iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Shed

Started by Jstier, January 27, 2020, 10:16:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jstier

Hey everyone! Thanks to all who helped me get my mill up and running. Had a belt twisting issue. Looks like my mill was sent with the wrong size belt  ::) I've since cut up about 3 11ft ash logs and pretty happy with the mill.  

I am now looking at building a home for my mill. I've looked at this forum and lots of pictures online. Curious what you guys have and what works the best. I'd like to have a shed big enough for couple stacks  of wood inside and maybe a lean to outside for my mill? B&B siding. Thanks in advance! 

btulloh

I'd go with something 40' x 150' and the add on as needed.  :D
HM126

GAB

Quote from: btulloh on January 27, 2020, 10:32:08 AM
I'd go with something 40' x 150' and the add on as needed.  :D
Also build the ends such that they can easily removed for adding on later.
ie don't pour concrete you'd have to remove to expand.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Woodpecker52

First off you need to go to the box store and order your lumber..... er,  or order one of them prefab metal sided ........er  Oh heck just get you a piece of paper and draw off what you want, figure what sizes lengths pitch, and saw your wood, now that's a better idea.  I just built a shed over mine with an enclosed end for the head rig and it is attached to my metal working shop.  The mill doesn't get rained on that's all mine needs.  I wonder what % of mills are just covered with a tarp and left to weather.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Frontier_Paul

<

>

<br
>

This is my little set up that works OK for me. Load from the side and out feed from the end then pick up with tractor forks. Trust me you will want to get your OS out of the weather or she will be a getting that surface rust on the tracks pretty quick. Good luck with what ever you do, let us see your final project. 

Jstier

I like that ! Any reason you put a floor down instead of gravel or just dirt. Yeah this crappy wet Indiana winter isn't the best for it for sure. 

Don P

Do remember that when many rafters bear on a beam of considerable span that it takes a healthy beam to support them, especially if snow is involved. The roof landing on the mill does more damage quicker than rust will and is poor advertisement. When the span of a beam doubles does the beam need to be twice as strong?, the span doubled and the load doubled, it needs to 4 times as strong :P.

Frontier_Paul

It was more of a way to keep things level and easier to clean up the sawdust for me and all the lumber was free as i milled it all. The top header beam is solid 6'' thick and with all the snow we get here in South Carolina :) i feel pretty safe. Everybody has to do what best suits them and work with what they have. That is what makes AMERICA Great!

Jstier

Yeah would be nice for the sawdust ! I can't tell from the pic but did you get the 7ft extension on your mill? 

And how has the frontier been working so far? Norwood support has been A+ with any issues so far. 

Frontier_Paul

I did get the extension, needed for 16' material. I have had good success but like everything you live and learn. I had an issue at first with blades coming off but after getting a feel for things on the blade tension and speed of cut it all came together. I mostly cut southern yellow pines that drip out tree sap like crazy it seems and oak trees. Just a hobby for me and my own use. Support has been great and have had phone conversations with Trevor at Norwood several times on advice. Good luck and reach out anytime. PB

Thank You Sponsors!