iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hydraulic hoses

Started by xlogger, March 09, 2019, 05:55:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

My mill caught on fire a couple months ago while I was not near it. Didn't know it did it till I went back to saw. Lucky the whole machine didn't go to the ground. Main fire under gas tank full of gas. But it did burn several hoses and most of the wiring along with plastic blocks that ride the head up and down. Now after getting burnt again buying hyd hoses I'm looking into buying hoses in rolls and reusable fitting. I use to do this in the woods years ago when I  was logging. I think my TK mill uses Weatherhead and I'll check on that to make sure. So it has the most hyd hoses of anything I have, it might be my chose of brand to use. Wondering if anyone here does that and what brand you use and best  place to buy?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

1938farmall

Can definitely help you.  My tk1600 has a similar problem and I have used internet 'discount hydraulics' with great success.  They will make up a hose with only a $10 assembly charge.  I believe all the hose on TK's is single braid SAE 100R1AT & the fittings are JIC 37°.  Typically the hose has a swivel female fitting and the males are on a fixed component (manifold, cylinder, etc).  The small hoses are 1/4" & the larger are 1/2".  Selecting from the fitting chart is a bit daunting, but skip over British, Metric, O-Ring, and you are at JIC.  (no affiliation with 'discount')
aka oldnorskie

xlogger

It's no way I could order over the internet and wait for a hose, I usually need it right away. I was thinking more in the idea of buying hoses in 25-50 feet lengths and having reusable fitting on hand to repair them right away. With a good vise you can make one pretty fast.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

moodnacreek

Reusable fittings are hard to find and expensive. Most people don't know about them and they can't be used on some modern machines. I have been getting hoses from surplus center and if too long shorten them up with a reusable fitting.

1938farmall

In addition to being expensive, re-usables depend upon a sound outside layer of rubber for the fitting to bite into.  If the outside is poor the fitting will strip the rubber & blow off.
aka oldnorskie

chevytaHOE5674

The selection of re-usable fittings is also much smaller. If all you need it straight JIC fittings you maybe ok, but if you need long and short 90s, 45s, in JIC, flat face O-ring, NPT, BSP, etc they may not be available.

Personally I've had good luck with Gates hose and fittings from my local Napa. No way could I stock all the various size hoses and fittings necessary to cover myself for what I pay to have hoses made. If it's a common hose or one I can't live without (on hay baler for example) I just keep spares on hand so I can be back up and running even at midnight on a Sunday if need be.

starmac

Sometimes it is the trip to napa or other hose supplier that makes the reusable ones worth it.
I have stripped the ends off of scrap hoses for years, and probably have a hundred or so pounds of various ends on hand.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

chevytaHOE5674

All depends on what equipment you have. I have stuff with 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", and 1" in NPT, JIC, BSP, and now Flat face O-ring. For what all the various combinations of re-usable fittings and hose would cost to keep on hand I could hire a guy to fly a helicopter to Napa if need be. Lol

YellowHammer

I've not blown a hose on WM, but have popped many on my other equipment.  Seems like several of the OReillys auto parts here builds them, the farmers COOPs build them, and I have gotten shorties and pieced them together from Tractor Supply.  So even on Sunday I can get them if it's an emergency.  Or I wait until Monday and go to Oreilleys auto parts.  All the big tractor dealers make them while I wait, such as the Cat dealership who built some for my forklift, and the New Holland, Deere, and Massey Ferguson dealers.    
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Iwawoodwork

what about airquip  not sure if correct spelling. they are reusable, when working in the cascades back in the 70's  we could fix the smaller hyd lines in the field using the airquip hose and fittings with good results.  but as said before the correct hose has to be used, now I have 3 or 4,  3 gallon buckets of the reusable fittings due to scrounging whenever finding a blown hose that had the fittings left on. With a vise, crescent wrench and hack saw  we repaired a lot of hoses, I don't use them much now as most of my machines have JIC.

xlogger

I know there are lots of different sizes and fitting but I was just thinking about some that I have that are standard and most general. On my bobcat and other eq. I never had a hose go bad on my TK till the fire burnt several and I hope I've finally replaced the last one, but I though that a couple weeks ago also. I guess what set me off was what they are charging to make a hose and time to go get it.

starmac

The dealer here will set a guy up with a free machine with a purchase of 3000 bucks worth of hose and fittings.
Chevy, some jobs require that helicopter, or at the very least a charter plane, we have one going on right now. It is not the plane ride that is the killer, it is the downtime.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

barbender

Aw c'mon, starmac- you Alaska guys will call a bush plane out to bring you snacks at lunchtime!😁 
Too many irons in the fire

pine

Quote from: starmac on March 12, 2019, 11:18:07 PM
The dealer here will set a guy up with a free machine with a purchase of 3000 bucks worth of hose and fittings.

Now that is a pretty good deal.  A lot of crimpers are $1500 to $2000 standalone.  What crimper is he setting folks up with.

Thank You Sponsors!