iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best Chainsaw for Starting Out in Forestry?

Started by EC, April 11, 2020, 12:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC

I've started a hands on program that involves two days per week of solid chainsaw work, mostly bucking but felling and limbing as well. The trees are mostly <16" but I want the ability to saw bigger and thicker down the road.

What size/weight/power do I buy for my all-around saw?

Should go pro or should I go cheap in case I make a mistake and break it or mid-rang $$?

40cc or 50cc or, ? 18" or 20" bar or, ? Pro or farm/garden? Weight?

Thanks for your help! I honestly don't know what to do and have been banging my head against a wall trying to figure it out. So far the best info has been on this forum.

lxskllr

How's your budget? Since this is (presumably)gonna be your occupation, I'd get a pro saw. They typically have more power, less weight, and easier repairability. One saw only is kind of a tough order. It's eventually gonna fall down one way or the other. It'll either be too big or too small for the task at hand. Something like a Stihl ms261 would get a lot of work done for you in the size you're cutting now, and not be too heavy. You'll also have room to grow going up as your needs change.

EC

Quote from: lxskllr on April 11, 2020, 12:44:10 AMSince this is (presumably)gonna be your occupation
I am not entirely sure it will be, but I don't mind having the right equipment. Pro price is up there but if it's the way to go, then no problem, I'll do it.

Ianab

As a starting point a 60cc "farm" grade saw with a 20" bar would "get the job done". I've taken down ~36" trees with my trusty MS310. I assume the "hands-on" means they are teaching you safe felling techniques / saw maintenance etc, and will show you how to saw larger trees safely. You don't need a fancy saw for that, you need to know what you are doing, and have a reliable saw that's sharp and tuned right (no matter what saw it is) 

A "pro" grade saw is going to be a little lighter, a little more powerful, and last a lot longer. Hence if you are making your living with a saw, you pay the extra. If you can cut down 10% more trees in a day, you soon pay for the better saw. If you decide you are going to be cutting trees for a career, you will end up with several saws and will get a feel for what you need (for the particular work you are doing). You might end up wanting a more grunty 70-80cc saw for felling, and ~40cc for limbing / pruning, and keep the old 60cc as a backup. If you don't end up working on the end of a chainsaw, at least you have a decent firewood saw (and will know how to use it) 

Some guys here are felling 36" pines all day, so of course they want a 90cc MS661. Other guys are pruning and thinning plantations on steep hills, so a 35cc Echo is all they want to drag around all day, and all they need to cut down ~8" dia trees. Both are "professional use", and the right tool for the job at hand.   

So I wouldn't go out and buy a Pro grade saw just for a training course. Sorta like you don't need a Learjet to learn how to fly. You can start out in a Cessna 172 and work your way up.  ;) ;D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Air Lad

If you are strong enough to handle a 046 Stihl. A second hand one will get you started reasonably on 16 inch and up  on a budget with enough grunt to cover most jobs
Wish you well in the training process  smiley_thumbsup

Southside

Dealer support is just as important as the brand of saw. You don't want a modern, computer controlled saw that can only be serviced by one shop 100 miles away. 

For sure go with a pro line saw, the longevity will repay you many times over. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

hedgerow

If your budget can stand it I would find a left over 461 Stihl. You can run a 20 inch bar on it most of the time and when needed you can run a 24 or even a 36  inch once in a while. Over the years I have found cheap saws are just that there cheap. I have a 461 for six years now and have had zero issues with it. All its ever cut is hardwood locust and hedge. 

sawguy21

Where are you in BC with trees less than 16"? :D IMHO, you would do well starting out with a 60-70cc saw and 20" bar, upgrading the bar and chain is a lot cheaper than the saw. You will likely find you will neeed different saws for different tasks there is no one size fits all. Find a dealer that knows the product and the market and will work with you.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

EC

:D It is a new stand that we are clearing. Thanks for the advice all! It's humbling to be out of my element with a small knowledge base.

So is what I am hearing that...?:

• An MS 250 is probably a little small?
  • I want something probably with a 20" to start and room to add more. What about 18"?
  • I should think in the 60 cc range? How about 50cc?
  • Dealer's gotta be good
  • I'll eventually end up with 2 saws min. So I am thinking this purchase will be medium size that can handle the larger stuff..?

I'm hoping to have it 30 years. One thing bugging me is how much will the extra weight from 10lbs - 14lb saws affect my mood when using it all day?  I'm young strong and healthy but am on a 30 year timeline and want to work smart. pc_smiley  Thank you all. It has been a lot of fun getting out there and learning! Working in nature for money, not so bad either.

Evanguy

If you want it for 30 years, id get a pro grade saw. Maybe something like a ms362. 

