iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A load of %$@#

Started by Wade, July 18, 2003, 09:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wade

I called a tree service that I saw removing some trees that had blown down. I asked the guy what he does with them. He said he grinds up the knarly ones. I asked what he did with the walnuts and oaks and other good ones. He said he had 3 walnuts that he sold to some guy in S. Carolina for $3700.00 each and the guy comes and picks them up also. My cell phone crapped out so I did'nt get to ask him how big they were and after hearing that price I did'nt bother calling him back :o. Now I'm pretty new to this but I can't imagine somebody paying that kind of money for a city tree. I also can't see a veneer buyer wanting anything to do with them either. What do you think, was this guy yanking my chain or what? Wade
If it's worth cutting down a tree for, it's worth doing right

biziedizie

Wade I think the guy is pulling your chain, gotta be careful as there's guys out there that are crooks.
  There's a home builder out here that has 8 very nice trees that were dropped and just by chance I was passing by his lot and I asked him what he wanted for them. He explained to me that theses trees (fir) were worth alot and told me I could have them all for $2500.00. I told him that they weren't worth it to me and he said he had a guy that would pay alot more and that he was giving me a deal.
  I gave him my card and over the last month he has called me a few times and the price has gone down big time. The last call the price was $200.00 for all and I still said no. I know that he's desperate to get rid of these trees as he can't get a final from the city till the trees are gone but I will not help this guy out as he tried to screw me.
  I'm finding that there's alot of crooked people in this business so it's good to be on your toes.

Steve

sawyerkirk

Everyone is tring to make a buck, and if he can make 3 from you, he'll try. In the business world, for every good person, there is one who will try to screw you and one who will succeed!!

shopteacher

I have 3 or 4 tree trimmers that call me to pickup logs from their jobs. Picked up 8 spruce logs yesteday.  I'm doing these guys a favor as nobody wants these for firewood and the trimmer would have to pay his crew to cut and load them for removal.  I don't pay anything for them other than time and hauling.  I had people call that wanted me to come and cut down a tree, clean up the waste and pay them for the log. Sorry no can do.  I tell them to get a tree service and I'll consider picking up the log.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

ARKANSAWYER

You will run into this a lot.   I saw a guy who was cutting up blow down in a yard so I stopped and asked.  He could sell the log and get $2.00 a bdft for the red oak and since it was 16 ft long and about 26 inches there was over 800 bdft in that log.  I offered him $150.00 for the log where it laid and he said no way as he could get $1600.00 for it.  I told him that if he could sell it for $1600.00 I had a bunch that I would sell him for $250 each and he could keep the profit.  He has not called to pick up any logs.   There must be a whole bunch of money in tree trimming since he can afford not to move logs and make $1350.00 for doing it.  And of course he would not let me know where he was selling the logs.  It was not that good of a log and only had about 500 bdft in it.  I guess he did not notice my cape! ;D
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

sawwood

I had a guy call and wanted to know if i wanted a walnut
 tree. I asked if it was down and he said no. I asked why
 he was cutting it down and he said it was pushing his out
 side building in.  I said i don't cut trees down and he should
 git a tree service to do it. He said he wanted some one to
 remove it for free for the log. Have you had any calles like
 this ? The tree service guy i git logs from said he wouldn't
 even cut it as if the building is damaged he would have to
 fix it. So will see what come about it. Nice walnut tree.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

FeltzE

My motto is never pay for free trees! 8)

Tree services are paid to cut and REMOVE trees from residential areas. Foresters Buy stumpage and sell the timber ...

If it's residential, and the tree service dosn't have an already developed market to sell his logs and a method of moving them DONT BUY THEM! You are providing the tree removal service a "service" by reducing his man hours and overhead. Don't pad his pockets. If they arent going to spend the  several thousands of dollars to buy the equipment  to move the product we should practically charge them to move them out.

Last year I moved over 800 tons of "free" timber the year befor was similar. This year the prime supply dried up as the tree service finally bought their own truck.  :(  bummer for me but thats ok. I still get plenty from other guys.

Saw grade oak and pine sells for around 300-350/mbf and if I were to buy logs it WOULDN'T be YARD LOGS. too much tramp metal!

IMHO

Eric

sawwood

I don't pay for logs i git for the tree service or constuction
 jobs. I do work on the one tree service guys Jeep and he
 git the parts i just do the work. Traid works for me and him.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Thank You Sponsors!