iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Back Into Some Timber Framing

Started by Joel Eisner, March 16, 2008, 10:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel Eisner

We are back at it with another project.  It was going to be a timber frame addition to our small timber frame house that we completed (nothing is really ever complete) 1.5 years ago.  We are tripling the size of the place so for speed we decided to stick frame but use some timber elements.  Here is a post from our blog about todays adventure.
===================
With the first floor stick framing of our house addition moving forward, it became evident that I needed to get going on some timber frame elements that are in the plans. We decided for time purposes that we were going to stick frame the addition, unlike the original section of the house that we currently live in. It is all traditional timber frame joinery cut by hand with minimal use of power tools by yours truly. It took the better part of 4-5 months to cut the joints working nearly 7 days and ~ 40 hrs a week in addition to family obligations and my day job. Given the addition is 2-3 times the size of the current place, we decided to rule out the joinery but instead place a few elements to tie things together.

The original idea for the pole barn (recently nearly completed) was to provide open covered space for timber frame projects and woodworking, and this was the first weekend for timber framing.

It was great to have everything under one roof, including the sawmill and logs since we had showers on and off. I cut the 3 timbers Friday night and Saturday morning and got them into place in the shop. They are going to provide support for a corner of the addition that is open to an enclosed, bumped living space. It is a an 8x8 column with two 8x10 beams coming off the column to make the corner. The main joint is a housed mortise that will be pegged. It will also have braces.

When I put the timber frame tools away a couple of years ago I sharpened and oiled them so things were ready to go. It did not take long to get back in the groove and the timbers fresh off the mill cut like butter. It is all Southern Yellow Pine that has been down for a year but surprisingly there is no spalting or real bug damage. This is the pile of logs that I cut when clearing for the barn. The remainder will be used for the house project and to finish the barn.

My youngest son Jacob joined me in the barn. What a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon, but I am going to sleep well tonight.
==================
The saga of our timberframe experience continues at boothemountain.blogspot.com.

ironstumper

Hey Joel, Good to see another member from NC. That makes 3 that I'm aware of. I'm from the Grsboro area. I looked at your photos Good work. 8)    Doug
Rom 8:19 Can't wait!!

Joel Eisner

Here is a PM that I got.  I thought it was a good question for others to see:

"just curious how much does that beam weigh that you show in the picture that you have notched out on one end? I've always admired the old style  of building  and i have great respect for anyone who does it this way. Still amazing how the Amish here in Pennsylvania put up barns so quickly   though  seems awful time consuming like you mentioned on your web site"

The one with the notch on two sides is an 8x8 post and was about 11 ft long (rough cut to length).  The cross pieces were 8x10's (6 and 10 ft long).  The 10 ft 8x10 was 200+ lbs.  Two of my helpers lifted it into place by first getting it to the top of 6 ft ladders, then let it rest on those.  Then they placed it on their shoulders and walked it into place as I moved/directed the tennon into the mortise.

One of the guys complained about bruises on his shoulders the next day.
The saga of our timberframe experience continues at boothemountain.blogspot.com.

Thank You Sponsors!