iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Found tree/shrub needs ID

Started by Lilly, July 03, 2016, 01:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilly

Hi,
Just registered and I'm new.  I live in Ohio, south of Columbus.  Found this tree/shrub but need help identifying it. Would someone please help?

Thank you.

LeeB

Looks like elm to my uneducated eye.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Klunker

cliffreaves

Looks like walnut to me or some other nutrients tree, but saplings are difficult.   Ash seems like a possibility as well.

WDH

Elm is doubly serrate.  I do not see that in the pic.  Walnut does not have a terminal leaflet. 

Looks like green ash to me. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

bluthum

Does look like ash. If it is green ash the leaf stem will be square. Looks a little more like American ash to me but looking at pictures like this is mostly a guess anyway.

Yoder409

Definitely an ash seedling.  Leaves look a bit glossy to be white ash.  But it very well could be.  If it is.........only a matter of time before the borers get it.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

Rickey

If any one know about this . inform me too .

cliffreaves

I've found that you can pretty much bet on what WDH and some of these other guys say.

DelawhereJoe

Kinda looks like shag bark hickory to me, or atleast what I remember having to pull out of the flower beds that grew  from squirrels planting them.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

WDH

Ash has opposite branching and hickory has alternate branching, so they are easy to quickly tell apart. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mesquite buckeye

Trust WDH on this. He is rarely wrong on eastern species. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Thank You Sponsors!