iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Switching to Mineral oil In BMS250 Sharpener

Started by Mfrost459, November 11, 2023, 08:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfrost459

Well today I drained the sump on the sharpener and changed the oil. Wow, what a nasty job! I regularly clean the magnets and have add oil when needed. Been using this for 2-1/2 years and decided it was time to change the oil. Pump was having a hard time pumping enough volume to keep the CBN wheel coated. Strained the oil as I dumped it out and there was a lot of metal shavings suspended in the oil. 
I decided to use mineral oil this time. Sharpened 12 blades so far it seems to be doing good. Mineral oil doesn't smell like the Wood-Mizer oil.
For those of you who have been using mineral what differences have you noticed?
Wood-Mizer LT50 Wide 2021 - LT-40 - 1992
EG-200 board Edger - New Holland Skilsteer - Kubota SVL95-2 skidsteer
Nyle L53 Kiln -  Nyle L200S Container Kiln

Have a great day milling!

caveman

We recently bought a sharpener and have run mineral oil in it.  It does well.  I was curious if hydraulic fluid would also work.  Lately, we have had a bit of it on hand and it is cheaper than the $32 a gallon that mineral oil costs.  I clean the used band/blades in hydraulic fluid in a drum before sharpening or setting.  It cuts the crud pretty well.
Caveman

customsawyer

I've used mineral oil for years. You will be glad you switched.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

YellowHammer

I switched to mineral oil years ago, and would never go back.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Crossroads

I switched to mineral oil before I started, I see no reason to go back. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Lewisman

Where are you all obtaining the mineral oil?

Last Friday I finally pulled the trigger on the purchase of a BMS250.  I was told 4-6 weeks until I can pick up the machine.

Crossroads

Quote from: Lewisman on November 20, 2023, 06:37:54 AM
Where are you all obtaining the mineral oil?

Last Friday I finally pulled the trigger on the purchase of a BMS250.  I was told 4-6 weeks until I can pick up the machine.
I have gotten it from Amazon as well as at tractor supply. If you go to tractor supply, you will find it with the medical supplies for horses. Apparently it is used as a laxative for horses 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

terrifictimbersllc

Walmart sells it as a laxative for people. 16 ounce,  1 pint, $2.84. Equate brand. this is 22.76 a gallon, haven't seen it anywhere else cheaper. I will probably start using it when my current Woodmizer supply runs out. Probably get some funny looks when I check out.

It should taste better than the Woodmizer brand. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

doc henderson

I used to get a gallon of the food safe stuff for 26 bucks.  We no longer use it for a laxative in children.  risk of aspirating and getting oil pneumonitis.  Our lungs are water based.   :)

food grade MO

there was gallon for as low as $23.50
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Nebraska

I carry it all the time....  check with  your local cow Doctor..... :)

Southside

TT - the looks can't be worse than when the UPS guy delivers the case of enemas I have to order once a year or so.  Of course the box says exactly what's inside.  Now for those who don't know, they are used on newborn calves to make my life a lot easier. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Lewisman

I certainly didn't expect to learn about the laxative use for food-grade mineral oil.

Thanks for the info. 

Lewisman

I just did a quick search for our local Rural King store in Terre Haute - it's listed for $19.99 per gallon.

caveman

Just FYI, our TSC will price match with Rural King.  TSC is three miles away from me and RK is 20.  I pull up RK's price on my phone and they change RK's price at checkout.  I have had them do this on barbed wire, oil and other stuff recently.  Each time it saved about $10 per item.  Mineral oil at the local TSC was $32 a gallon today.
Caveman

doc henderson

You certainly do not need food safe mineral oil for a saw band sharpener...Unless you live in WV and your given name is Howard, and you slice the family Ham on your sawmill for thanksgiving! :snowball:     ::)   :o   8)   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

OzarkChris

I've been using mineral oil for years on the cutting boards I make. I really get amused by ads promoting "Food Grade" mineral oils. To my knowledge, and someone please correct me if I've been wrong all this time, mineral oil only comes in two types, food grade & medical grade (both of which are exactly the same). I've not seen any quantity (pint to IBC container) doesn't show laxative as its' use. My thinking, if you can drink the stuff, it's probably foodsafe and medical grade too. 

I tell my customers not to fall for the hype of food grade advertising - Amazon sells 10 oz of "food grade" for $20, Wal-Mart, Kroger, etc sell 16 oz (pint) for ~$3. 

I looked back at my records and I bought a 55 gal drum from Granger 6 years ago for $125 - I still have about 10 gal left.

