iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Countyline Log Splitter? Best Budget Splitter?

Started by GaTrapper, January 21, 2022, 12:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spike60

My 2 1/2 cents on the engine speed discussion is that all of this stuff should be run at full governed engine speed. The guys who have mentioned oil flow and air cooling are correct. I think much of the "half throttle" argument is based on the impression that it sounds like you are "going easy" on the engine, but if fact the opposite is taking place. The engine is well out of it's power curve when run at part throttle.

Plus, everything the engine is running is also running at half speed, which is not good for those components either. The splitter pump, hydro transmissions, belts and such are all more stressed when not driven at design speeds.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

ricksca

The stock hydraulic filter on a Countyline 22 ton splitter says "25 Micron". Wix makes a 20 and a 30 micron. Would it be better to go 5 microns too big or 5 M's too small?

sawguy21

You probably be better off with the 30 micron, 20 may restrict flow too much 
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

doc henderson

mine on the return is 10.  for what it is worth.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

hedgerow

Quote from: ricksca on March 19, 2023, 06:41:59 PM
The stock hydraulic filter on a Countyline 22 ton splitter says "25 Micron". Wix makes a 20 and a 30 micron. Would it be better to go 5 microns too big or 5 M's too small?
I always run 10 Micron on my splitters and on the splitters I service and or repair and resell. Surplus Center in Lincoln Nebraska is normally were I buy my filters from. 

woodroe

Quote from: Spike60 on February 11, 2022, 06:03:44 AM
My 2 1/2 cents on the engine speed discussion is that all of this stuff should be run at full governed engine speed.
My Troy-Bilt with the GX160 Honda engine has only one speed, full throttle.
So there must be something to it.
Makes you wonder why some of the other engine mfgs. have variable speed engines on splitters.
Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

doc henderson

splitting wood is a social event sometimes and we like running the 18 hp at idle to 1/3rd throttle.  moves slower and we can easily talk over it.  has plenty of power.  Spike is the concerns cooling and oil distribution?  It has a filter and a low oil (pressure?) shutoff.  It has a remote exhaust so it is not bad a full throttle but with a 28 gpm pump, it goes fine at lower speed.  

edit:  I was farther behind than I realized and I see the explanation below.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

I have a tach and hour meter.  I have the low oil shut off (ground) or can be wired to light a light.  It comes off the oil filter housing.  If I wanted to add a temp gage, where would I put the thermistor and what would be a temp above which I should be concerned.  would it go in the block below the oil level?  aluminum block, It has two drain plugs and I could tap into one of them,

beenthere

Have had the same splitter since Jan. 1985. Always have run 8hp Briggs on low throttle (not idle, just low rpm, maybe 1/3 throttle as Doc suggested).

Just feels better than running WOT. Also less tired working around it, maybe feeling more relaxed. 874 hours on the Briggs.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

hedgerow

The only small engine I have that I don't run WOT is the one on my my water tender trailer that fills sprayers and other tanks. Normally run it half throttle to have time to get the chemicals in the inductor before the sprayer is full. 

doc henderson

OK.  I ordered a oil temp probe and gauge.  I ordered a red light for the low pressure sender.  I may get a volt and amp meter, but they I need  DASH.  I could get an oil pressure gauge, but really things are out in the weather, and I already have some stuff to replace occasionally like toggle switches.  they make a little insert to give a second port. I could remove the sender that goes to ground with low pressure and add the gauge, but lets not get too crazy. 

GaTrapper

Has anyone purchased the County Line lately? 

I was getting ready to buy one, but several of the recent reviews on their website haven't been great. 

I've heard that the machine is very hard to find parts for.

Thoughts?

TroyC

I used mine last week, first time in two years. Started on the first pull. It probably only has 20-30 hours on it as I only use it to split campfire wood for the hunt camp. Made a log cradle for it, worked good. Looks like most of the parts on mine would be easy to find, generic sort of stuff. I keep it inside when not in use and have had no issues with it. Nothing has broken and it works as expected. Price has gone up considerably since I bought mine but they still put them on sale occasionally.

GaTrapper

Quote from: TroyC on September 26, 2023, 08:23:45 AM
I used mine last week, first time in two years. Started on the first pull. It probably only has 20-30 hours on it as I only use it to split campfire wood for the hunt camp. Made a log cradle for it, worked good. Looks like most of the parts on mine would be easy to find, generic sort of stuff. I keep it inside when not in use and have had no issues with it. Nothing has broken and it works as expected. Price has gone up considerably since I bought mine but they still put them on sale occasionally.
I've watched them creep up in prices since 2020. Now I'm beginning to wonder if they're still the best value log splitter or if I'm better off buying something different. 

TroyC

Well, everything has gone up, salaries included. I thought I saw the splitters at TSC yesterday around 1400 or so. Didn't look close, just glanced. There have been some improvements to them since I bought mine. At least you won't have to wait on a splitter like you would a sawmill. :)

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

I bought a wood splitter. I've used it a lot for years. Maybe put 100 cords through it. 
I never bought a part for it.
I have not used it for 5 years now.
And I am hard on stuff.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rusticretreater

Like you, I couldn't get past what I was reading about the box store splitters and tractor supply ones like CountyLine.

I wanted the 25 ton DR splitter at $1800, but opted for a 25 ton splitter off of craigslist, (not countyline) for $900.  

Then I saw the DR splitter in person at the local co-op and it was massive in size compared to the one I bought, heavier metal and much better quality. I was disappointed until I remembered how much it would cost to ship it.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Don P

I bought a Lowes/ Craftsman a year ago, my partner has a County line about 5 years old. The frame and ram are basically the same, his has a vertical Briggs that is a push bulb prime, not a fan but it is still working. It is starting to use oil but has a number of hours/cords on it. The engine sits a little higher than mine to make pump clearance under it. Mine is a Kohler, choked so no primer bulb, so far a first or second pull engine. I did hydrolock it today by tipping it way up to move it out of where it was by a pile. I think they are about identical. I doubt there is a part on either I would worry too much about replacing exactly.

Thank You Sponsors!