iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ERC prices

Started by Beavertooth, May 10, 2012, 07:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beavertooth

Was wondering if anyone has an idea what a good price to ask for ERC here in southwest ms. 1" boards random with and length. Or if anyone knows anyone who buys it all the time.
                        thanks, craig
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

Magicman

Do you get the Market Bulletin?  I regularly see it advertised in there from .50 to 1.00 per bf.  At that price, it is hardly worth handling.  It seems that folks highly value Cedar and Walnut until you try to sell it, and then they want you to give it to them.   :-\

Out of state prices seem to be better, but then you have transportation costs.  I have one customer that has hauled it to N.C.

I have an upcoming sawjob in two weeks that is over 100 tree length logs.  I'm guessing 4Mbf+, and it will all be for sale.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Beavertooth

Thanks for the info MM. Your right at that price it's not worth fooling with. I don't get the Market Bullentin, have been meaning to subscribe just haven't done it.
I have my sawmill set up at Wallace Lumber out of Summit cutting 2X8's and pallet cants for him everyday. Did this last year for about five months and started back this year two months ago. Could be their 2 more years, 2 more weeks, or 2 more days. I cut 2x8's for lamenated mattes. And you never know from one day to the next about the matte business. I have LT70 with Woodmizer 20' log deck that runs off of the mills hydraulics. I have always done carpenter work and bought used LT40hd in 2005 to cut up lumber to build my house with. Started getting other jobs and eventually started cutting cants for a guy in Fayette Ms. everyday but could not get enough production. So I bought the 70 with log deck after 6 months with the LT40. Worked another 18 months for him with the 70.  Just try to fill in with carpentry work when not sawmilling. THank the Lord Jesus He keeps me  something to do. Whats you phone no. MM I might want to call you sometime or come by and see you.
                                                       thanks again,  craig

2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

Cedarman

My standard price list is at www.cedarusa.com  There are add ons for small orders, lengths other than 8', mostly red, all red, etc.
We ship 90 per cent of what we saw, so there are good markets out there.
Some of the cedar mills sell cants in the 60 to 70 cent range.  They do large volumes and it is either 4' or 8' for the most part.
Most goes to China.
If you buy logs at 35 to 45 and sell at $1.00 to $1.20, that is a good margin for sawing even if it is cedar.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Magicman

PM sent.

Selling lumber is what got me out of the lumber selling business.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Beavertooth on May 10, 2012, 11:18:30 PM
I have my sawmill set up at Wallace Lumber out of Summit cutting 2X8's and pallet cants for him everyday. Did this last year for about five months and started back this year two months ago.

Hi Craig, I may have seen you out there sawing earlier this year. I send Mr. Wallace some hardwood logs every now and then and drop by his mill occasionally. :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Cedarman

Quote from: Magicman on May 11, 2012, 08:31:37 AM

Selling lumber is what got me out of the lumber selling business.
Custom sawing is what got me into the lumber selling business.  Company called and said you saw, we will buy it.
Put an electric motor on, wheels off and never looked back.
I did enjoy the custom sawing though.
But that was 25 years ago.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

shelbycharger400

mill here was only paying 15 cents a board foot.
kerry sold a chord of them... the best logs...and only got 15 cents a board foot..
i wasnt pleased..and i told him too. they were 12 to 18in dia.  and straight! and solid
stuff that dia  starts around 2 to 3 a foot up to 5 bux a board foot.    Get got pennies  what it was worth.

Thank You Sponsors!