iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

intro

Started by dblair, March 09, 2012, 05:12:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dblair

Let me introduce myself as I'm new to this forum , although I've been hanging around a while I never posted till yesterday . My name is Dave Blair , I'm a retired machinist - maintenance guy from a paper mill . I've been around circle sawmills most of my life . I worked in a small machine shop in the '60s that made a mill so we went out and serviced a lot of them in the field or people brought the mandrels in for collars, etc . I got a mill from a old friend so I set it up and have been sawing lumber for building ever since . just my projects and not a lot of work , I'm done with that . I'm into entertaining myself now .I have a video of my mill that my brother and I run ( he's the one with the camera ) on our 40 acres here in Va. Well enough about me . thanks for listening .
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

beenthere

Welcome to the forum. I have "machinists envy" with people who can machine parts  ;D ;D

Jump in where you can offer an opinion or the expertise that you have. Often we need that. ;)

Enjoyed your video, especially where you were filling in for 'bro.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6MIp6qBC8E&feature=player_embedded
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mooseherder

Nice video of your mill Dave.
I'm working towards a similiar set-up. :)
It sure is inspiring to see in action.

Magicman

I enjoyed watching that and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  That "self" off bearing would make for a long day.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

wood monger

Welcome Dave, nice setup. I just love them old circle mills.

KyTreeFarmer

Nice video and welcome to posting on the Forum. Mill looks to be in great shape.
KTF
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

bandmiller2

Welcome Dave,your mill is a dead ringer for my own.Mine is mostly Chase with some Lane parts.I often cut alone and have a stick on the side of the husk to push boards away from the saw,saves the long commute around the horn.Of course when you buddys not filming hes offbearing.I like your flak screen does the plexi get cloudy with pitch and sawdust?? I like a section of fireplace screen.What do you have for an engine?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

dblair

thanks to all for your welcome . a lot of the parts on my mill look like Lane and other makers , my guess is they didn't have patents on many parts and the maker of my mill cast their name , or the other makers did, on many of the parts .that lexan does get dirty and wet from some logs and I have to wipe her down at the end of the day . the engine is a M@M 403 , 75 hp at 1260 blade runs at 580 rpm . My mill is a local product made in one of the most famous civil war cities , Petersburg,Va.  at one of the foundries Appomattox Iron Works . I have found only one other like it, yet I know many were made. the other is at Chippokes Plantation in Surry, Va. they have a few videos on youtube featuring their mill . many thanks for your welcome .
David Blair

Misfit

Welcome dblair! That video brought back some childhood memories. A neighbor had a water-powered mill and I used to ride over on my bicycle when I was 5 or 6 and watch him and his son for hours at a time. Even then the mechanics of a circle mill fascinated me.  :)
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

Meadows Miller

Gday

And Welcome to The Forum Dave  ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) You just gotta love those Circular mills and its awesome to see your keeping a rare one in good operating condition Mate  ;) ;D ;D ;D  smiley_thumbsup 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

bandmiller2

Your right Dave,years ago before OSHA and the EPA shutdown our foundries,it was common practice to use the big guys cast parts as patterns.They would grind the name and pattern nos. off and mayby put their own name on.I can tell with a big oak log you'll have to really slow your feed.My first mill had a cat 318 diesel and when I was in big oak it was balls to the wall and black smoken.Besides the circular mill I built a bandmill,surprising how much less power it takes with a band. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Meadows Miller

Yeah Frank But it is funny how bands are up to the HP now that was considered good power for a Circular mill back in the day which is about 50 to 75 hp diesel Jeez Meadows use to sell their mills through Inter and McCormack dealers and they use to say you could run it of a 15-30 and expect 5000+bft per day which aint bad with a 35hp motor you just have to set your saws up to make best use of it and keep that saw feed  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)
4TH Generation Timbergetter

dblair

I saw some oak and yes I really have to slow the feed down but with syp pour it on .that old 700 lb flywheel will help with it some .  there's no need to try to stop the darn thing fast though .

Bill Gaiche

dblair, welcome aboard. Nice video. That work on the other end of the mill will make an ole fella out of ya. bg

Texas Ranger

Welcome, dblair, pull up a chair and set a spell.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

dblair

thanks again , and the old fellow I already am at just a month off 67. I only feel like it after a hard day at the farm though , otherwise I don't even think about being this age.

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum. Great video.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!