iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How have you guys worded "Lumber for sale" ads in local papers?

Started by Kelvin, January 03, 2007, 07:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

I've been trying to think about ways to keep the lookey lous away from me and still be able to advertise to local hobbyist type people.  What are some ways that you guys have sucessfully posted "for sale" ads?  I've found  about 50% of the people who show up take 2 hrs and end up telling me their life story only to finish by saying they can get lumber much cheaper somewhere else.  Here is what i was thinking.

How about a bd ft minimum?  Say 100 bd ft?  Bad idea?  I was going to advertise for kiln dried hardwood lumber starting at $1.00 a bd ft, and have a special stack just for people to sort through, and then have my better wood priced up from there.  I guess that might be attracting the wrong types of people?  Maybe i should advertise expensive high end wood?  And sell extra junk wood to them?  Hmmm.  I'd like to get rid of those piles of wood that aren't good enough to go into my higher end cabinet wood sections.  I keep pileing up No 2 type wood with no were to go.  Just dump it all off on the pallet guys and get paid at cost?  Guess its too thick for pallet tops, they want 1/2" or so for .35 cents.  I guess that might be another question.  Does it pay anyone with slow Lt-40 type mills to saw pallet wood or just burn it up in a pile in the yard and save the trip?

Any ad ideas?  We have some local "farm" type papers but there aren't too many real farmers around anymore.  We are pretty urban now.  Have these type papers worked for any of you?  I'm 10 mins from a 200,000 people urban area, and no we don't have any woodworkers type organization here in which to advertise.  At least that i've found.  Some in neigboring cities, but not close enough that they would drive.  We don't have any woodcraft type stores either, just Home Repot, and the lumber yards.  I see advertisements in the paper quite frequently that say something like  "Cherry, walnut, oak and ash, all $1.20 a bd ft, rough"  I've looked at some of these to see if it was any good and they really don't know what they are doing.  I've offered to buy their logs for a good price before they wrecked them with their mill and tried to sell it.  Its hard to sell rough wood.

How about presentation?  Would you plane it all and mark it up and have it all ready?  I've got some of each, but i was thinking people have a real hard time picturing what the boards will look like trimmed and what not.  Was thinking i should have a section of all planned and trimmed up boards with a different price, and have rough, kiln or air dried options?  Its hard to have so much inventory.  Whats the experience here?

I'd really like it to be as convient as possible to have them find what they want and let me get back to work, but i guess a lot of people want the mystery of sorting around through old barns to find the "steals".  How do you weed out the time wasters?  Do you get good at sensing them?

Well, any help as usual would do.  I just loaded up my nyle kiln for the 2nd time.  got it all running.  Last batch took 5 days from 10% to 6%!  Sure beats the 3 months in the solar kiln!!!  What a relief!

Thanks
Kelvin

woodmills1

ya know ina way any sale isa good one, mostaenna backa  the talkforinhours hasa benna backa many many tima. :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

I really have trouble with that New Hampshire dialect, speshly
when its writ out!  (or should I say Nooamshah)
:D

Kelvin,
I, too am facing the seemingly awful truth:  It is hard to sell rough
lumber in my neighborhood.

The flip side of this coin, however, is a good one.  If you take green lumber,
to air-dried, henceforth called, "naturally seasoned," then you take that
naturally seasoned wood and put the final touch on it in a kiln, then you go
to S2S, one edge straight-line....,   well do you hear a "ka-ching" sound at each
step?   Yep, think so.   Thus far, without these value-added steps, all I have
heard is, "but do you have any pine for sale... real cheap?"   In other words,
my classified ads have only attracted those who think my lumber is going to
be cheaper than the cheapest stuff at the building supply stores.  I originally set
out to intend to cut exactly what the box stores don't have, so I have to remind
myself, "No, cut it thicker. No, cut it longer, wider."  etc.

I hope to combine internet exposure, classifieds, direct mail, and personal contact
to begin to develop customers for that S2S, R1E.   I think my customer base will
be very limited, until I can move to that level.

By the way,  setting a board ft. amount as a minimum purchase would cut out
the time wasters.   Like you, I just don't have the time.

Phil L.              "Naturally-seasoned rare lumber.
                        Kiln-dried after two years air dried.
                        Planed, matched, excellent patterns!
                        Don't call Kelvin, call me at   555-Right Now!"
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

SwampDonkey

The only way I'de buy hardwood lumber is if it were rough. I like it 1-1/4" thick for wide boards and 1-1/8" for up to 6" wide boards. I also like 2-1/4" for 2 by's for leg turning, but 3-7/8" or 4" is fine for most projects.