A little off subject, but if y'all do make cutting boards add some vit E to your mineral oil soak it will help keep the board a bit more sanitary. I use 4 oz Vit E per 5 gal Mineral oil. I understand this can only be done during the initial soak - once the grain is soaked the Vit E will be unable to be utilized.

Stephen1

OzarkChris, I'll be interested to hear more about the foodgrade. I have been involved with a gentleman up here that produced 25,000 bd ft of cheese boards per year, pre covid. (his numbers are drastically reduced now)
He used mineral oil that was Kosher on all his cheese boards. He was only able to use certain woods as cheeseboards to be certified food safe. Ash, maple, cherry, birch. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

doc henderson

Mineral oil is a type of petroleum that can be refined into many different products, including food grade mineral oil and non-food grade mineral oil. Food grade mineral oil has been approved by the FDA and is used in many ways such as cooking, baking, frying, and manufacturing. Medical grade mineral oil is food grade mineral oil that has been processed to ensure it is free from contaminants 1.
The primary difference between food grade mineral oil and non-food grade mineral oil is that food grade mineral oil is safe for human consumption, while non-food grade mineral oil is not. Non-food grade mineral oil is used in many industrial applications, such as lubricating machinery and as a cutting fluid 1.
It is important to note that even though food grade mineral oil is approved for contact with food, food-grade mineral oil lubricants for food machinery contain corrosion inhibitors, foam suppressants, and anti-wear agents 1. Therefore, it is recommended to use food grade mineral oil that is specifically labeled for use on cutting boards and other food preparation surfaces 1.

the above is off the internet so take it for what it is worth.  Lubriplate makes a bunch of mineral oil-based lubes, but with many additives, so I would not use lubriplate stuff on boards.  the amount ingested of any oil on a board would be small.  some oils can go rancid, and you would not want that on your boards.  If selling commercially, you prob. want/need an FDA approved food grade oil.

Lewisman

As I prepare for taking possession of a sharpener in a few weeks, I read through the BMS250 online owner's manual.  It appears the sharpener's fluid capacity is about a gallon.

I certainly expected some fluid level reduction due to the atomization mist and fluid staying on the blades being sharpened.  But, I had absolutely no expectation of the apparent volume of fluid needed to keep the sharpener operating properly. 

The 55 gallon purchase described by OzarkChris makes me realize the mental image of fluid useage I initially conjured is pitifully incorrect.

doc henderson

I saw 5-gallon jugs and 4 packs of 1-gallon cases.  after 1 gallon, the price is the same or goes up.  Amazon has the big totes but not free shipping if I recall correctly,

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Lewisman on November 22, 2023, 08:41:37 AM
As I prepare for taking possession of a sharpener in a few weeks, I read through the BMS250 online owner's manual.  It appears the sharpener's fluid capacity is about a gallon.

I certainly expected some fluid level reduction due to the atomization mist and fluid staying on the blades being sharpened.  But, I had absolutely no expectation of the apparent volume of fluid needed to keep the sharpener operating properly.

The 55 gallon purchase described by OzarkChris makes me realize the mental image of fluid useage I initially conjured is pitifully incorrect.
You keep the level about an inch from the top of the pan, about the same as up to the bottom of the chain that connects the three gears. To maintain this level I am probably adding a quart of few times I clean off the magnets. Most of the oil use is that which is sticking to the blades. 55 gallons would be a lifetime supply for most anyone. Best as I can tell I have used three 5 gallon pails in about 14 years of sharpening with two different CBN grinders. Of course it will depend on how much blade sharpening you do, if it helps, probably on average I have run a sawmill about 300 to 350 hours a year during this time. If you buy three or 4 gallons of mineral oil to start, you should be set for quite a while. Certainly not be caught by surprise on needing to re-order a gallon or two.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Mfrost459

Quote from: Lewisman on November 22, 2023, 08:41:37 AM
As I prepare for taking possession of a sharpener in a few weeks, I read through the BMS250 online owner's manual.  It appears the sharpener's fluid capacity is about a gallon.

I certainly expected some fluid level reduction due to the atomization mist and fluid staying on the blades being sharpened.  But, I had absolutely no expectation of the apparent volume of fluid needed to keep the sharpener operating properly.

I bought three gallons of oil and have sharpened over 100 blades and haven't opened the third gallon. Initially filled with two gallons and it is almost at the same level. It will take a while to go through 55 gallons. 
Wood-Mizer LT50 Wide 2021 - LT-40 - 1992
EG-200 board Edger - New Holland Skilsteer - Kubota SVL95-2 skidsteer
Nyle L53 Kiln -  Nyle L200S Container Kiln

Have a great day milling!

Stephen1

I sharpen a bit for others and myself.  I am on my 3rd 5 gallon jug in 5 years and will last me another 2-3 years. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!