Off-road log trailer build

Started by mjeselskis, February 19, 2021, 02:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

How have you been cutting everything. Bandsaw

mjeselskis

Quote from: Walnut Beast on February 25, 2021, 09:15:55 PM
How have you been cutting everything. Bandsaw
We have an Evolution cold cut chop saw that we got for another project. I highly recommend it for anyone doing metal work.
https://store.evolutionpowertools.com/products/evosaw380
2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

Walnut Beast

Good to know you like it. I've got one that's still in the box. I'll be looking forward to using it vs the regular chop saw. I see they got a new model out looks like it has a heavier base. What model do you have

mjeselskis

Quote from: Walnut Beast on February 26, 2021, 09:07:31 AM
Good to know you like it. I've got one that's still in the box. I'll be looking forward to using it vs the regular chop saw. I see they got a new model out looks like it has a heavier base. What model do you have
We bought the EVOSAW380 steelsaw2 about 6 years ago. It has a cast base and it's about 50 lbs and plenty rugged. We're on our second blade and I probably should get a new one but this one is still cutting ok even with a few missing or broken teeth.

mike_belben

what RPM is it, how big is the blade and does it use coolant?  i have all the stuff to build one eventually when the machine shop gets unmothballed and put back in service. 
Praise The Lord

Crusarius

mjeselskis

Quote from: mike_belben on February 26, 2021, 11:54:15 AM
what RPM is it, how big is the blade and does it use coolant?  i have all the stuff to build one eventually when the machine shop gets unmothballed and put back in service.
Mike,
It's 1450 RPM with a 14" blade. I think you can buy a 15" blade. No coolant. When the blade is in good shape, there's hardly any heat generated. Even with the blade I have now with broken and missing teeth, I can pick up the cut piece immediately after cutting it

Nebraska

@Walnut Beast  Did you pick that up around here? It looks much  better than  my chop saw.

Walnut Beast

Online. If you get one the newer one has a three star handle and the previous has a round clamping wheel. It's abour 70 bucks more. I was going to call corporate in Iowa and ask about it. It looks like a little heavier base and a little better clamping. They say like you heard hear they work awesome 

mike_belben

I have a pile of old blades from s&w.  Be a while before i had to buy one especially if i sharpen them.
Praise The Lord

mjeselskis

The axle is mocked up under the trailer. I ran the numbers on a few different axle locations to check tongue weight. I think I'm going to put the axle centerline at 7' 3" back from the front of the deck. That will give me a fair amount of tongue weight for traction, but keeps the tongue weight well under my drawbar rating of 2500lbs even with 8,000 lbs on the trailer. 

Walnut Beast

What are you going to pull the trailer with

Walnut Beast

Looking pretty awesome. How thick is the 5x5 tubing

mjeselskis

Quote from: Walnut Beast on March 03, 2021, 06:21:45 PM
What are you going to pull the trailer with
I'll pull it with my tractor, John Deere 5300.

Quote from: Walnut Beast on March 03, 2021, 06:24:54 PM
Looking pretty awesome. How thick is the 5x5 tubing
Thanks. The 5x5 on the frame rails is 1/4", and the tongue is 3/8"

Walnut Beast

Built heavy duty. I like it!!  I was thinking of the pivot point on your walking beam. Probably will work for quite awhile but being able to get some grease in there would help. Some round stock with heavy wall stock over the top with some grease fittings taped in could have been done but that would have taken a little more time

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Walnut Beast on March 03, 2021, 06:39:42 PM
Built heavy duty. I like it!!  I was thinking of the pivot point on your walking beam. Probably will work for quite awhile but being able to get some grease in there would help. Some round stock with heavy wall stock over the top with some grease fittings taped in could have been done but that would have taken a little more time
I see it looks like you got a way to get some grease in 👍

Walnut Beast

What are you going to do on a hitch. Pintle ?

mjeselskis

Quote from: Walnut Beast on March 03, 2021, 06:39:42 PM
The pivot point is a greasable bolt that is drilled down the center to get grease to the center of the pivot tube. Is that what you were referencing? I'm sure it won't last forever, but I'm hoping the grease will give it a chance.

mjeselskis

Quote from: Walnut Beast on March 03, 2021, 06:45:59 PM
What are you going to do on a hitch. Pintle ?
Well, I don't think it will be a pintle since I want to be able to haul it on the drawbar. So either just a hay trailer style with a pin or I'll do a 2 5/16" ball and throw a ball on the drawbar. 

mike_belben

I suggest you build the neck with a receiver or plate to swap connection styles for different tow unit options in the future.  Ive had 3 different hitch combinations on mine.  

No 4 actually.
Praise The Lord

mjeselskis

Quote from: mike_belben on March 03, 2021, 10:56:00 PM
I suggest you build the neck with a receiver or plate to swap connection styles for different tow unit options in the future.  Ive had 3 different hitch combinations on mine.  

No 4 actually.
That's a good idea. I'll have to look around at some other trailers for options. I still would like to have the tongue pivot so it doesn't flip the tractor if the trailer rolls. Maybe a piece of pipe welded to the bottom of the square tube, with a solid piece of round bar that slides into it. Then I can weld the hitch mounting plate onto that round bar. 

mike_belben

You could use a grader ball, or uniball.   I made a grader ball from a 2-5/16 hitch that went into a big steel cup with brass races and a cap plate once.  But it was a pretty substantial machining task. 

Put those search terms in google with ruffstuff or pirate4x4 and youll see offroad builds.  I mean road grader btw. 

Military pintles have the rotator in them but theyre spendy whenever i see one.  You could clone it though.  

A steering knuckle and hub have the right motion if you grafted one to a 3pt hitch. Plus an driveshaft can pass through it for powered trailer or pto pump. 
Praise The Lord

Crusarius

You should seriously consider either getting flush zerks or put a plug in the pivot after you grease it so you don't break those off.

Bet you don't need to ask how I know this :)

Crusarius

for the pivoting hitch you could use a rear axle shaft. gives you a nice flat face with bolts to put whatever connection point you need on it. slide it through a tube and weld stops on it so it can't pull out.

mjeselskis

Quote from: Crusarius on March 04, 2021, 05:33:15 PM
You should seriously consider either getting flush zerks or put a plug in the pivot after you grease it so you don't break those off.

Bet you don't need to ask how I know this :)

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. These zerks are pressed on, but I can weld a short piece of pipe around them to protect them.

Quote from: Crusarius on March 04, 2021, 05:34:31 PM
for the pivoting hitch you could use a rear axle shaft. gives you a nice flat face with bolts to put whatever connection point you need on it. slide it through a tube and weld stops on it so it can't pull out.
Good thought, I'll have to see what I can find laying around

Thank You Sponsors!