On the other hand, I prefer softwood planed unless it's for framing. On the European market they have to allow extra dimensions for machining. There is a local mill that has been lucky to find a European market (or close indefinately, however the mill had to be reguaged to take into account for finishing on the other end after it's sawn. And of course it's all kilned.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Don't turn anyone away Kelvin, it'll be your downfall. One bad experience with a merchant can speak volumes even if the guy didn't have intensions to buy in the first place. I pay about $0.90 a bf green, but I don't want junk. I don't mind a couple knots in a board as long as they are under 1". A lot of folks like to comparison shop, just like yourself. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

metalspinner

Kelvin,
Let me begin by saying that I am not a sawyer.  My perspective is that of a serious hobbiest woodworker.  That being said,  I've got many thousands of BF Kd, Ad, Green and still in the log.  With all that I have, there are times when I don't have the exact sizes I need in the state that I need - or they just might be at the bottom of a very large pile. So, I look in the paper for ads similar to what you are describing. :D

Once I needed 8/4 cherry for a table top.  I found an ad, called the sawyer and asked him very specifically if he had what I needed.  He said "Sure.  Come on out."  I made an appointment to meet with him and drove over an hour to get there.

First, he was not there.  His "helper" was.

Second, his KD lumber was stacked thrown into a pile in the dirt near a chicken coup that the birds were allowed free rane over.

Third, his AD stack was out in the blistering sun with no cover or weight on it.

Fourth,  all of his lumber is what i would have consideredmiscuts - differing thicknesses, under thickness, etc...

I called him later that day to express my disappointment.  He was none to happy to here what I had to say. ::)

I am probably one of the most  Anal-retentive people on this forum when it comes to stacking and taking care of there lumber.  Reading all of your posts makes me think you are very careful with your operation and you sound very considerate.  If I visited your place and saw stacks of lumber sorted by grade and species you would have my business.  Word would spread pretty quick with that sort of service.

Back to your ad...trigger words like "cabinet grade" or "graded" or "special figure"would spark an interest from the serious hobby crowd.  Maybe "call for appointment" would be a nice touch as well.  The tire kickers would get the point from that statement that you are serious about your time and product . When on the phone making the appointment, you can let the buyers know what your minimums are.  Or if the "minimum" scares people away, a price break at different amounts could be helpful.  Of course, the price would be more for smaller quantities than your regular price.  By the time they get to 100bf you would be getting your normal price.

Just my .02
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Left Coast Chris

Kelvin,   I too am a serious hobyist that is starting to stockpile more lumber than I can use.  And I enjoy the log gathering and sawing about as much or more than the hobby carpentry.

I have began to ask around to see if there are markets.   I am in an area of about 100k people and there are a couple of hardwood speciality warehouses that supply cabinet shops and manufacturing.   They sell rough sawn lumber.   They will only buy kiln dried lumber but that could be a place to sell volumes of lumber.

Selling direct to manufactures would take some research and marketing.  These manufacturers would include flooring, cabinets, tool handles, bowl makers, furnature makers, stair railing makers, high end carpenters that do rustic work, carvers.    Suggest looking in some publications that have displays of carvings, architectural magazines that show beautiful finish work and get names of artists, builders and craftsmen and contact them to see if they need lumber/wood.

One carver in our area sells carvings on the internet and to galeries and buys block wood at very high prices out of articles in magazines.

Lots of possibilities............ but some marketing research would likely pay off.   -- just some thoughts--
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Furby

Quote from: Kelvin on January 03, 2007, 07:19:04 PM
I see advertisements in the paper quite frequently that say something like "Cherry, walnut, oak and ash, all $1.20 a bd ft, rough" I've looked at some of these to see if it was any good and they really don't know what they are doing.

SwampDonkey already commented on this part of your post, but I need to add a bit.
You are doing the same to others as you don't want to deal with.
Basicly, these time wasters are a part of the business. You may be able to cut back on how many you get, but they are apart of the business you are in. If it's a serious problem, then you need to take a look at just what kind of business you want to be in.

urbanlumberinc

Forget about the papers, even the cheapest ones are rarely worth the price of the ad when you measure up the response.  Give craigslist a try, it's free.  Best part is - if you think you might get better response by rewording your ad, it's just a matter of posting it again with the different wording.  You can even include pictures and URL links, and did I forget to mention IT'S FREE.  Granted, not everyone has internet acess, and in some areas most don't, but I've found that those that do see the ads and pass the information onto their friends/relatives that aren't wired.  I've noticed that whenever I post an ad with say a picture of a really neat slab alongside a picture of a piece of slab furniture, I'll inevitably sell that slab

Cedarman

One of the ways that I get down to brass tacks is to ask the caller what they are needing. I try to get them to be specific.  If they want to come and check the lumber out, I ask them to tell me a time and when they come, I show them a few pieces so that they get an idea of quality etc.  You must learn to guide the conversation.  Do not be afraid to interrupt to get the conversation back on track. Most people understand that you are in business and will act accordingly.  Others don't have a clue and you just have to be blunt in a nice way.
And remember this is just for one species, cedar. 

