iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Band sawing kiln dried lumber

Started by 3244don, February 27, 2013, 11:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3244don

Looking for input on re-sawing kiln dried cants with a bandsaw lt40, want to take them down to 4/4 . Im thinking different blade would be needed.
Thanks

beenthere

What species, and what size are the cants?
Dried down to what moisture content?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

3244don

Quote from: beenthere on February 28, 2013, 12:10:32 AM
What species, and what size are the cants?
Dried down to what moisture content?

Red oak ,10x10 ,6-8% mc
Thanks for the reply

OneWithWood

A standard 9° or 10° band should work just fine.  Be sure to use a blade lube to keep the blade cool.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

if you have drying stresses (sometimes called casehardening), or if you have growth stresses, especially around the first 15 growth rings, or if you have compression wood (often in the first 15 rings), you will notice immediate warp when resawing.  Likewise, if there is a moisture gradient, you may see instant or delayed warp.  Make sure that your customers know this can happen and it is not your mill's fault.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

tyb525

My WM manual says to not use lube with dry wood, or only very little. I personally use about half the lube I use for green wood.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Thank You Sponsors!