iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cellular trailcams

Started by Jeff, August 14, 2022, 08:03:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I switched from verison phone to att and now have about 2 bars of coverage here in the cabin woods. Is that enough to use a cellular trailcam? If so, any suggestions on a camera?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

btulloh

That should be enough. Are you getting the LTE designation next to the bars or just 3G? Either should be be fine but if it it says LTE, you're definitely good to go. 

A friend has had good luck with Spypoint cameras and now has quite a few. Cameras work well and the have some reasonably priced plans, especially if you can keep the picture count down below a certain number. There can be a single camera with the cell connection snd additional cameras can link to the main camera. Seems to work well. I'm planning to get some based on his reports. 
HM126

btulloh

HM126

Old saw fixer

I'm looking into this, the nephews have enough cams to take care of the four legged beasts, I want to monitor the traffic on the ½ mile driveway, especially past the point where my driveway enters the main one.  I have equipment down at the old farm at the end. 
I need to check on the range of these cellular cams.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

btulloh

If your cell phone works at the location, a trail cam will work also.  If checking with your phone, it needs to be the same provider as the camera. Seems like most trail cams offer a choice of Version or at&t.
HM126

jb616

Quote from: btulloh on August 16, 2022, 10:48:30 AM
If your cell phone works at the location, a trail cam will work also.  If checking with your phone, it needs to be the same provider as the camera. Seems like most trail cams offer a choice of Version or at&t.
my son and I have multiple cell cameras, some are ATT and some are Verizon. It doesn't matter what the camera is as long as that provider has coverage in that area. It sounds like Jeff would want Att cameras regardless of his phone provider.

btulloh

Thanks for clarifying that. My post left room for some confusion. 

Checking out the data plans for the Reveal cams, all the plans say "HD pictures and videos NOT included" but I couldn't find anything about the additional cost on the website. It would be nice to know how much it costs to get the HD and video transferred. These addons could turn reasonably priced plan into an expensive situation. 
HM126

jb616

My son has the account but i believe they just send basic pictures, no HD or videos to your phone. You would have to physically retrieve the SD card to get the HD pics and video. 

Walnut Beast

Quote from: btulloh on August 16, 2022, 11:20:52 AM
Thanks for clarifying that. My post left room for some confusion.

Checking out the data plans for the Reveal cams, all the plans say "HD pictures and videos NOT included" but I couldn't find anything about the additional cost on the website. It would be nice to know how much it costs to get the HD and video transferred. These addons could turn reasonably priced plan into an expensive situation.
They are all going to be that way for high resolution pictures. These are my buddy's pictures from the Reveal cams. He's run these cameras for the last couple years,  is absolutely happy with them and plan is fairly cheap. He also has the previously models

terry f

Btulloh, it's $5 for 50 HD video's, you use whichever carrier has the best service in your area, regardless of your phone carrier

bigblockyeti

I'm new but cellular trail cams are on my list of things to get.  I'm hoping to cut more and that's more feasible if I haul my mill to my property 20 minutes away.  I'm worried (a little, not a lot) about theft so I would like to monitor the drive way and part of our private road.  A camera for the four legged critters would be handy to as some of them might need an invitation into my freezer.

stavebuyer

I am really pleased with my Spartan cameras for off grid security.

Jeff

I ordered a reveal sk solar this morning. 8)

beenthere

Look forward to how that works.. is it cellular? and how does the solar panel work? separate part that plugs in? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

btulloh

Cool.  Looking forward to a full hands-on report. 
HM126

Jeff

If @Furby  would make a post, he could tell you first hand. He was here for a couple hours saturday and had his. Hey everyone, please tag Furby and try to get him to come out of his monkdom and at least post and review the camera he influenced me to get!!

He was returning from Yellowstown, where he would deploy his while camping.

terry f

Jeff, what ever you do, make sure you get a class 10 U3 card, 16 or 32 GB, it will save you a ton of trouble. Get two if you plan on pulling one, but it has a process where it will just write over the old card if you want 

Jeff

Thanks Terry, I ordeded one of their cards with the camera. A bit pricey for an sd card, but I know some of my older cheap cameras are even picky.

terry f

Jeff, good move, the Reveal user groups I'm on, that is the number one problem, I don't know what they charge but it's worth the peace of mind. All your settings will be on the app, I would suggest pics and videos, it will send you the second pic, and then if you request video, it will send it to your phone. The weakest point for me was the antenna, a elk broke it off, and as you know, bears are tough on them😊

