iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tractor logging with winch

Started by sawyerf250, January 30, 2015, 12:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g_man

The good thing about having a tractor for logging is that you can use it for other jobs around the place. A big one for me is road maintenance. Grading, snow plowing, and every spring, pulling out road rocks pushed up by the frost. If a rock looks like it will stop the grader blade or plow I pull it out with my tractor and log grapple.  A couple days ago I found this one - just a knub showing but it felt solid.

You never know what's there until you get it out.

I put my camera out and made a 5 minute video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0bvRGKJvPo&feature=youtu.be

gg

Old Greenhorn

Nicely done g man! That was a honker. 
 I have one in my shop driveway that has been there since we bought this place. Hardly notice it in the summer time, it doesn't stick up, just a little bump a couple inches high. But in February in a cold winter it pops up about 4". I first 'discovered it' when plowing with my little JD 110. Zipping up and down the driveway taking off 4" of powder show and I hit that thing as fast as that JD would go. The tractor stopped dead in it's tracks, the rear end came up about a foot in the air and the steering wheel was firmly planted in my groin as I nearly flew over the top.  ffcheesy The tractor stalled right out and I thought the teeth flew out of my mouth for a minute.
 Well I don't have a machine like yours, but the following June I went out with a shale bar and started picking at it. After several hours (off and on) I uncovered enough to know that even if I could get a chain around it, my truck wouldn't pull it out. So I took a sledge to the top of it to lower it a bit and covered it back up. ffcheesy It's still there today. But we don't get the really hard freezes to lift it that much anymore. None the less, I go over that spot real slow with the plow. ffcheesy
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

jb616

LOL Tom, that is one of the funniest stories I heard in a while. Very descriptive ffcheesy

Old Greenhorn

Well, like many good stories it was all true and it didn't feel very funny at that moment. ffcheesy How I stayed in the tractor was a wonder to me. I think that steering wheel got lodged pretty well in my groin and wouldn't/couldn't  let go.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

thecfarm

You must have some soft rocks in NY.  :huh?   
I tried that with a few around here. 
But saying that, there was some ledge next to the road I got rid of. Well, it's still there, but a few inches of dirt is over it now. That came apart in pieces. Wished all  rayrock was like that on my land.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

g_man

We got a lot of downed fir last winter with all the wind, heavy snow, and stump rotted trees. During mud season I have been limbing out the ones I can get a stud log from (5"+). This week I started pulling them out. Since I haven't been in the woods for a while with a tractor I started with the small ones to get the rust and cob web out.

I put the camera out

https://youtu.be/NVbIEBgpEaE

gg

Magicman

At least we know where the rust is and the cob webs are.  ffcheesy 

It's good to see you up and at it.  Thank You for taking the time to make that video.  :thumbsup:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!