iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New value added project

Started by Bruno of NH, July 03, 2021, 10:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

I had a bunch of lumber 2nds.
I have had customers ask about my saw horses. 
I had my part time guy make 25 for the mill.
Put a pic on FB market place for $20 each.
They are screwed together.
They are a hot seller. 
The next ones will be oak for more money.

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Lasershark

Are those normal 3.5' woodscrews? Or are you using something more robust?
2020 LT-50 Wide, 38 HP Gas, with debarker, lubemiser and operator's seat,  2002 Dodge Ram, Echo chainsaw, Ogam multi-rip Gang saw, Cook Manufacturing Sharpener/Setter Combo.  RS-2 resaw attachment.

Bruno of NH

They are McFellys heavy duty black coated washer heads
Great screws 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Resonator

How high and wide size wise? Guessing an "I beam" frame?
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Bruno of NH

Yes I - Beam
2x6 top
2x4 tee
2x4 legs
For the mill yard I make them 3ft long x 2ft high
I like my packs 3ft so the fit in a pickup body with room on each fender well.
You could make them any length or height.
When I was a builder I liked high horses 3ft tall to cut on much better on the back.
Stacking horses 2ft high.
I have a special project coming up and will make a set 8ft long.

Resonator

Gotcha. I built my last pair 20" high to keep next to the natural edge slab stacks. Customers always want to look through the pile, (and of course want the bottom one :D), and they are a good height (for me) to stack slabs on.

Don P

wow, as in $40/pair? I had no idea they would sell. I've thought about it before but thought "who would pay money for a sawhorse?" :D

When I was running crews whenever I hired someone their first project was "We need more sawhorses, go make a pair". It was a quick way to see if they had any skills, could plan and work alone and what their productivity was like. Plus I got to learn how they built horses from some.

I think I would shoot anyone that came back with an oak horse  :D. Pretty but I'd hate to move that around  

Bruno of NH

Yup $40 a pair
I won $50 from someone who told me no one will buy saw horses  :D
Some folks don't have time anymore. They will buy anything 

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Crossroads

Nice! I need to make a few of these as well. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

WV Sawmiller

Great use of scrap and salvage 2X4 stuff. I usually use 3' legs and make the tops 4' long and use 3-2X4s to make the I-beam. I do use a stretcher, usually scrap 4/4 stuff on each end and the sides. I assume yours will stack. I have made them with 12-16 inch left over 2X stock and use them to stack wood on too. I use 16d nails to connect mine instead of screws. I advertise mine of Craigslist with a bunch of other items but have never had a taker yet. I hope you continue to do well with them.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

PAmizerman

New style planters I'm trying this year.

Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Old Greenhorn

I really like that! Economical use of both wood and space, plus it's an elevated bed. Nicely done!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Bruno of NH

Nebraska

Looks good Bruno, last bunch I made up I used an old I joist I had in a pile.  I won't leave them set outside. But I was tired of looking at the I joist. 

Resonator

Nice planter!  :thumbsup:
I might add another v-box across the end kind of like a pyramid. Also depending what plants are put in it, it can look like a waterfall as they grow over the edges.

WV Sawmiller

Bruno,

I make sawhorses very similar to that and offer them on Craigslist for $25 each but no takers. I make and use them around the site and if I accumulate a lot of 15-16 inch 2X4 or 2X6 I I make short sawhorse to stack lumber on. The center of the I beam top does not have to be one single piece either. I like to make mine 4' wide.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

jpassardi

We also have a short HD set with the legs made from white oak that we offload/overload on to as material comes off the mill. We take it from them with the forks or direct stack/sticker onto the forks and boom them as another layer to the lumber piles.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

Thank You Sponsors!