iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deer Hunting 2010

Started by Ron Scott, November 03, 2010, 01:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

Montana Whitetail. Son Todd got this whitetail near Wilsa, Montana in the Crazy Mountains last Saturday.

~Ron

Magicman

Very nice buck!!!  He's squared up very evenly too.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Norm

Nice buck and some beautiful scenery also!

Jeff

I don't expect to have much success this year, but I'll be going up and enjoying it anyhow. You need to have deer to fill a tag. :-\   
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Raider Bill

My Sons all amped up about this years deer hunt in Tenn. I'd love to see him bag his first deer but truthfully I think bambi's safe.  :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

sandhills

Jeff come on over, we have tons of em and I'm getting tired of putting my hot wires back up every morning after they run through them every night >:(

barbender

Here's a fresh pic off of my buddie's trail cam, I think he's hoping it shows back up opening morning!

Too many irons in the fire

Jeff

Quote from: sandhills on November 04, 2010, 12:59:16 AM
Jeff come on over, we have tons of em and I'm getting tired of putting my hot wires back up every morning after they run through them every night >:(

I'd like to take you up on that some day. :)

barbender

The deer that is, not the raccoon ::)
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

Our first Youth day is today.  They get to hunt with rifles during our first Primitive Weapons season.  I hope that my two youngest Grandsons are able to go this afternoon.  If they do the youngest gets to go with me I get to go with the youngest.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Yea, Marty called.  Ben goes with him and I get to go with Luke.  I love it when a plan comes together.   smiley_thumbsup

Magicman

We got to the cabin about 2:00.  Luke and I saw over 20 deer which included 8 bucks.  One was a very nice mature 8 point.  The others were 6's, forkies, and spikes.  No shots today, but this was opening day.  The season goes until January 31st.

Luke, Marty, and Ben getting ready.

These two were less than 30 yards away.

Luke glassing for deer.

Ron Scott

Filled an antlerless permit yesterday afternoon with the bow, so now have to get at cutting it up.
~Ron

Lorax

I finally was able to get a buck bow hunting.  Shot this one Saturday morning.

Jeff

Nice one.  :)

I'll probably leave for the cabin sometime this week. Season starts a week from today. First year in a long time when I just dont care of I go.  Maybe my focus should be coyotes, but legally I cant shoot them during rifle season unless they are "doing or about to do damage"  which as far as I am concerned, always.

Patty

We have so many deer here, they are like rats with antlers.  >:(

They do a tremendous amount of damage to our crops every year. We feed them and shelter them every year and the DNR refuses to give out detriment tags, claiming the deer belong to the state right up until the minute you hit them with your car.  ::)

Jeff, you should head southwest first to Iowa and then on to Nebraska for your fill of deer.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Texas Ranger

Jeff, I just don't care anymore, either, shot my last deer some 5 years ago.  There was a moment after I shot him that I felt "Well, that was fun, don't think I want to do that anymore".

In teaching hunter safety we teach the stages a hunter goes through, or most hunters.  The last one is not to kill but pass on the knowledge and skills we may have learned.  We have a team teaching approach that all told represents about 200 years of hunting.

Lots of good stories there to pass on to the kids.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

badpenny

Jeff, every coyote I have ever shot had an evil gleam in its eyes. Same for crows. :D
Hope and Change, my foot,  It's time for Action and Results!

Raider Bill

Quote from: Jeff on November 08, 2010, 09:21:21 AM
Nice one.  :)

I'll probably leave for the cabin sometime this week. Season starts a week from today. First year in a long time when I just dont care of I go.  Maybe my focus should be coyotes, but legally I cant shoot them during rifle season unless they are "doing or about to do damage"  which as far as I am concerned, always.
Quote from: Texas Ranger on November 08, 2010, 09:48:43 AM
Jeff, I just don't care anymore, either, shot my last deer some 5 years ago.  There was a moment after I shot him that I felt "Well, that was fun, don't think I want to do that anymore".

In teaching hunter safety we teach the stages a hunter goes through, or most hunters.  The last one is not to kill but pass on the knowledge and skills we may have learned.  We have a team teaching approach that all told represents about 200 years of hunting.

Lots of good stories there to pass on to the kids.

I gave it up years ago too. Now I give my city boy Son tips and my wisdom........ 
I'm on a coyote shooting kick now.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Chuck White

Coyote = 1 bullet and a ditch. smiley_thumbsup

As far as I'm concerned, there is no season.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ron Scott

Lorax,

Congratulations on the bow kill. Very nice buck.
~Ron

sandhills

I didn't mean to give the wrong impression, I agree totally with Texas Ranger I've had a deer permit since I was 15 and I think I've filled 6 tags (I'm 37 now).  Two years ago was my nephews first deer hunt and on opening morning his dad, himself and I were all hunting in the same place when I had a really nice buck walk out in front of me.  My nephew was in a stand with his dad about a quarter mile away, thought I could push him past them and give him a shot but didn't work out.  It easily would have been the biggest I'd ever shot and was only 20 or so yards away but hey it was opening morning at dawn and who wants to end the season that early?  My nephew shot another nice one as I was trying to work the one I saw towards him so he was fit to be tied and everybody was happy.  Neither me or my BIL fired a shot that season and that's one of my most memorable seasons yet.  But Patty I still have dibs on Jeff getting a Nebraska deer first ;) :D

beenthere

Been very quiet the last week possibly due to the bluebird weather.

But the bow hunter in this article is pleased with his hunt. Talk of it being a record.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/outdoors/106829508.html
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

I've never shot a buck on my property, so since there are not any deer in which we can practice QDM with, I've decided if given a chance, will shoot the first legal buck I see. This in no way increases my next to nothing odds of getting a deer.

celliott

Quote from: Jeff on November 10, 2010, 04:50:52 PM
I've never shot a buck on my property, so since there are not any deer in which we can practice QDM with, I've decided if given a chance, will shoot the first legal buck I see. This in no way increases my next to nothing odds of getting a deer.

Jeff, we're pretty much in the same boat here in VT. We'll always take the first legal buck.  And there isnt alot of deer either. The state enacted antler restrictions a few years ago (can't take spikehorns) and there always praising the regulation saying everyone keeps taking bigger deer.  I personally haven't noticed, and don't really care for the restrictions.  My Grandfather, a wise man, has an interesting opinion on the antler restriction, and maybe someone here can comment more on it.

He believes that with the antler restriction, you can detract good genes from the genetic pool.  For example, if you pass up a 2 year old spike, but take a 2 year old 4 point, the 4 point 2 year old has better genetics, correct? and now that 4 point is out of the gene pool but the 2 year old spike, with worse genetics (antlerwise) is still in the gene pool. Does this make sense to anyone? opinions and experiences with antler restrictions in other states?
Opening weekend of rifle season is this weekend in Vermont  8) i'm still excited
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Thank You Sponsors!