iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Value add project

Started by Bruno of NH, April 14, 2020, 05:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

It wasn't complicated but I did learn several things and will do some the same and some different on the next one. I made mine 48" long X 24" wide, 13" deep (I used a 1X10 and a 1X3 but normally one 1X12 or 2-2X6's is more likely) and 36" legs. Final inside dimensions were 48" Long X 22" wide X 12" deep in this case (Normally would be 11" deep).

1. I will put the widest board on the bottom if different widths are used - it has more fasteners connected to the legs to hold the weight (I used a 1X3 and a 1X10 - the 1X3 only had one screw in it but being on the bottom it holds the weight. I did add small cut-off 2X4 blocks underneath as a ledge for extra support)

2. The sides and ends are not flush with the legs and I need to add one inch on each side/end to attach the legs to. (I just used a 1X1 sticker as a spacer when pre-drilling my holes and the legs hold the sides and ends together. If I were flat packing I would have 2 ends, 2 sides w/ledges, floor pieces 22" X 4' total out of whatever floor material I had handy, 2 more 48" stickers to hold the floor pieces down.  )

3. I used a 1"X 1"X 4' sticker as a ledge on the bottom running the length on each side as a pair of ledges of the planter to hold the bottom boards - that worked okay and I'll do the same next time but I will tack a second 1"X 1"X 4' sticker on top of the floor boards to keep them from bouncing out once placed.

4. I used 1-5/8" screws where 2-1X pieces met and connected the legs with 3" screws. Next time I will use full 2" screws for most and continue with the 3" for leg connections.

5. I did not include any drains - I will continue with that with the opinion there is enough gaps between the boards and connections for excess water to drain. The planter is to hold dirt not liquid. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it if the customer asks :D.)

I can see where making a bunch would be much faster as you can pre-cut all the parts and drill the pilot holes the set up a jig arrangement and connect the pieces really fast.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Stephen1

Looking good guys. I have been on a 2 week road trip so had to stop my sales.
I sold my 30 as a kit, we included instructions and screws. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Old Greenhorn

I have been following this thread since @Bruno of NH started it. Even asked the wife if she had an interest, she was lukewarm. But since I am home now, I have been thinking of my own favorite plants (beefsteak tomatoes!). I can see I am falling into the void and will wind up making one of these for a test or fun, or both.
 Besides cherry >:( what are you guys using for materials on these. I would think pine, with a limited lifetime would be the common choice. I am seeing a lot that are pretty deep and I am thinking 10" is enough. Any opinions on that?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

OGH,

I used what was handy. A poplar 1X10 and a leftover 3" wide batten for the sides and ends and 1X4's out of poplar for the legs and ash 1X8 for the floor crosspieces. Yes, it would have a limited life expectancy but I'd be surprised if the customer could not get 3 years or of it, more if they empty it and store it over the winter months. I used X head dry wall screws. I bought some more today@$3.99/lb. I am confident it will not need 1/2 lb of screws per planter and I calculated about 26 bf for the rest of the materials. It was very stable when assembled.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

potatoes and carrots might need more, tomatoes will be ok. you can prune the secondary leaves and train them up a string/pole 8 feet tall, and get perfect tomatoes.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WDH

On the ones that I made, I allowed for bottom slats to be covered with a piece of metal hardware cloth and screen wire for drainage.  I believe that board bottoms will rot too fast.  I made some out of pine, but the best ones I suspect will be the ones that I made out of red cedar.  This one was made to sit flat on the ground or on a patio.  You could also put some paver blocks under the corners. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

stanwelch

Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

tule peak timber

WDH, that would sell like hotcakes where I'm at.  Nice....
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Old Greenhorn

So I was doing more market research this morning and came to find that I believe we are all doing this wrong. I found this little 'money maker' priced just right.

