iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

red maple question

Started by kelLOGg, November 06, 2008, 06:06:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I planted 2 red maples (collected from woods) near my house about 15 yrs ago. One has bright yellow leaves and the other bright red ones. Both are beautiful but what causes the difference in color - soil? or species variation?

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

SwampDonkey

Probably genetic variation and growing season variation. One leaf pigment is expressed stronger over another. I have a red maple in the back yard that can be yellow one fall and orange another. Another red maple that is dark red every fall.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Maybe one of your trees secretly wants to be a yellow maple :D.

Some pics would be nice :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

Most likely its just species variation.  I've seen many red, orange, and yellow, and red maples growing side-by-side this fall.  I've even see some with bright red leaves at the ends of the branches and bright yellow leaves within the crown.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

kelLOGg

Quote from: WDH on November 06, 2008, 08:31:53 AM
Maybe one of your trees secretly wants to be a yellow maple :D.

Some pics would be nice :).

It'll have to wait till next year. 12 hours after my post a wind came thru and blew 2/3 of the leaves off. :(
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!