When your customers call, get them to narrow down what they are interested in.  If they don't know, tell them to come and look at your look through pile to get an idea of what they might need and from that you can help them.

From experience, I can take an hour or 5 minutes depending on how busy I am at the moment.  Sometimes it is pleasurable to listen to your customers.  They have a lot of information, especially about your competitors.

When asked what is the smallest order I will fill, I tell them "One board, if I cut it in two, then I have 2 boards".  I let them know I am doing them a favor and ask in return that they spread the word to their friends that I ...

Ask your customers that do call, what they look for in an ad.  What got them to call.
Ask them if they have woodworking friends.  Get their names and numbers.  Call them.

Do you have any mom and pop lumberyards?  You might work a deal with them.  Make sure they come out well.  We all know how much the BBS's mark up their hardwoods.  This would give the mom and pop a chance to have something the BBS's don't.  Just ask the mom and pop what you could do for them that would help them make money.

Just some thoughts as I eat breakfast.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Fla._Deadheader

We always tried to have a few pieces with a finished surface,
so they can see that special effect they might be looking for.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DR_Buck

Kelven,

Almost all of the lumber I've sold thusfar except for fence boards has been to hobby woodworkers that work in the same business my regular job is in.   I advertise 'package' products on our company online bulletin board and hang paper adds next to all of the coffee pots.   This has been very successful for me.

A typical add would read:

" For Sale - 200 board foot 4/4 kiln dried rough sawn cherry.   Mostly 7ft lengths,  various widths from 4" to 9".  Free deliver to office parking lot, or you pick it up.  $xxx.xx.   Call me at (123) 555-1212" 

A lot of time I'll get calls asking if I have any walnut, oak, other species or thicknesses.  This leads to additional sales, or at least a visit from the serious buyers and less of the lookie -loos.   This works well for me considering there is a hardwood and speciality wood dealer less than a mile from my office.   

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

bull

Target your market base, word advertising for the customer you want to sell to and see what happens. I only advertise seasonally and push " locally grown and harvested". Also market yourself,chase down buisness, take a ride and stop at your local woodworking shops, house construction sites, farms and small buisnesses that use small amounts of pallet stock. Construction companies have alot of use for low grade wood " truck and trailer bodies, stagging , temporary sign posts, bridging and cribing. Well drillers are always looking for beam stock (shorts etc)
You will be amazed at how much more income you will recover from you low end wood overall. And working on supply and demand you may have to sacrifice some of you high end wood for the low end market.......... Charge a shop minimum $ (1 hour) and (minimum sale Price ) for single item sales ( 1 board ) you will get a handle on the board sorters real quick, also a restocking fee !!
Your in buisness to make a living not for someone to be picking your pocket !!!!  This all may sound a little harsh but it has worked for me !!!

TexasTimbers

Time. It takes time to establish yourself as a reliable, honest supplier of high quality anything and hardwood is no different. just a businessman perspective, you don't have to be a sawyer to know that.

Ads would be a waste of money IMO. You might snag that one lifetime customer who ends up buying $20k over the yeqars but not likely.

What IS nearly pricelss though is to have your local paper do a story on how you have recovered from the fire, and have not only replaced your kilns, but have upgraded your service. You have persevered. The papers love any story of local interest like that and would be happy to take your own story copy, maybe edit it a little, but pretty much publish it. That way you get to say what you want.
What's even better is to get them to interview you. You can help the iinterviewer with questions before hand.
they know you are seeking advertisement but they do not care Kelvin. they always need stories of local interest. If something is going on so big it eclipses yours they will wait and publish it when they have room/need copy.
Don't be afraid to ask. It won't catapult you into multi-million dollar sales but it will give you a shot in the arm you are looking for, because a story like that lends credibility to readers in their subconscious. Their local paper would not do a story onj someone unless they were the real deal.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Yep, I LOVE this Forum!
pc_smiley
Set appointments?    Yes.
Qualifying your customer and establishing their need, BEFORE they come? Yes.

As MetalS. said,  graduated board ft. rate?  Yes.

As CedarM said,  qualify your customer (sales 101).

As UrbanL and Fla_D said, a picture worth a thousand words.

