iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to protect hydraulic hoses ?

Started by lopet, November 05, 2015, 08:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lopet

This night be a question for all forwarder or crane operator or those who have a forwarding trailer.
I developed a problem with my Patu loader ( I think they're called Kesla now ).  When the stick is all the way in, the hoses get pinned between the linkage and the nut which holds the shaft in place . On the other side it's not so bad, but there is four hoses. I tried to reroute them and zip tie them together, but it only works  when it's all the way folded back but not when the stick is all the way out, because  then they get pinned from the top of the stick. When I reorganize them the other way it's fine when the boom is all the way out , but get pinned again when it's all the way in. 
Little hard to explain, but hope everybody can follow.  The hoses are protected with some heavy duty water hose, but I don't see a high live expectation in them with having them constantly pinched.  Some of the steel lines on top of the boom are bent and I am thinking this is not all the way it supposed to be.
Any ideas or suggestions ?

Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

North River Energy

Could you rig up some sort of retraction system, like an tool balancer spool, to pull the hoses out of the way when needed?
Can the hoses run to the outside of the hinge, or did you already try that?

sprucebunny

If you can't find a way to move them, get some ¾ or 1" pex pipe and cut a lengthwise slit and work it on to the hose and tape it there. The pex is fairly hard and slippery so it will either slide out of the pinch situation or do a better job of protecting the hose.

I use split pex to replace the metal pads at places the hoses are clamped on my backhoe and it's worked well.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

beenthere

Along the same line as sprucebunny mentions, there are cable and hose spiral wraps that could be used and have seen such around hyd. hoses on big machines.

A link to what I refer to here.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#spiral-bundling-wrap/=zp0ndl
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

snowstorm

a pic from a bit further away would help. hose on the rite in first pic needs to be outside of the steel bracket. real hose wrap would help

furltech

From what i can tell from the pic the hoses are not routed right .they should be on the outside but it is hard to tell from the picture

lopet

Thanks for the replies. Thought maybe they should run along the outside, but for that the steel lines should be on a 45 angle at the end.  Also there will be a bigger loop hanging down on each side and it's probably easier to catch on to a limb or something.  It actually makes more sense to have them inside , but I need to find a way first, or find out how it originally was routed.  Can't find a tag on the loader ( just says   PATU  )
Will take some more pictures tomorrow.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.

4x4American

The spiral wire wraps I've found to be no good as they wear into the hose with time.  Is there any possibiltity that you can run a fixed metal conduit through there where it can't pinch, and have the excess hose that will move in a different location that won't pinch?  Maybe have to have excess hose on either side of the metal conduit so that it can move.  It's hard to tell what exactly you have going on from those pictures.
Boy, back in my day..

Corley5

It looks to me like the hoses are in the wrong spot  :)
  I get much longer hose life with the spiral wire hose wrap compared to the plastic stuff on my Fabtek head.  The wire protects better against crushing than the plastic stuff.  When a hose fails that was wrapped in wire it was from too many flexes.  Crush failures are common with the plastic but it's way better than nothing  8) 8) 8) 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

BargeMonkey

Google "Baileys Hydraulic". They sell the pigtail wrap, I've gone thru about 12 boxes of it so far. Helps alot, but like Corley said you might have hoses run the wrong way, or maybe a better way to run them. My forwarder is a hose monster, always chasing hoses.

lopet

Took some more pictures today. Hope that gives you guys a better idea what I am talking about.
Maybe I didn't had my first post worded right. I wasn't looking for some material or spiral wrap to protect the hoses, more of a way or ideas how to prevent them from getting pinched.   My apology.
Still think it was original to run them on top of the boom right to the end. There is about 1 1/2 " clearance between the main boom and the top of the stick , when it's all the way out. I thought if I find a way to clamp them down neatly side by side, instead having them stacked on top of each other.
Would that be a idea ?  Some short bolts or threaded rods welded in the right position and have some flat stock bent  to hold them down ?

North River Energy

That hose run is probably supposed to be clamped together side to side, so that they all bend as one up and over the center of the hinge, rather than flopping to each side.
Like this, (but not welded to the boom): http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulics/Hydraulic-Hose-and-Hose-Assemblies/Hose-Clamps/1-2-IN-TWO-WIRE-DUAL-HYDRAULIC-HOSE-CLAMP-9-A3-213-D.axd
The steel lines in the last set of photos probably need to be skootched  back a few inches for fitting clearance.

lopet

I know what you're saying NRE . I thought about that too.  But if it was like that when it was new, there should be at least some  45 's or 90  elbows at the end of the steel lines. But that doesn't mean it can't be done that way.
I haven't found a place yet up my way , where I can get those clamps, but I have seen them before.  That might be a option too.

North River Energy

^If you aren't the original owner, it's possible a previous replaced expensive angle-ended hoses with cheaper generic straight?
Thus the oddball routing?

Corley5

I got those clamps from SC for the boom on my forwarder.  They're not very durable  ;) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

lopet

Brought those mounting bracket home the other day from my hydraulic shop.

Turned out they were too small in diameter. So I got a little pithed at my self for not taking measurement. I really thought,they would work.
But now I didn't wanna make another trip to town and spend another $ 35,  plus  there had to be a bit of a punishment. ;D

So this it what I came up with.

Seems to work for now, but in the long run thinking about running all hoses over top.

Thank you for all the replies.

barbender

I'm not too big of a fan of the brackets in the first pic.  That's the style the Ponsse machines use, they would be great but the threaded part in the backing plate is spot welded in. They have a tendency to pop out when you try to torque them down.
Too many irons in the fire

4x4American

Quote from: barbender on January 11, 2016, 12:16:06 AM
     I'm not too big of a fan of the brackets in the first pic.  That's the style the Ponsse machines use, they would be great but the threaded part in the backing plate is spot welded in. They have a tendency to pop out when you try to torque them down.

I've found that on a lot of new stuff that you buy you have to get out the welder and finish the job before you put it to use.
Boy, back in my day..

woodmills1

rubber is expensive, but steel lines are just way way too much.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: woodmills1 on January 11, 2016, 06:22:50 PM
rubber is expensive, but steel lines are just way way too much.

What do you mean by that?

UP here I can have steel hydraulic lines made for 1/10 the cost of an equivalent rubber 4 wire hose.

I agree Barbender, those clamps on the top of the Ponsse forwarder boom are always popping apart when you try to snug them up .

bushmechanic

I'm with NRE on the location of those hoses, they should have went up and over the center of the jib boom. They were most likely 45 degree ends on the hoses ( straights are half the cost of angled hose ends) and wrapped in spiral hose wrap.

Thank You Sponsors!