I am thinking the 'builder' does not have a lot invested in their equipment, so they can afford these 'give-away' prices. :D ;D
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

21incher

I saw a craigslist add the other day where the guy added even more value. He had made a similar raised bed and would deliver it, dump in a couple bags of dirt, plant a half dozen seedlings for $400.00 😲.  I bet you could sell bags of compost easily to those picking up beds. Millions of new gardeners this year looking to get started. I wonder if a frame that held 5 gallon buckets that are deep enough for tomato plant roots would sell.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

WV Sawmiller

21",

That may not be as out of line as many of us think. smiley_smug01 Many folks don't have a truck or trailer, which lots of us take for granted, so the extra value of the set up and delivery is significant to them. Good catch.
Howard Green

Crusarius

hmmm, I have an old 1980 C30 camper special with a dump box on it. I wonder if ppl be willing to pay $150 per truckload of manure for those raised beds?

I can haul about a ton of manure. That goes a pretty long ways.

RichTired

More inventory of SYP raised planter boxes.

Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

stavebuyer

I made one for myself out of 2" red cedar. It will outlast me. Built from Pine..they will be needing more lol

RichTired

That's the goal.  :)

But, it is the material I have on hand.
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

Old Greenhorn

I still think the 'birch logs in a vase' has the better margin. :D

WV Sawmiller

OGH,

Yeah and I bet you also sell dry corn stalks around Halloween for more than the corn they grew. :D Who'd have even thought the stalk would sell for more for decoration than the crop for food. I think my first money earned was when an old neighbor paid me a dime to stack up the old corn stalks to burn

Now if you can just come up with a market for my sawdust you will be my hero for life. :D :D :D
Howard Green

barbender

WV, you need to market it to the hippies for their composting toilets😁
Too many irons in the fire

caveman

I hate burning slabs of cedar and cypress especially.  Today, instead of running the mill and being productive and giving the hog another day or two on this planet, I cut some cypress slabs into 10 1/2" lengths and made a couple of planters for the entrance of our driveway.  

My ulterior motive is to sell some stuff.  What used to be a relatively large cattle ranch across the road from my place is now a county owned equestrian park.  With the shutdown there have been a lot of horse folks going in and out lately.  My hope is some will recognize that useful things can be made out of the slabs.  I intend to put a few up by my fence with an honor pay bucket.  If they take them, I don't have to get rid of them.  If they pay, good for us.  My slab pile is significant since we have had a burn ban for over a month.

My youngest daughter and I planted a couple of vinka in the planters.  She will need to make some cutting and start some more.  I told her she could start rooting herbs this summer and by August she could be making and selling herb gardens.
Cabbage palm, live oak and southern redcedar in the background.
Caveman

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: barbender on May 22, 2020, 11:49:10 PM
WV, you need to market it to the hippies for their composting toilets😁
BB,

I advertise it on my Craigslist ad and I advertise my bus stop as a possible outhouse or composting toilet with a free bag of sawdust thrown in. We need more hippies.

If you know of a better method to contact more hippies please let me know. I have looked for "Hippies 'r us" but could not find them. :D

I have one hippy lady as a customer. She has pet potbelly pigs, sheep, a miniature donkey, etc. She is living with a redneck gun toting good ol boy with a couple of plott hounds and Pitt bulls. It is so refreshing to see the hippies and rednecks finally getting along so well. :D
Howard Green

doc henderson

My neighbor Jimmy who has turned many bowls for us and others made his own version of a flower box for his MIL.  was built with a plastic liner.

made from leftover pine, and a leftover love sign.  all repurposed.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

shinnlinger

I've been making some fitness logs for all those folks that can't get in the gym....

Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

doc henderson

any more pics or details.  neat idea.  Is that the future small home builder in the pic?  Looks cool!  any particular routine with these.  I can see handles, how do you get them in and secure them.  what kind of wood and how heavy?  these are all my questions! 8) :D

shinnlinger

I slice 1-1/2 inch off one side, flip and repeat    Use mill as clamp to chainsaw out handle holes   

Drill 1-1/4 holes and insert closet rod after screwing the sides back on   

Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Thank You Sponsors!