As MetalS. and SwampD said,,   quality, sorting, access?  Yes.

Kevjay has a point about depending too much on advertising.

Bull, I need to get one of those local interest stories going.  (It may help
with the local city inspector, too.  He seems to forget that I am in an
industrially zoned area.)

The experience MetalSpinner had is exactly what none of us need.

Using the internet to show off portions of your own house, or to show
of examples of what your wood can become is the greatest ad.  As
UrbanL said,  Craigs List would give you instant feedback.  No response?
Then reword the ad, but the hook is going to be in the visual appeal - that
pic of the potential end result of buying your lumber!

My challenge is always trying to improve my lumber yard.  Somehow
I need to take it from a drying yard to being a display point:
      Sorting the stacks for grade.
      Subdividing stacks for easy access. (using dunnage dividers, to allow
                                                             lifing off sections of a pile in 500lb.
                                                             increments, etc. with skidsteer)
      Putting the best stuff within easy reach.

Word of mouth?  Still the king!   That's why I liked Cedarman's comment:
QuoteAsk your customers that do call, what they look for in an ad.  What got them to call.
Ask them if they have woodworking friends.  Get their names and numbers.  Call them.

Phil L.

Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

KGNC

Kelvin:
There is a pretty good book on cheap and free marketing techniques that might help. I think the title is The Guerrilla Marketing Handbook I looked at it a some time ago and if I remember correctly it was not a big fan of classified ads. Don't know if their methods work but it was a cheaper way of letting people know what you do.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

I have an uncle who retired well from a life-long business
as a self-employed auto mechanic.   Any time I would pop
by his shop he was friendly and was glad to see me, BUT
his hands kept working. 

Maybe, when you get a bona fide talker, you should have
a stack of lumber handy which needs resorting, etc.   As the
talker talks, let them handle the other end.  That way not only
do your hands keep working, but maybe their's can too!  Or
maybe have a stack near a planer.  Hand the talker some
cheap ear plugs and switch it on with,  "Hey you might like these boards!"
They can off-bear or return the board to you, so you can run
the other side.   (Hey, it worked for Tom Sawyer!)
:D

I think what Kevjay said about taking time and building clients
goes hand in hand with keeping in mind that word of mouth is
so easy!  Easy that is, IF you do good work and handle your
customers well.  It is easy for all of us to forget past and current
customers in favor of dreaming of the next, or dreaming of greater
things. (Too easy for me sometimes.)

Phil L.                   P.S.  I run bargain shopper paper ads - just a line
                                   or two for $3-$5 per week per insertion.
                                   I print my own postcards for direct mail. 24¢
                                    You can even glue-stick on a second layer of
                                    thin paper and use the postcard to deliver a
                                    business card.   Just did fifty or so yesterday.
                                    Works like an envelope.

Robert Long

Kevin;
Don't turn people away!  This has been pointed out in many of your responses to your question.
I have created corners in the shop with everything from carving blocks for carvers,turning blanks for turners,stays for long bow and gun stocks even a corner with assorted pen blanks as an attempt to satisfy the person with a very little to buy or spend.  They will be your salespersons and will lead to bigger sales and contacts.

All mill operators are busy people, cutting,processing,maintaining equipment, doing paper work, etc
So, try to organize your time to make time for these added visits.  For one, you can talk to the person on the phone or send them a quick e-mail letting them know you will be in your shop on a certain day and to come out then, have all who enquire come out at that time so you are not giving up time for them but have made time for them and because there are more of them comming you can find reason to move on, the talkers will get the message and quicken their visit.  During this time do other things around the shop.  Eventually they will come to expect to find you available on that day of the week and you too will build a routeen and look forward to that day of visits.

Kelvin

Thanks everyone for taking the time to share your ideas.  Its all good stuff to think about and try.  gotta compose my ads and get busy posting them and contacting the newpapers.
KP

Warren

Kelvin,
I probably err on the side of talking too much.  But, living in a small community, I do not want to cut the conversation too short and become known as a rude @%*.  Too many people know/related to too many other people.  As others have stated, I try to politely determine the need and figure out if I have, or can produce something to meet the need.  If I don't have it, I will also refer folks to the two other businesses that do milling on the side.

Just starting out, I look at the time talking to folks as part of the investment in starting up the business.  Past experience with my computer business (10 years ago) results from local newspaper ads were not so good.  Word of mouth is king.

Phil,
I am coming to the same realization that I need to improve my "display area".  Taking folks from pile to stack around the barn is probably not most long term effective manner to show off products.  That will be the next project after the Kiln is started up.

