iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Brand new mill, brand new 'sawyers' updated w/ pics!

Started by Piston, November 19, 2009, 07:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thelittleguy

I just want to send my thanks out there as well to Jim and Frank. You guys taught us so much and we are very much thankful for having our crash course to help us out. I feel in the Forum tradition they helped out us new guys and I want to let the rest of the guys out there know that I'm more then willing to help anyone as well, and with some young blood still in me I'm good for a day or two of hard work at least. Like anything else I feel the more I'm around Milling the better I will be at it and the more I will learn myself.  Thanks again for all the help guys and Piston for taking care of the story telling and pictures..

DWM II

Great thread, but I have bad news......Yall are ruined like the rest of us now! 8) Welcome to the forum and have fun.
Stewardship Counts!

moonhill

Hey, nice.  It look like an extension is in order by the looks of that looong log.  There is only one thing worse than a short ugly log, that is big ugly log, with basketball size knots.   

As I read some of Jim R's post I can hear him talking. 

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Piston

Quote from: WDH on December 06, 2009, 11:55:32 AM
You should be able to order the magnetic scale from Woodmizer.

Got it! Just in case any other owners are interested, here is the info...
Part number 016275
Price:  11.50
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Piston

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on December 15, 2009, 09:44:24 AM
Is it a 4 quarter scale?

Yes Sir....
Although I haven't gotten it in the mail yet, but supposedly it is according to the rep I spoke with.
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

VT-Woodchuck

I bought my LT15 after it had been used as a demo at a local fair.  I figured that it would be set up correctly if they were demo-ing it for 4 days. As set up, my scale is set so that the bottom board is 1". I learned and wrote the numbers on the cross rail as a double check. To end up with 4/4 stock, I cut at 1 1/8, 2 1/4, 3 3/8, 4 1/2, etc. Once you find a starting point, say 9", the next cut is 1/2 turn of the handle on the circular scale plus two notches. The magnetic scale can also be used, but for 4/4 I find it no easier.
The only problem I found was that the tension adjustment was not correct according to the manual. It was okay when I was cutting green hemlock but a dry maple cant broke a blade. After adjusting the tension correctly, I have not had a problem.
I put her to bed today as the snow is too deep to continue. Alas, bored until spring!  :-[

Planman1954

OK, I am now an official member of the forum. I discovered today what the log posts do to you blade when they try to resist one another. It's not a nice sound. The blade came out with less teeth than that Italian prime minister guy.

It was not on purpose. I had just done the final cut on a log, and gave the mill a little push to pass the log end. Uh-oh, that post at the other end was just high enough to touch the blade. Woops.

Planman
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

pineywoods

Quote from: Planman1954 on December 16, 2009, 08:15:25 PM
OK, I am now an official member of the forum. I discovered today what the log posts do to you blade when they try to resist one another. It's not a nice sound. The blade came out with less teeth than that Italian prime minister guy.

It was not on purpose. I had just done the final cut on a log, and gave the mill a little push to pass the log end. Uh-oh, that post at the other end was just high enough to touch the blade. Woops.

Planman

That didn't take long, guarranteed you will do it again ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

bandmiller2

Planman, your dues are paid now,we all seem to do it, the smart ones only once.Sometimes it helps if you make a mark on the scale just above where the band will hit iron when you get near that mark double check before the cut.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

IVANX71

I also plan to buy LT 15 following the spring. :)
How many board feet can be the max cut with a one saw blade (without hitting a stone, metal or mud in the logs) ?
Excuse me on my English, English is not my stronger side

firefighter

Hye Piston nice pictutes ann congrats on the new mill ,I like the way Jim-Rodgers showed how to make the stickers and cut and stack them I will try that again good luck and a merrt Christmas.

Kevin

For your own scales...
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,3439.0.html

use the search feature  ;D

Here's another old one ...

Quote from: Kevin on May 17, 2003, 05:11:06 PM
On the LT if you tighten the clamps too much you can force the cant off the bed on one side.
I have a feel for it now and just snug them up, wiggle the handle on the clamp when in doubt checking for any movement.
The other problem I just ran into was when checking the dogs I found them to be square but when I applied pressure to the cant it would move about 1/8" back until the dogs moved back to the stops.
A quick adjustment to the stops and everything is perfect, and I mean dead on corner to corner on the cant.
I level the bed, string it, check the band height on both sides against the bed, check the dogs for square and I'm good to go!
On the second cut of the cant the finished side goes against the dogs and I look for any space between the wood and the steel dogs, there shouldn't be any space.
For the third cut, with one finished side on the bed and one finished side on the dogs and without using the clamps the cant should be square to the dogs and bed.
If I loosen the clamps after the cut and the cant moves I have something out of adjustment.
I can mill all day long without rechecking for square.

WDH

Quote from: IVANX71 on December 17, 2009, 10:49:27 AM

I also plan to buy LT 15 following the spring. :)
How many board feet can be the max cut with a one saw blade (without hitting a stone, metal or mud in the logs) ?

On my LT15, I get from 500 to 600 BF on a blade, but I wash off the logs using a spray nozzle on a water hose before sawing.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!