviously if it shrinks a lot, can't put it up wet.

thanks

raycon

I have 20 or 30 black locust logs if your other source is short logs/boards.

Black Locust has minimal shrinkage for a hardwood. Less than white oak. I don't have the #'s in front of me at the moment.

If you think about using Hemlock and it may have to carry a load make sure its clear (minimal knots) and structurally sound( no shake). 

Lot of stuff..

Thank You Sponsors!