iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone built home on J. Sobon's plans?

Started by Brad_S., October 24, 2004, 08:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_S.

Have dreamed for years of building my own T.F. home using lumber I cut, dried, shaped and assembled. Has anyone built a home using the dimensions and methods used in Jack Sobon's book?  Can you give us a photo tour if so? I know some of you guys know Jack, but I would still like your opinions of his methods. (I personally am concerned about lack of wall insulation.)

Thanks all. :)
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Timber_Framer

The first T.F. I built was nearly identical to the "Garden Shed"  featured In  Sobon's Timber Frame Construction. We used a set of 6x6 lintels and built cordwood walls for insulation, which is cheep but time consuming. But with SIPs (structurally Insulated Panels) there's no reason you can't have adequate insulation no matter where you build.
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Jim_Rogers

Brad_S:
There are many ways to insulate a timber frame house.

In the book "Build a Classic Timber Framed House" he says on page 154 that this frame has 2" ridge insulation placed over the vapor barrier and then furring strips of wood to nail the siding to. Which are all outside of his plank wall boards. There is also a detail drawing there showing this.

He also states on page 155: "Carefully consider your choices of insulation -- it may be one of the most important building material decisions that you make."

If this is the book that you're referring to then where are you reading that there is a "lack of wall insulation"?

Each frame has to be considered as to it's location and the needs of the house based on that location, that is, a northern climate where a lot of insulation is needed or a southern climate where less insulation for heat loss is needed.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Brad_S.

Jim,

You are right, the book does clearly say that. I should have worded that better. I should have said under insulated. I know little about building and subscribe to the more must be better theory!;D  2" of foam seems inadequate for here in upstate New York. Further down the road I was going to run another insulation question by you guys, but for now I'm busy working my way through past threads in this forum so I don't start asking questions that have already been answered 10 times before!

Timber Framer,

Thanks for the reply. I've ruled out SIPs, partly because of cost, but mostly because of asthetics. I'm thinking of a stud infill with spray foam. I currently live in an 1849 timberframe home and like seeing just a bit of the beams. I love wood, but too much of it is overpowering to me. I'm sure that has a few of you shaking your heads! :D

Right now I'm just collecting building materials and exploring design plans. Basically, by asking the question I did, I am trying to see if someone with decent woodworking skills but limited timber framing experience can indeed tackle the home outlined in the book. And I wondered how the home looked in 3 dimensions! I plan on enlisting a GC friend to hold my hand through the building process when the time comes. And when the day gets closer, I will definatly take some TFing classses.

Thanks again for the replys.

Jim_Rogers

Jack Sobon teaches his class on Timber Framing once a year in September, at the shaker village in Hancock, MA, just outside Pittsfield, Ma. The house built in the book is not too far from there. If you drove over there you could probably walk around the house and look at it, or knock on the door and have a look inside as well.
I'll be seeing and talking to Jack this weekend and I can ask about the address and see if the owner allows others to tour their home, if you wish to see it in person. Just let me know.
Also, you should consider the planking to have some R-value if you choose to use that type of construction.
But you can put a stud wall under or inside a timber frame and insulate as you would a normal wall. However at the location of the girts or plates you'll need a continuous barrier to prevent air flow into the building at these spots. So stagger your joints of your sidewall sheathing to cover them. This will help you deal with shrinkage as the frame itself dries out over several years.
Good luck with your research.
Jim Rogers

Brad_S.

Jim,
Thank you very much for the reply and helpful info. I didn't realize Jack taught a seminar. I am going to try my best to get to that. Thanks again.

Jim_Rogers

Brad_S
If you need registration information for this class to be held next September, let me know. I can email it to you privately or post it here.
I'll be talking to Jack this weekend and I'll find out if he or his partner Dave Carlon will be doing the registrations this coming year. They swap off the duties each year.
Dave does email, but Jack doesn't. There phone numbers and addresses are listed in the monthly newsletter put out by the guild called Scantlings. But they are usually only listed for a few issues before the event. As this has just happened last month they might not be listed in the current issue.
Are you a member of the guild?
If so you can access the membership listing at the guild website, to get their phone numbers.
I may have already posted the phone number here before. I don't remember. You could try a search here. Or just let me know and I'll have them for you on Tuesday.
Jim Rogers

Thank You Sponsors!