iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vid camera for deer hunting

Started by flip, November 15, 2007, 01:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flip

I'm laying off the deer this year and just going to hunt them with a video camera, but which one?  I looked around and the "pros" are using these $2-3000 units that are just a little out of my budget, like $1500 out.  I'm looking for something that's in the $3-500 range (or less if there are good reviews).  I was told a 20X zoom was a minimum requirement.  Digital?  Never messed with them and I've never played around with editing but open to it, so I guess it almost has to be digital.  Any help would be appreciated.  I may want to tape some hunts in the future so please also consider durability.
Phil
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

beenthere

Furby would be the resident expert, IMO.

But a $150 digital camera will also take some very good video too. Just as important to hold the cheap ones still when taking pictures/video as it is the expensive ones.

(I am going out shortly to bow hunt, and just rigged my $130 kodak to the bow quiver...just in case I get some shooting). 
;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

flip

I've been looking around for 2 days now and some of these things are DVD some are DV, I don't know what I really want/need.  Obviously this would be used for things other than hunting vids.  Been checking some hunting sites and forums and have not seen one stand out more than the others.  Been to epinions.com and there are literally hundreds that would probably fill the bill bit this is kinda confusing.  I can say I had a Sony Hi-8 severaly years ago (ex wife got that) and I liked it but it seems like digital or DVD is the "latest and greatest".  Plan is to set up the pop-up blind with a couple chairs a tri-pod and watch them play around in the field, maybe get some fighting or the 14 teen pointer I almost creamed with my truck yesterday.

Furby

What do you plan to do with the videos?

Kevin

flip

Maybe edit them and put on disk for posterity, maybe just put them on a disk without editing.  I guess some cameras come with editing software if you want to use it.  Don't have any need to save it to my computer, just take off camera and save to a DVD.

flip

Well, I think I got it narrowed down to a Sony DCR DVD108.  Any feedback or comments on it are appreciated.

Furby

Have never used a DVD one before, but it has several features I'd be looking for.
Manual focus, nightshot, and image stabilization. smiley_thumbsup
The digital zoom is over rated, so don't pay any attention to that, but the 40x optical isn't bad.
If it's in your price range, I think it's a keeper.

I'd hold off one week though and see what's in the Thanksgiving ads. :)
Mine was over $300 and I got it last Black Friday for $120. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!