iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Four Questions!!

Started by Gipper, July 17, 2004, 11:21:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gipper

I have four questions, but to avoid the post getting too long, I will break them in two post of two questions each.  Shouldn't let the questions pile up, but been too tired last few nights to try to post.  Question # 1is a price question concerning Eastern Red Cedar that has been cut and properly stickered and air dried for several years, and the price of Oak, both red and white, green off the mill.  I know pricing varies in different parts of the country and I am looking for general prices in the Appalachian Mountain area of Eastern Ky, Northeastern Tn., Southwestern Va., Southwestern, W. Va., or Southeastern Ohio.  Rough sawn, bandmill, with nothing additional.

Question # 2 concerns the "Beam machine."  I think it was on this site a few weeks back a picture of a man splitting a huge log with what appeared to be, and I think someone replied that it was the beam machine he was using.  Can this  be used to cut a large log down to a managable size to put on the mill.  Reason for asking is a guy brought me a huge white oak that won't fit on my mill.  According the the Forum caculators, it weighs over 6000 lbs. and has nearly 600 board ft.  If I can take a few inches off each side, I can saw it, preventing it from going to the burn pile or for firewood.

Thanks in advance for any help.  I will post the other two questions on another thread titled Poplar tree problem - the other two ?'s.

rebocardo

The beam machine is nice because you do not have to hold the weight of the saw, which is why I am buying one. I have split smaller trees and holding a 20 pound saw for an hour can be a real drag after the first 12 feet.

Plus, I think the beam machine would help prevent you hitting the dirt because you can keep the angle constant. I tried splitting a 36 inch oak using safety chain and gave up. It just takes too long. The beam machine might be nicer AND safer when using a ripping chain.

I would roll it up on 4 inch wood, block/chock each side of the log with firewood so it does not roll when it is finally split (note to self - do not be standing with a foot on the downhill side of the log on the final split...) . That way when you split the log, you do not have to worry about your chain going all the way through and hitting dirt. You just saw into the wood supporting it instead.

MemphisLogger

Gipper,

That might have been us using that Beam Machine . . .

It works for splitting logs in half, but wouldn't do much for slabbing off the sides--ya need an alakan for that.
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Thank You Sponsors!