Walnut Beast

Don't know what model you ordered. But they just came out with a pro model a few weeks back and it has the digital screen to make setup easier and positioning 

Jeff

Tactacam Reveal SK Cellular Trail Camera

Walnut Beast

I'm sure you will be happy with it. That friend of mine of the pictures I posted are from the Tac cameras that first came out

Jeff

First pic sent to me by the camera.
That lickin stick was put up less than 24hrs before where there had never been onen

Walnut Beast

Cool!! Bet your liking the camera

Jeff

If got a skunk you can set your watch by.

terry f

Jeff, you will start looking forward to those notifications  "dings" on your phone, fun cameras 😊 had a bear just ding mine a few minutes ago 

Jeff

Terry, what does it take to add an additional camera to an account? How does that work?

terry f

Simplest part of the whole process, just put it together and scan the code. It will go on your account and if you are on a yearly basis, it will be prorated, monthly might be different. I did the cheapest yearly, and now all my cameras are tied to the same account until my year is up in February. Worst part is it's like Lays potato chips, you can't stop at one😊

Jeff

Yea, I'm already yearning for anudder one. 

beenthere

Just picked up a 6th one (have not gone cellular yet). But the way I figure it, it is cheap entertainment and one I enjoy day in and day out. Never the same, day in and day out. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Walnut Beast

Was thinking about all you cellular guys when I was walking 1/2 mile through the bean field to go hang a  camera and thought how nice a cell cam would be there 😂

terry f

Beenthere, it's like Christmas every time I read a card😊. Walnut Beast, my camera is 60 miles away, probably have saved more in gas by having them😊I do have other cameras around the cell cams, something to look forward to if a good critter shows up 

stavebuyer

I have 2 of the Spartan Cell cams, about 10 Spypoints in 3 different models, and a box full of assorted non cell cameras models and get pictures from a neighbors Tactacam.

Honestly the cheap $30 Walmart Tasco takes better pictures than any of the cellcams. It's main downfall in addition to having to fetch the SD card is its very visible night flash. It will spook a wary buck at close range. The Tactacam and the Spypoints are low glow but still visible red if you are looking at them when they when they flash. 

The amount of camera control via the APP for the Spartans is light years ahead of the imported cameras. I am going into my fifth year with my original Spartan and never a glitch. Goes about a year on a set of lithium batteries. Which I find to be worth every penny in this application. Most cameras are finicky on voltage and cold weather drains cheap batteries and drops the supplied voltage. If you have any connection or trigger issues try a set of lithium batteries. Rechargeables are a definite no-go for the same voltage drop issues.

Walnut Beast

Stavebuyer was thinking about you wondering if you been getting any pictures of deer. Always like to see them 👍

Jeff

terry f

Jeff, Cool video, I don't know if you are still looking for another camera, but our Wal-Mart has the Reveal pro on clearance for $104, I haven't activated my new one yet, so I can't talk to how good they are. 

WmFritz

I've got a few that made it through the winter.

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

SwampDonkey

The deer will come back home as soon as we loose some snow. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Ill reset my cameras to wildlife mode soon.

SwampDonkey

Around here, if you want to see many deer you have to go to Howard Brook. It's cottage country out there, but people live there and a school bus goes out there, garbage pick up to. I was out today with mother and that road is full of wheel ruts. I'd hate to be the school bus driver or a UPS man out there. I was going to ask someone if the plow man lost his way. ;D There was quite a few vehicles going in and out of there today. We did see 30 deer further down stream where the road was paved. They were in small groups, not more than 6. Still snow up to your but most everywhere. Nice place out there until spring comes and the road goes to snot. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

About 45 days of cam pics

Magicman

The deer have a definite trail that they follow which may serve as an indicator sorta pinpointing their bedding and favorite hangouts.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Texas Ranger

In my hunting days I would find a trail and make a false scratch and scent point using doe estrous.  I watched a buck grow up for 3 years using the same set up.  Was the biggest buck I took off that lease.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Peter Drouin

That's cool, a lot of deer coming and going.
Nice setup with the pic. 
I was looking for any bobcats in that. Did you see any?
I have one running around. My deer are not eating as much corn now with less snow. Jump a red fox last week while on my feed walk. 

He was watching a feed spot for red and gray squirrels I think. 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!