iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Certificate of Occupancy

Started by DouginUtah, July 10, 2008, 05:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DouginUtah

For those of you who know what I have been doing for the past two years and 39 days, be advised that I received my Certificate of Occupancy from the county building inspectors. I can now move in as I have met the requirements of the 2006 IRC.

Still a lot of work to do, landscaping, storage sheds, etc.

This is not another McMansion. Probably the plainest looking house (outside) built in the county this year. Only 1280 s.f. but the full basement is also completely finished.

Never again!  :D

-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

olyman

ya know---ive heard other people say that never again thing---and they had to recant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D ;D

Larry

Quote from: DouginUtah on July 10, 2008, 05:45:55 PM
I received my Certificate of Occupancy from the county building inspectors. I can now move in as I have met the requirements of the 2006 IRC.

What???  You living in some communist country or something? ;D ;D

Justa kidding...way to go and I'm happy your done. 8) 8) 8)  I'm just starting on my place...hope it is done in two years...if not the boss is gonna be really really mad.  I'm looking forward to the journey.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

sprucebunny

Must not be any housing police here ..... I sure didn't have any cabinets OR certificates when I moved in !!!!

I'm one of the ones who said never again but "civilization" is speeding towards my location and solar panels are in my future.....

Congratulations, Doug  8) 8) It  sounds like you had a long journey and got a well earned and official welcoming/permit  8)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Don P

Congrats Doug  8)

better hurry Larry the '09 version of the Its Really Communism book is on da way  :D

DouginUtah

Quote from: Don P on July 10, 2008, 09:00:23 PM
better hurry Larry the '09 version of the Its Really Communism book is on da way  :D

Ain't that the truth! Imagine, all circuit breakers must be arc-fault. I don't recall the prices but I'm guessing at least five times the price of a normal breaker.

Thanks for the 'pats' everyone.

Too bad I don't have TV or internet at the new house yet.

As for my garden up there, I found out that parsnips are a cool weather plant. Out of six feet of them not one came up. Too hot.

When I picked up the certificate I said to the clerk in a loud voice, "If you ever see me in this office again, immediately call security and have me forcefully removed."  Everyone cracked up because they knew what I was saying.  :D
-Doug

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

DanG

Wow Doug!  I'm in awe, as I am of anyone who builds their own house with their own hands.  I started mine about 2 years ago and got as far as pouring the footings.  I bogged down at that point, and can't decide whether to proceed. :-\  Anyway, I'm proud of you for sticking with it, and I'd sure like to see some pics. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

easymoney

where i live there is no building restrictions. i can build what i want and move in when i want unless of course if i was borrowing the money to build the bank might have questions and requirements. i like it that way. most  countys around me  have a $1,500.00 building permit fee for any building with inspections at every phase of construction i usually dont spend that much on my buildings.

rebocardo

> but the full basement is also completely finished.

I don't think anyone has ever regretted having a full finished basement   :)  I know I would like one, at least I have a 1/2 a one.

Pictures would be nice.

bck

Congradulations   smiley_clapping

I built my house too and agree unless there is a disaster it wont happen again.

easymoney you can build without restrictions? NICE  My county wouldnt let me build my house with lumber from the sawmill, had to be grade stamped to use  ::)

Tom

I'd sure regret having a full, finished basement.  :-\

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Radar67

Tom, wouldn't that be an indoor pool in your area?  ;)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Tom

Yeah, either that or a two story boat.  :D :D

Don_Papenburg

I must be slow  ,   Been working on mine for ten years now .  I have gotten as far as the kitchen  this year .  most brickwork outside is done ,the mudroom and head were finnished two years ago the pantry three years ago,and  the masterbath last year except for the shower that I will finnish this year .  then the living room and bedroom  attic and basement when ever I get to them . But it is all paid for .   Congrats on your house being built in record time .    Dang Just start building ,I had my footings in a yearbefore I started to pour the foundation.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Gary_C

Congratulations Doug. Sounds to me like you got done in a record time.  :D

Does that mean you are going to abandon that tent down by the river?   ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Mr Mom

My grandpa built his house and it wasnt done when he sold it.
Started 40 some years ago.
all reclaimed wood. it was cheaper back then.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

Don P

Ancient Chinese proverb;
"Man who finish house die"
20 years and I haven't gone for the C of O yet. Going for immortality  :D

easymoney

(Ancient Chinese proverb;
"Man who finish house die")

then i should live a long life. it looks like before i finish a project i get side tracked and never finish the first one.  :D

DouginUtah

Quote from: Gary_C on July 11, 2008, 12:52:43 AM
Does that mean you are going to abandon that tent down by the river?   ;D

Gary,

I tried to come up with something to replace "In an old tent down by the river" but I had a hard time thinking of something to top that!

So I resorted to the old real estate standby until I think of something better.   :D ;D

(Actually, I intended to make this a PM but it didn't turn out that way.)
-Doug

---

Don P

I think it was Henry Ford that said you can only take off in a headwind  :)

Thank You Sponsors!