iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wow log tongs sure are handy

Started by markct, September 14, 2008, 12:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markct

i have been getting a bunch of ash logs from threes that a tree service dropped for a friend, been cuttin them up and dragging them to the edge of a bank where i been sliding them on the truck with a cable and snatch block. worked pretty good with a chocker chain but a bit of a pain to get around some of the logs, so i finaly bought a set of log tongs from mcmaster carr (www.mcmaster.com) they are the handyest things ever, alot faster than choke chains and pull the log straighter with less wanting to roll as i guide it on the truck with a bar. and boy are they great for unloading and stacking them with the gradall.

Rocky_J

Next you'll be buying one of those fancy cant hooks from Logrite in order to roll the logs instead of using some plain ol' bar.  8)

markct

oh i already got a handfull of cant hooks, some homemade, just for guiding them on the truck the bar worked best to let it slide along the side

RSteiner

I gave a friend a load of sawdust one day years ago and he gave me a set of log tongs in return.  I must say I got the better end of the deal.  I hang them from a chain off the bucket of the tractor, they sure make it easier to move and load logs.  8)

I have found that if I can drop the tongs just right on a log I don't have to get off the tractor to get hitched up.  Sometimes I spend more time doing that than it would take to get off the tractor and hitch them up.  ;D

Randy
Randy

markct

yea i played the heavy equipment iron claw a few times with the tongs too hanging from the gradall boom, usualy in a couple trys they would grab altho ya have alot better control with an excavator like that than a loader, and easier to see what ya are doing

Thank You Sponsors!