iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A question of fuel

Started by Ward Barnes, January 25, 2012, 02:17:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ward Barnes

:D Humm .... A Chainsaw run on Natural Gas ...   8)

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
Dull chains cause accidents.  Accidents cause shorter life spans.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

Al_Smith

:D I suppose it's possible but I'm not exactly certain how so on a 2 cycle  .4 cycle you just screw on a little tank like a
BernzOmatic and have at it .

westyswoods

I lay no claim to being expert on this or any other subject for that matter. I do know that my fuel mixtures for any two cycles are a mid octane non ethanol fuel with a good oil mix. The other piece is I never mix more than can be used in a relative short period of time.

Ruined two saws many many many years ago before I learned the hard way.

Westy
Stay Safe and Be Healthy
Westy

JohnG28

Al, I hear you on this hydrofracking nonsense.  They're pushing this really hard in our area.  It seems like one of the worst ideas I've heard of in some time...push chemicals into the ground at pressures enough to crack bedrock.  Don't worry, it's not bad at all. ::) It will help make us more energy independent.  ::) Yep.  Can't wait until that is the new Love Canal in our back yard.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Al_Smith

Love canal was some time ago .If memory serves me correctly I believe Oxidental chemical was the liar in that case .

JohnG28

Quite some time ago, came out in the '70s or '80s I believe.  That was one big mess.  I don't know where this fracking will go, just hope it's not bad.  From what I understand, here in NY they can basically do this more or less unregulated. I don't know this for certain and don't need to get into politics here though. It does make me question how necessary this really is though. smiley_headscratch smiley_headscratch
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

submarinesailor

Quote from: JohnG28 on February 08, 2012, 11:57:23 PM
From what I understand, here in NY they can basically do this more or less unregulated. smiley_headscratch smiley_headscratch

John,

Currently in the state of NY I believe there is a complete and total ban on fracking.  Because of this almost no one is drill.  The ban was suppose to end last summer but the goveraor extended it.  More studies were needed.  I think they are currently waiting for the EPA to complete their study before NY moves forward.

Bruce

LorenB

Quote from: Ward Barnes on February 07, 2012, 11:48:40 AM
Howdy Folks:

A local marina is now selling 93 octane without Ethanol to any customer, not just the boaters.  The saw seems to like it and the price per gallon is just a few cents above what the 92 E10 is selling for.

During the boating season they just about don't shut their pumps off.  Outboards don't like E10.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.

I'm glad to hear about the possibility of getting high octane, no-alcohol fuel at marinas.  That's another source. 

I've been burning aviation gasoline (avgas) for years in all my off-road engines, including my chainsaws.  It was recommended to me by the guy who sold me the Husky. 

I have learned from knowledgeable pilots that avgas does not spoil the way automotive gasoline does.  This means that it will keep, both in a can and in the saw, much longer than automotive gas.  I don't try to get it to last forever and if an engine won't be run for a while I try to burn the fuel in the tank, or transfer the gas to a different engine. 

I tried to buy avgas at a major airport in the Cincinnati area, and they wouldn't sell it to me unless I had an airplane for them to pump it into.  I have no idea what they thought I was going to do with it other than what I told them, but I left without the gas.  I have since found a small-town airport that doesn't see much traffic where the management is happy to allow me to fill my fuel cans with the 100LL fuel.  That number indicates 100 octane, Low Lead.  I don't know if it really is 100 octane, but it's high enough.  I'm sure that "low lead" is a relative term, referring to the lead content of avgas from thirty years ago. 

If you can get it, I strongly recommend avgas.  You will avoid numerous problems.  In my area, the price is about 20% higher than automotive gas.  Don't burn it in your car; the lead will clog your catalytic converter. 

One last benefit: Avgas doesn't stink the way automotive gas does.  It smells the way gasoline smelled fifty years ago. 
Loren
Baker 3667D portable sawmill, Cook's edger, Logrite arches & peaveys.  Husky 272XP chainsaw & two Echos.

John Mc

Quote from: LorenB on February 12, 2012, 07:47:09 PM
I have learned from knowledgeable pilots that avgas does not spoil the way automotive gasoline does.  This means that it will keep, both in a can and in the saw, much longer than automotive gas.

It does have much longer shelf life. I've known pilots to burn fuel over a year old with no problem. I try to fly more often than that, but I've never had any problems attributable to old fuel, nor have  run into a pilot who experienced those problems - fuel contamination, yes, but "stale" fuel, no.

QuoteI have since found a small-town airport that doesn't see much traffic where the management is happy to allow me to fill my fuel cans with the 100LL fuel.  That number indicates 100 octane, Low Lead.  I don't know if it really is 100 octane, but it's high enough.  I'm sure that "low lead" is a relative term, referring to the lead content of avgas from thirty years ago.

Yes, it's 100 octane. In fact, it's over 100 octane, if you measure it the same way auto fuel is measured. You are correct that the "low lead" in the name is relative. The original 100 octane avgas had much more lead. However, if I recall correctly, the spec for 100LL allows several times the amount of lead that the old leaded auto fuel did. (In more recent years, they've tended to do what they can to cut the lead to the bare minimum needed to meet the 100 octane requirement.

QuoteIn my area, the price is about 20% higher than automotive gas.

