iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

skidding tongs or lifting tongs?

Started by surfsupinhawaii, February 15, 2007, 11:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surfsupinhawaii

I am about to buy some tongs for lifting logs to build my house and wanted some feedback from the experts. I have been looking at lifting tongs on line and have come up with a price of about 149.00 each. I have also looked at the skidding tongs and can get them for around 29.00. I understand that the lifting tongs are rated for lifting above a persons head and for different angels and such, but when I compare the pictures of both they have the same basic design. I will be lifting 8''logs up about 8.5 feet in the air on a skyline and just wanted to know what you all thought about the difference in price and if you have ever used the skidding tongs as lifting tongs. Thanks in advance :)

LedlieLogs

Wildlife Action, GA. A great place for kids. No lights, no phone, no motorcars, not a single luxury. Just the GREAT OUTDOORS and the reason I am learning to mill and build small log cabins.

surfsupinhawaii

The longest log will be around 20'. Most of the logs will be short since there are a lot of windows. mostly the header log which will be one of the highest logs. I am building it myself and wanted to to do it my self without the use of a crane and the cost. Thanks :)

LedlieLogs

Hey Surfsup we should wait on the folks with more knowledge than me for sure. With the difference of 120.00 bucks I think I'd go the safe route. Spend the money and be as safe as you can. The whole business of lifting is dangerous. Be careful you only get one chance most times. Good luck, welcome to the forum.
Wildlife Action, GA. A great place for kids. No lights, no phone, no motorcars, not a single luxury. Just the GREAT OUTDOORS and the reason I am learning to mill and build small log cabins.

Sprucegum

Do a search on here - you will find several people using skidding tongs for lifting.

The secret is PLAY SAFE :
never let anyone pass under the load
never let anyone stand where a falling log may roll
make sure the tongs are engaged before you lift, hammer them in if in doubt

Good Luck

Jim_Rogers

The difference is the strength rating, I'd assume.
If you use skidding tongs for lifting and they fail and someone gets hurt then you can't sue the company saying their tongs were not safe.
Because they can say you didn't use them "as recommended." And that's their out for not being liable for any injuries.

As mentioned do it safe, buy the right tool for the job.....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Stumpkin

I would never, ever, lift overhead with tongs. I always lift with straps, choked not basketed. Tom
"Do we know what we're doing and why?"
"No"
"Do we care?"
"We'll work it all out as we go along. Let our practice form our doctrine, thus assuring precise theoretical coherence."      Ed Abbey

Raphael

Quote from: Stumpkin on February 16, 2007, 10:47:48 AM
I would never, ever, lift overhead with tongs. I always lift with straps, choked not basketed. Tom

Indeed, my initial reaction to "I understand that the lifting tongs are rated for lifting above a persons head and for different angels and such..." was Not Above My Head You Don't!.   :D

Falling timbers can really dance and move in unpredictable ways when they hit the ground.  Don't ask me how I know this.  ::)

Good chokers, clearance blocks and a little extra time are pretty cheap when compared to the cost of compound fractures and crush injuries.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Woodbender

Boy I read that too fast!

I thought for a second there the subject line said "Skidding THONGS or Lifting THONGS".

Best not to go there methinks. :o
Tim Eastman (Woodbender)
Be an example worth following.

Loghead

Have to chime in here after building 2 homes with lifting tongs and working with others on a couple more useing straps I would have to recomend USE THE STRAPS !!! once you have seen a 30 ft log come lose from the tongs and land on the hood of the line truck doing the lifting  :o :o :-[ :-[ :-[it will convince you DO IT SAFE.
  NEVER SEEN A LOG GET FREE WHEN ITS CHOKED IN A STRAP!!!! 8) 8) ;D
lovin anything handcrafted with logs!!

woodsteach

Quote from: Stumpkin on February 16, 2007, 10:47:48 AM

Please help me understand the difference b/t choked and basketed?

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

scgargoyle

Quote from: Woodbender on February 16, 2007, 01:01:37 PM
Boy I read that too fast!

I thought for a second there the subject line said "Skidding THONGS or Lifting THONGS".

Best not to go there methinks. :o
There'll definitely be skid marks in those thongs if you drop a big log...
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Radar67

Woodsteach, basketed is both ends of the strap on a hook with the log cradled in the center ( a strap on each end of the log). Choked is one end of the strap wrapped around the log and pull the other end through the eye to create a slip point. The free end of the strap is connected to the hook ( a strap on each end of the log).

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

woodsteach

Thank you Radar67,

I haven't done that much with timbers/logs but I'd not chance it with tongs if straps were an option.  If I had to have tongs I'd spend the extra and get the ones for overhead lifting as well.

Woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

surfsupinhawaii

I wanted to give thanks to some of the responses that I received some were intelligent. I am a General Contractor and have been one for some time now. First log home build, but have been a sawyer for a while also . I am using a skyline, not a crane, and understand that if improperly attached I believe that the 149.00 dollar lifting tongs could fail just like the 29.00 skidding tongs. I was looking at the straps, but since I will be assembling this house solo, I would appreciate some clarification. On after setting the log on blocks, which I assume are sitting on the next log to receive this log I have just lifted, how do you remove the Blocks from under the log  that has just been set so that it sits correctly and does not tear any insulation strips or caulking  . I am spiking and thru bolting in some areas. Seems like you could cause a lot of damage and not be to safe buy trying to hammer or pry out a block that has a 300 pound log sitting on it .Seems like the straps would be a safe bet on lifting, but not such an accurate way to set the logs. Thanks for the replys :)

Raphael

I agree, hammering or prying on the blocks could make a mess.
  Once the log is on the blocks I'd use a single set of tongs to raise each end of the log just enough to slip the blocks out one at a time.  I suspect the skidding tongs are sufficient for this purpose as you will presumably have temporary vertical stakes keeping the log from rolling off.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

LedlieLogs

Having only built one very small cabin I am no expert. I did use straps when lifting, sat the log on a small block at each end. Removed the straps, then used a 36 inch pry bar to lift the end of the log to remove the block. This way if it marks the log it is where you will not see it. When using the tongs it can and will leave a mark or small hole. Pretty small in the scope of things but I know I would sit in the cabin and harp on the marks. Just me I guess.
Good luck with your project.

surfsupinhawaii

Thanks Raphael, I like the idea of first setting the log and then on the removal of the blocks, I  think the straps are the safest bet, eventhough I am not going too high I also have seen logs falling in action and I would rather not be the one underneath it :o. Thanks for all of the replies, I will be setting up the skyline in about a week after the snow sets side for a bit. Thanks again :)

jayzee

I have used all kinds of tongs. This lifting, skidding thing is a way for the manufacturers to minimize liability. The tongs are  nearly identical. Fly the logs with straps , land them on blocks or land them on the  end walls and then pry them over into position. It doesn't take much of a bar to lever the log or beam up high enough to remove the strap or to slide it into position. Good luck. Jayzee

Jim_Rogers

There was a picture here in a thread about log building that showed a temporary wall system that was built inside the cabin to prevent the logs from falling in-ward and to insure that the log wall was aligned correctly vertically.
Such a system could be used again on both the inside and the outside to prevent the log from falling out as well.
This would/could help you align the logs and safely remove the strap and prevent it from shifting when levering out the blocks before it is spiked in.
Whatever you do, work safely......

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!