Warren

LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Warren,
I got so many "round toits" hanging 'round that somebody ought to
feel sorry for me, but the wife says,  "NOT!"
I Saw Jake Dean on Tuesday.   Is that orange thingmajigger you bought
off him treatin' ya' right?  Jake was setting up his resaw rig.

Kelvin,
I just had my fifth call in two days off the last batch of post cards I sent
out.   I have never had five calls off of a classified.  I don't even think
about display ads.  Earlier, I had said I mailed fifty cards.  I think it was a little less than that.
Responses:
                   1.   "Need to have six trailer loads of ply-logs sawed."
                           (Veneer grade that sat too long,  24" average dia.)
                    2.  "Got your card.  My previous sawyer and I had a
                           problem.  Let me gather a few more logs first."
                    3.  "We cut a  3-4 ft. thick oak, solid as a rock.
                           Think its 15' long.  Is that something you could use?"
                    4.   "Do you sell wood, as well as saw it?"
                    5.  "Have cleared some land.  20 oaks to be trailer decking
                           and my brother will bring in some good pine logs."
Whachathimkaboutdirectmail?
;)
Phil L.                                   Makes me wish I hadn't sold my second swinger.

DR_Buck

Phil,

How did you develop the direct mail list?   What was you source?   

Kelvin,

Another way I snag a lot of customers is I made up a small (8 1/2 x 11) flier with a small holder for business cards attached to it and hung one on the bulletin boards at all of the local farm & feed supply places.    Every few months I make the rounds and replenish the cards or replace the fliers.    I originally thought this would bring in a lot of fence board customers.   Well mostly I snag woodworkers and farmers that want boards for projects, barns and sheds.   I recently snagged a job way to big for my part-time operation.  Turned out to be over 30,000 bf of sawing.  I passed it off to another full-time sawyer that also expanded the job into building a barn for the guy.  He had almost 4 months of work out of that one.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Good one,  DR Buck!  That idea should definItelee get STOLE!

My source?    I searched with the internet for "land clearing" and "tree services."
Best thing about it is you can block copy the info and don't have to type them all
up -  and don't have to pay someone to send you a mailing list.

I refined what I found and narrowed it down, then customized a card for the locals -
within an hour's drive.  Did another card for a larger, but more distant metro area,
which can afford my rates on the really BIG LOGS.  Haven't mailed them yet. 

Phil L.

fireman05

Kelvin,

I agree with that has already been said.  I do run occasional ads and when a client calls, I ask specifically what they are looking for and intend to do with my product.  I assist them in suggestions to make my product work for them and schedule an appointment.  Most of my clients either come out on a weekend or in the evenings during the weekday. 

I do guide the conversation and if it looks as though the discussion is going no where and the client is wasting my time, I attempt to break away.  This doesn't always work.  I do not allow customers to be in the shop if machinery is operating due to liability.  This is sometimes all a client is looking for!  I show pictures or take clients to some demo jobsites I have done work for. 

When all else fails ask them how much material they would like loaded into their vehicle!! :D  This worked on 2 clients who thought I had plenty of time to talk.  They politely ended the conversation and left.  They both came back at a later date and made purchases and have purchased several times since.

Even though these people take time, sometimes the time spent results in an educated and satisfied customer.  Sometimes not.  You will know which ones are wasting your time.

Good Luck.
Wood Mizer LT40G Manual, Nyle L200 kiln, Logosol PH260 Moulder, Kubota L4300 with Farmi winch

Cedarman

People look in the wanted section of classified more than the for sale section, I believe.  So if you do use classified, word it. Wanted, someone to buy _________ whatever. People look at this section more because they may find someone wanting what they have. 
I agree with most that classifieds are not the best way to get customers.

When potential customers show up.  Have a plan onhowyou are going to control the conversation.  This is extremely important if you want to get things rolling. 
Body language is important.  If sitting, stand up.  This is a sign the meeting is concluding.  Head toward the customers car or truck.  Did they come in a car?  Probably not wanting much right now.  Although I have put a good bit of lumber in a trunk that they wanted cut in 4' lengths. 

Keep on track, ask "Is there anything else I can show you".
Don't start another story yourself.  It is tempting at times to keep talking.
Above all else, keep in mind that you are in charge of the meeting.  Have set goals.
Preplan what you want to show, how you will show it.  Make a written list of the points you want to make with each customer.  You are in sales at this moment. Learn the art of closing the sale.   There are full books on this subject.
Be sure to get the customers name and phone number.  Have a ticket book handy if the customer wants to place an order.  Keep a pen in your pocket at all times. Have business cards in your wallet ready to hand out.  Always hand it so the customer can read it.

I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!