You're doing a lot better than we are out here. When I last toped off a few days ago, the price of 100LL was $6 per gallon
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

KB0NES

I'm not sure if anyone else has seen (or posted) this handy reference.

http://pure-gas.org/

This site has a state by state breakdown of the stations that sell Ethanol-free gasoline. They list the available octane number also. They even provide Google Earth maps and have a new iPhone app too!

I have used both E10 and alcohol free fuel but I now use non-Ethanol only as then I don't worry about the shelf life as much.

Phil 
Burnsville, MN
MS 261 & MS 200T

arojay

If one can get it, race fuel for snowmachines, bikes, etc. is unleaded and high octane.  It can be mixed with pump regular to get to the optimum RON for your application.

GARY C.  I had problems with my Honda 3500 watt generator when the weather got cold.  There is a small hose that, if I remember correctly, vents the crankcase fumes into the intake side of the carb.  Honda mechanic showed me to slit this hose, venting to the atmosphere.  End of problem.   
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

Al_Smith

:D Let me stir the pot a little more here .

It's known fact that ethanol deteriates seals and components made of Buna-N .Fact just recently I ordered and recieved new componets to rebuild a couple of Briggs "pulsa jet " carbs because if this fact .It's a bit chilly to install them but if things hold true as they always have it will warm up one of those days .

On the brighter side of ethanol it was at one time  almost manditory to use some type of gasoline that either had deicer from the pump or to add deicer such as "ice guard " or "dry gas " .Since they made use go to blended fuels I've never had a fuel line freeze up on me .

Let me tell you  from experiance a frozen fuel line is a gigantic pain in the buttocks .I mean it isn't like you can thaw a gas line with a propane torch unless you have a death wish ya know .

Hobnob2

We've been running E10 93 octane for many years without any issues.  Consistently, we've left fuel in the tank for months, fuel in the carb for months, fuel in the can for months - we've been handling fuel completely wrong.  Of course, now I'll start having all sorts of fuel issues.  Knock on wood (he says, tapping on his cranium).

I'm prompted to post today because I just visited a highly respected dealer for the first time, who recommended using fuel within 2 weeks of purchase!!!  Before letting a saw sit for more than 2 weeks he also says to dump the tank, run the saw dry, even pull the choke at the last second before it dies to pull the last bit of fuel out of the carb.  He also says it's best to purchase mid-grade gas (E10 89 octane, around here) because the 93 octane gets purchased so seldom that it sits in the underground tanks at the gas station for too long.  89 is enough octane and is fresher, he says.  Makes sense to me.  I'm going to try his tips.

Safe work, all.
Grow the best wood on the best trees, as fast as possible.

Cutting Edge

Quote from: Hobnob2 on March 10, 2012, 05:48:09 PM
He also says it's best to purchase mid-grade gas (E10 89 octane, around here) because the 93 octane gets purchased so seldom that it sits in the underground tanks at the gas station for too long.

Same problem here, but our local station is small, and routine filter maintenance is not the best. Bought 5 gal of 93 and got 1½ qts of water...what a fun afternoon that was  smiley_furious3

I know that in my Ol' Iron toys, it ALL hates e10 fuels.  But most of it was built when lead was safe to eat too  ::)  Have worked on several carbs where the E10 has festered in them to long, and the corrosive effects are horrendous.  Sometimes to a point of replacement.  Accelerator pump bores seem to suffer the worst.

I have heard good "news" about the marine grade of Sta-Bil, and am using that personally.  But I would have to say the best defense is proper storage and usage.  As with most things in life I reckon

Al_Smith put it best I believe when he referred to us little guys as the folks stuck with the "hind teat" in this fuel issue.  I won't dreadge up the politics as they have already been discussed, but I believe its all a scam too, as all my vehicles suffer from poorer fuel mileage and pith poor performance.  Heaven forbid if its got points and a carb...there is no "tune-up" that can bring 'em to their former glory when E10 is in the tank   :'(   smiley_furious3

"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

petefrom bearswamp

I have repeated here many times , my Homelite Super XL12, 1973 vintage which I leave at my camp in the Adirondacks and I have left e10 fuel in it since it was the only gas available here in NYS  quite a few years ago, and the thing starts on the third or fourth pull every time.
I am heading there tomorrow afternoon for a weekend of fun, fishing  and chicken BBQ  and will try it then.
If it doesn't start as above I will post here again and eat crow.
I don't see all the fuss about ethanol.
(can I be a closet DEMOCRAT?) nope I am a registered independent.
As an aside, I took it to the local Homelite dealer in Cortland NY about 25 years ago and he looked in the cylinder which was scored and told me to run it till it dies. It still runs but not on a regular basis.

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

snowstorm

for those that like e10 try useing it in a boat with the tank vent 2' above the water line.

petefrom bearswamp

as promised an update.
got the saw out last Friday, my son pulling the starter cord.
After 5 pulls he asked which position should the switch be in duh!! up I said.
It started the next pull and we used that weekend for some trail clearing.
What a saw!!
Snowstorm what problems do you encounter?
water absorption?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

snowstorm

e10 dosent work to well in outboards or any boat. my boat had a 110 gal fuel tank it always had a little water in it. so i bought a $100 racor filter setup it helped. finally fixed the problem....sold the boat and bought one with a diesel motor. was talking to a lobster fisherman he had a gas motor in his 31ft boat. says it worked fine until the new gas. it ruined 2 carbs. the last one filled the bilge with gas. after that he put a diesel in the boat

Thank You Sponsors!