iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Band wheel belt wear

Started by wvwoodbutcher, April 13, 2016, 08:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvwoodbutcher

This is my first set of belts as my EZ Boardwalk Jr probably has just shy of 100 hrs on it. My questions are, is this normal? And if not, what causes this? As you can see in the photos the belt separated on the back side. 

Hudson Oscar 36

TimGA

What are you using for lube?  How long has it taken to get 100hrs ? Drive side or both?
                         Hate to answer question with questions. Looks like diesel  and intervals between sawing I have had that on my TK2000 could also just be that belt.
                            Tim
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

WV Sawmiller

No idea if this is normal or not. I have 270 hours on mine, I rotate/flip-flop them every 50 hour service and both still look good.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

wvwoodbutcher

TimGA: Primarily use straight diesel for lube as I saw a lot of pine. Bought the mill new 1 year ago. Worse on the idler side, but drive side starting to do the same.
WV Sawmiller: Never thought to rotate them but makes sense. May be part of my problem?

Thanks
Hudson Oscar 36

Magicman

Quote from: wvwoodbutcher on April 13, 2016, 09:31:26 PMPrimarily use straight diesel for lube as I saw a lot of pine.
What does your sawmill manufacturer recommend for blade "lube/cleaner"?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Wish I could take credit for a genius moment to rotate belts to equalize the wear but it is part of the normal checklist in my WM operator's manual to do so.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

paul case

I would bet your belts are tight on the wheel, so they are a little hard to get on or off. Don't bother switching them. Get a new set and hold on to them. use it till one breaks or comes off and them put on a new 1. There are some videos you should watch on changing those tight belts as they can be a challenge. I think Timber king has some of those videos on you tube.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

wvwoodbutcher

Magicman, EZ Boardwalk didn't make any recommendations on lube. The fella that sharpens my bands told me if I ran diesel it would eliminate the buildup. Could that cause the belts to separate?
WV Sawmiller, I woulda never known : :D
Paul Case, I'll check out those videos.

I'm gonna give EZ Boardwalk a call tomorrow and have them send me a set.
Hudson Oscar 36

TimGA

Looks to be a tight belt on pulley as PC said same on my TimberKing. When using diesel as lube this will happen especially when let to sit for a length of time. I watch for excessive blade vibration when I know the belts are getting close to change. Don't wait to long as you will start to have blade breakage. Not a bad job once you do it once, I put a little dish soap on the belt to help it slip a little. I normally get around 200 hrs on a set I always replace both belts unless belts were in good shape and have a blade break and a big chunk is taken out of one. As a personal choice I use diesel, no pitch, clean blade, no waves from pitch build up, just me.
                                   Tim
TK2000, Kubota L3130GST, grapple, pallet forks, 2640 Massey w/loader (The Beast) Husky saws Logrites One man operation some portable most stationary.

Magicman

I have sawn many hundreds of Mbf of SYP (probably over a million) and have never used anything but liquid Cascade & water for lube.  I am quite sure that there is something better, but I choose to stay with what works for me.

I will admit that I sawed some SYP last week that was very pitchy and I had to resort to running the LubeMizer full force to keep the blade free of buildup.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

wvwoodbutcher

Thanks Tim. I'll keep that in mind when I change them.
Magicman, I'll try the cascade. About how much do you use? I have a 1 gal lube tank.
Hudson Oscar 36

Magicman

2-3 oz per gallon of water.  LINK

Magicman

And now a few words from the Master Himself:  Mr. Tom

wvwoodbutcher

Thanks for the links Magicman.
Hudson Oscar 36

ladylake

Quote from: wvwoodbutcher on April 13, 2016, 10:02:17 PM
Magicman, EZ Boardwalk didn't make any recommendations on lube. The fella that sharpens my bands told me if I ran diesel it would eliminate the buildup. Could that cause the belts to separate?
WV Sawmiller, I woulda never known : :D
Paul Case, I'll check out those videos.

I'm gonna give EZ Boardwalk a call tomorrow and have them send me a set.

Goodyear B56 work best, make sure that's what your getting from EZ Boardwalk.   I've never had one come apart, once in a while a broken blade will ruin one.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

TimGA

Steve,   last b56 Goodyear belts I got came from Continental ContiTech I believe Mexico. Brand new set broke 3 blades was not to concerned as they had 6 plus sharpens  next one broke had only 2 sharpens. Start looking at what could be wrong not normal find terrible blade vibration.  Run my hand over band belt, it has bump at joint where it is put together, find same on drive belt also.   
          Call Mike at TK says they are having same problem with these belts. They are trying different brands no winner yet. I bought 2 Gates Hi-Power || B56 not quite as flat but I have 150 hr on them and working great. I also use only diesel and I feel they are holding up better. About $13.00 at O Riely's TK2000 mill.
                                       Hope this helps   Tim

thecfarm

I bet I have double the hours on my mill and brought it back in '03-'04. So far my belts are not showing wear. I use half diesel and half bar and chain,BUT only at a real SLOW drip. Only a drip every few seconds. That is what Thomas Bandsaw Mill told me to use.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

xlogger

Tim, I've broke more bands that I want to think about. I will check my belts today to see if they have a bump in them. I think most of my problem with them breaking is that I cut mostly cedar. When it gets old and the bark starts coming off in strips it gets between the band and the wheel.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Thank You Sponsors!