I have a ms291 that is a nice saw for the price when you can pick them up onsale. Its a 55cc saw mid grade. Feels a good step above the homeowner grade like my ms170 and ms211

lxskllr

I like the lineup of saws I'm using, and would only make 1 possible change.

echo cs2511t top handle(25cc/12" bar). - it's my climbing saw when I infrequently climb. It's light as a feather and compact. I can hang it from my pistol belt at work, and with a couple hip flask liquor bottles for fuel/bar oil, I can venture far into the backcountry and get stuff done.

echo cs400(40cc/16"&1 8"bars) - lightweight, good power. I use for all the small stuff I don't want to beat the 2511 up on. Limbing, bucking, felling, cutting brush, It's one of my most used saws.

Stihl ms362cm(58cc/20"&25" bars) - formerly my "big" saw. I've had the 25" bar buried in black oak, and it gets the job done. The 20" bar is a better match though. If I were to buy today, I might replace it with the 462cm. Just a bit heavier, but more saw all around.

Stihl 661cm(91cc/20", 25", 36" bars) - My new big saw I use mainly for milling, but also any big wood that needs to be cut. Aside from milling, I could live without it, especially if I had a 462.

Each saw has a ~20cc step to the next, and each will fulfill the functions of the one above and below it for one-off work, but if that work has to be performed regularly, it's better to use the saw more ideally suited to it.

This should give you an idea of what /I/ find useful, and the reasons I use them. I'm not a professional, and I'm not putting them through professional duty, but they all have extensive use, and I'm happy with all of them.

edit:
BTW, when comparing recommended bar lengths on manufacturer websites, if they list 2 sizes, the smaller one will be better suited to the saw. If they list a wide range of sizes, one in the middle is the right pick. They'll work with the longer bars, but it won't be ideal. If you frequently do work that requires a 24" bar, you want a saw that's listed with that at the low end-middle. For a Stihl, the 462cm would be a good match.

ehp

Stihl 461 or 462, Husky 365 or 372 or 572 , that will cover pretty much everything and last ,

gspren

Since you said you're young, strong and healthy then go to a 70cc class saw. When I was your age I could handle that all day, not now, I use a Stihl 044 (70cc) and once I hit my 60s I also got a 261 (50cc) makes a nice combo. Now I use the 261 most of the time for up to about 16" wood and grab the 044 for bigger. You really do need 2 saws minimum.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

EC

Thanks. The 261 seems like it would be nice to have for all the jobs it would work for. A local Echo dealer offered me the cs490 floor model for $400 CAD. Seems like a comparable saw to the 261 at a pretty good price point...?

I'm worried I'll have to shell out another $800 if I am working and find I need a larger saw. Then again, based on what I am reading, I will eventually do that anyway.

lxskllr

The 490 isn't in the same class as the 261(as the price reflects), but it should be a good saw that'll do a lot of work for you. IMO, echo provides the best bang/buck for a new saw purchase. If I were on a budget, and wanted a fleet of new saws(say to start a business), I wouldn't hesitate to buy all echo. They may not always be the best for power to weight ratio, but they're priced well and have quality Japanese manufacture.

weimedog

If this will be a career, either a Stihl 461 or Husqvarna 572xp would be a good investment. Depends on which has a dealer closer in. Stihl 462 a bit pricy here but if you have the cash another one. Dealer support needs to be the deciding factor.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Magicman

My vote goes to the Professional MS362. (not C-M) This one normally wears a 20" bar but today it was sporting a 25" bar.  It's ~1.3 lbs lighter than the MS311 Farm & Ranch saw.  Both are 59cc.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I like spending someone's money.  ;D 
 I have a 70cc saw and did have a 50cc. The big one would be used for cutting the trees down and bucking the logs and any big limbs. Than I would use the 50cc to limb with. A light saw for a kinda old guy. For years I used a 70cc saw, that is all I had. Than I started to use a 50cc saw. Made a BIG difference on the pain of my shoulder. Made it feel a lot better.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Patrick NC

Quote from: thecfarm on April 12, 2020, 08:15:37 AM
I like spending someone's money.  ;D
I have a 70cc saw and did have a 50cc. The big one would be used for cutting the trees down and bucking the logs and any big limbs. Than I would use the 50cc to limb with. A light saw for a kinda old guy. For years I used a 70cc saw, that is all I had. Than I started to use a 50cc saw. Made a BIG difference on the pain of my shoulder. Made it feel a lot better.
I have a husky 372xp and a stihl ms260. The 260 gets way more use than the 372, but it's there when I need it.  If I had to choose just one,  it would be a toss up. The 260 is nice, but the 372 in a 20 inch log with a fresh chain will bring a smile to your face! 😁
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Nebraska

If somebody forced me to own 1 saw (oh the horror)......it would be my husquvarna 372xp.

Patrick NC

Quote from: Nebraska on April 12, 2020, 03:55:20 PM
If somebody forced me to own 1 saw (oh the horror)......it would be my husquvarna 372xp.
372xp is the 350 Chevy of chainsaws.  Theres bigger and smaller,  but just not better!😁
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

PoginyHill

I like Stihl's MS 261. It is my go-to chainsaw. I too don't deal with a lot of big stuff, so I generally use a 16" bar - lighter and easy to handle. The 261 is the smallest Pro line that Stihl offers and I believe has the best power-weight ratio of any in their line-up.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Thank You Sponsors!