iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some fast growth

Started by customsawyer, August 26, 2015, 03:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

This is a red oak I sawed today and I have never seen growth rings like this in a oak log before. It did cut pretty easy though. ;D

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

deepsouth.us

Yowzer! Any idea what type of area it was growing in? Highland, lowland, near an ag field, etc?
Timberking 2000

WoodenHead

That is amazing!  A hybrid tree of some sort?

I would be curious to see what some of that quarter sawn would look like.   

BCsaw

Wow! Thats some crazy growth.

I sawed a spruce last fall that looked like that. Made nice 2x4's though. ;D
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

Magicman

Wow Jake, that must be record book growth.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nomad

Is that water oak?  Willow oak? Laurel oak?  Down here, those all look like that if they're yard trees.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

hackberry jake

Looks like that one might've been planted above someone's septic system.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

What is unusual is the very narrow band of earlywood.  Almost just a single row of pores.  Never seen that before in oak.  Jake said that it must have grown over an old dinosaur. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Delawhere Jack

Grown over a septic tank......... or a nuclear waste dump?  :o The only thing I've ever seen grow that fast was paulownia, and even in those the biggest growth rings were maybe 5/8". Wow.

pineywoods

I turned some bowls from a chunk of mimosa that had growth rings like that. Didn't do very well, came apart like shake.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

WDH

The thing is that Jake only cuts forest grown trees that are delivered to a mega-large hardwood sawmill.  No yard trees coming into that mill.  This almost has to be a bottomland red oak, like a water oak, willow oak or a laurel oak. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hackberry jake

Does size of growth rings and medular rays have a correlation? Would that be a good tree or bad tree to quarter saw?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

customsawyer

I see trees from time to time that will have one or two growth rings like this on one side, but I have never seen a tree that had this many and that were fairly even all the way around the tree. It was most certainly not a yard tree as it was about 35" on the but end and at 40' the top was about 25". There was not a bunch of big knots like a yard tree would have. They have been bringing in some nice sized logs so at least one of the loggers must be in a pretty nice tract of swamp somewhere.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ianab

We have pine that grows like that, and some of the hardwood Aussie eucalypts are the same in our climate.

But that's pretty impressive for Oak. Very fertile site, and possibly South of it's normal range (longer growing season?)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

The bottomland red oaks in South Georgia have the longest growing season for all the native red oaks. 

mesquite buckeye

The riparian trees out here like Arizona ash, Arizona walnut, Fremont cottonwood can grow like that if the water is close. We have a very long growing season. All we need is wet.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

customsawyer

I looked the bark and the log over better the next morning and even sent some pics to WDH. We are in agreement that this tree was a Southern Red Oak. This fact makes it even that much more impressive as it is doubtful that the tree grew in a bottom, and the fact that it didn't have any rot in it which is common in Southern Red Oak when it gets to this size. Maybe it grew so fast the rot couldn't catch it.  :D
www.thecustomsawyer.com

smwwoody

Did it have a lot of sap wood.  i have seen a few southern red oaks with growth rings like that before.  they all had about 30% white sap wood on them

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

customsawyer

Didn't notice it having that much more but can't say I looked at that. I couldn't take my eyes off the growth rings. :o
www.thecustomsawyer.com

slider

You might better stop goo gooing over those growth rings and get back to work.Remember comrade you need to be cranking out at least 15 mats a day.You have been hanging out with WDH too long.
al glenn

stavebuyer

I have cut Cherrybark Red Oak in the river bottoms of West TN with growth rates close to that. One tree I remember was 36" dbh and only 30 years old. Transition zone from cypress swamp to soybean fields.

Thank You Sponsors!