Winches are killing me

Started by Iron Mtn Scott, June 26, 2012, 02:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iron Mtn Scott

Hello,
I'm here in BC Canada and it rains. Did I say it RAINS!  I've noticed either I'm getter weaker (possible) or my winches are getting harder to crank. Was wondering if you lads ever clean them out or lubricate them? Not sure if this is possiblle as I believe they use a "dry clutch" system? in them. In fact, not sure if anybody ever does any chain lubrication (dry graphite type) or the like. All I know for certain is my mill used to crank up and down easily regardless of where the carriage was. Now, if I try to crank and the carriage is at the same end as that particular winch handle, it takes two arms to lift it. I can't figure if it needs lubrication & a cleaning or if this means it's lunched?  The clutch bar has gotten extremely tough to push in as well. I'm not ultra mechanical and goodness knows those plastic housings on the clutches are a right pain to remove to even access the crank assembly.  Anybody out there know if this is a replace or adjust or clean & lubricate situation?  My mill is a 8-25. It sits outside, motor covered in the weather but winches are in the elements. And what is with the wasps?  Seems I can't let my mill sit for a week without every rail, every winch handle being filled with wasp nests.  Hmm, I did have a couple of wasp nests in each winch handle a few years ago. Couldn't even turn the handle it was so jammed with nest. Took it apart, cleaned it. Left it dry as a chip (the way I found it) and it wasn't too bad. But as I say, now it is just bloody way too hard to crank if it has the carriage weight on the end I'm cranking. Any ideas would be welcome.  Thanks to all. Scott

Holmes

You can lube the chains with any oil that will help. I just had my winches apart this spring and there is a brake like assembly inside the cover that the handle can be over tightened against. I had to take the pin out of the handle stem and back the handle off 1/2 turn. Hope this helps
Think like a farmer.

dudley j

Hi Scott there are number of things you can do to make your winches wind up a bit easyer.If it has a clutch in there it doen't matter if they get oil on them they will still work.You do need to pull the cover of the winches to make shaw your chain has not rusted.
I no taking the covers of is not easy to make it a bit easyer to take of just cut the bottom side of the winch cover near the winch handle then the cover should come of easy.
With the winch spray some crc on the chain and on the thread on the clutch handle.
You may need to take the the black bushes out on the top end of the winch they are near the big sprocket and rotate them 180 put grease inside the bush do both of them and the one on the other side of the end frame as well.If the mill has been left out side the four lift chains could be rusted up to, spray some crc on the four up right pole that will make the slider slide up and down a bit easyer.
See how you go with that scoot let me no how you get on.
Cheers Dudley from lucasmill

beenthere

Welcome to the forum Dudley.
You say from lucasmill.  Can you elaborate on that a bit and tell us more about yourself?
Where are you located? A touch of Aussie in the writing, and wondered.

Appears you have some knowledge about the winch.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dudley j

I have been working for lucasmill for about 15 years and i have known the family for about 40 years.My first job i had when i left school was working for Geoff  lucas on the farm.
My job at Lucasmill is driving around selling mills and helping people out with mill problems.Love my job and talking about the mill.
Live in a place called wodonga which is not far from Wooragee where lucasmill is.
Dudley