iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wow - Hobby Hardwood is Listed as Number 1 Hardwood Retailer in Alabama

Started by YellowHammer, January 01, 2022, 08:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowHammer

One of our customers came in today and congratulated us and said that we had been listed as the top retail hardwood lumber supplier in Alabama by Home Woodworker.com, a national website that does woodworking "stuff".  Wow.  We even beat out Woodcraft in Birmingham.  So far we have 98 Google five star reviews and 1 four star review.  

Anyway, I had to brag little and thought some folks would be interested in this.  It shows that if we can do it, anybody can do it.  As mentioned in another topic just a few days ago, it all started with a little hand crank LT-15.  

Here are a couple excerpts from the article:

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

thecfarm

See what some smarts and a bunch of hard work will do??
 Maybe that's why not many are doing it.  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Larry

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

WV Sawmiller

Congratulations Robert. I am surprised it is not the whole South or even a larger venue. 8)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

This is not a surprise for some of us, including me. I have known for a while you guys are top notch. BTW, you are not bragging when you state a fact. ;D Good on ya', well deserved!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

trimguy

newoodguy78

That's an accomplishment to be proud of. Congratulations on your efforts. 

Walnut Beast

It goes to show that when you have dreams and visions along with constantly learning and hard work with a little time and patience that anything can be accomplished. And in return have shared your vast knowledge with everyone. Very much appreciated and respected.

CONGRATULATIONS!

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Downstream

Excellent news and congratulations!  always nice to see domestic/local business focused on providing high quality products and service be recognized by the market they serve.  And you still have time to hang with us commoners and from time to time.  :D :D :D
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

barbender

That is awesome! But I have to disagree on one point, Robert- just because you did it doesn't mean anyone can😊 You have a rare drive and gift for organization IMO. Congratulations for how it is all bearing fruit!
Too many irons in the fire

caveman

You and Martha have done well.  I have enjoyed watching the progression of the business over the years on the Forestry Forum, videos and on your website.  JohnM quotes you while making a point to me at least once every day that we work with the sawmill or wood.

One of these days we need to take a road trip to see Hobby Hardwood.  If we do, we'll likely have another slide down the slippery slope.
Caveman

Ianab

From the Woodworking side, they are always crying out for places to buy decent wood, without 3 middlemen (and the markups that entails). 

So it's a business model that can work. But it takes hard (and smart) work to make it happen (and still make a profit  ;) )

So yeah, awesome job  8)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

olcowhand

Quote from: YellowHammer on January 01, 2022, 08:45:52 PMAnyway, I had to brag little and thought some folks would be interested in this.

My Dad always said: "If you can do it, it ain't Bragging!".... Congratulations!
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

SawyerTed

Congratulations!  You did it the old fashioned way. You earned it!  That's something to be proud of and nobody thinks you are bragging.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

customsawyer

Congratulations!!!! Y'all put in the effort to get there and it shows. I'm stoked for you guys.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

kelLOGg

Doesn't surprise me. He has been very responsive to my PMs.
(That's personal messages, not PMS)
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

YellowHammer

I appreciate all the sentiments.  Much credit goes to this Forum, Jeff, all the Admins and the Forum members who keep the Forum running cleanly and professionally. This is the only Forum I participate in, although I occasionally peek in on others, at some point I get turned off from them and walk on.  Life is too short to deal with negativity, hostility and stupidity.  Plus, I'm always learning something here, there are folks here who know a lot more than I do, so I look forward to logging on in the morning.    

The folks on this Forum are first class, and I enjoy participating and talking to the members, many of whom have grown to be close friends.  

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

WV Sawmiller

Don't forget to remind everyone to eat their grits,  boiled peanuts and Black-eyed peas. :D A good breakfast, lunch and snack is essential to a productive work environment. ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

That's a fact, lots of people ask how they can do this too, and I tell them they'd better find a Martha, or they don't have a chance!

Grits?  Black eyed peas?  I eat Zaxby's and Fajita's!

YellowHammerisms:

21incher

Congratulations.  You worked  hard and deserve it. I am sure  your  being a mentor on the forestry forum has  given others  the confidence to follow in your  footsteps and be successful in their pursuit of forestry related  ventures also.  smiley_clapping smiley_clapping.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Resonator

Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Andries

Well done Robert and Martha!
I saw Martha having a hip hop moment while running lumber thru the rip saw - not only are you two a success, you're happy too.
A rare combo, congratulations!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

YellowHammer

She loves that SLR, that's her happy place.  

Some folks might not have seen this video that Martha, my daughter Christine, and I made many years ago with our LT-15. The video is old and grainy, the sound track is terrible, it was the first log of the day, and we rolled it off the back of the mill.  

For all the folks who have wives and kids, it was a typical reaction as my wife laughed and my daughter immediately blamed me. :D :D  

It was hilarious and we still watch the video occasionally to have a good laugh at ourself to keep us from getting the "big head."

Good times.

Funny Woodmizer LT15 Humble Beginnings - Sawmill Fail - Hilarious - YouTube

YellowHammerisms:

farmfromkansas

The wives have a huge impact.  Look at my most successful neighbors, they have wives who are very helpful. Have one neighbor whose wife is a nurse, and she drives a silage truck any time she can, and will get out of her vehicle and go out and help work cattle. She fixes lunch so they can just warm it up at noon. I've been invited to stay for lunch and she does good even when she's not home.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Nebraska

smiley_clapping You must've been a rocket scientist or something in a previous life. Good on you guys!

moodnacreek

Ron Scott

~Ron

YellowHammer

Here is one of the pictures I'm most proud.

I took this now faded Polaroid photo of my whole world, when we were young, just out of school, with pretty much everything we had.  My wife, Martha, pregnant with our second child, and my oldest daughter sitting out on our redneck back deck, a converted utility trailer, watching my dog JoJo run around in the mud.  We later sold the mobile home for $4,500 and was happy to get it.

Of course, we had a lot of good breaks along the way, worked hard, and had fun.  

We weren't poor, but didn't have lots of money.  We graduated college, became engineers in an aerospace town, and kept trying to do our own thing.  It was good times.  

Things have changed a little since then.  

YellowHammerisms:

Nebraska

That's beautiful... :) Looks like the Good Lord blessed you real well in that picture Robert.  A young family is  the greatest treasure, you were rich back then.

customsawyer

Those different colored rims don't look DOT approved. Just saying.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Roxie

Getting to number one is amazing. Sharing the look backward is priceless!  Thank you. 
Say when

WDH

Those OSHA approved steps look just like the ones on the trailer that we rented when my wife and I started our journey. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

I think the steps came from the same mobile home dealer where I bought the high class mobile home.  They were probably a lot like yours, Danny, not really built for use, but they served their purpose.  I eventually just moved the utility trailer right up next to the door as a true back porch.  Everybody loved my redenck back deck.  Nothing but the best for us!

Our mobile home had special hole in the floor where the cat could get inside by crawling up under shower stall and pop out from the closet.  So I never had to get out of the chair to let the cat in or out, it was great!

I remember that the trailer still had the tongue and tail lights on it when it was delivered, and one Christmas I was chided for not getting into the spirit of things and was "told" to hang some strings of lights outside.  Well, I did it even better, I hooked up the taillights of both the mobile home and the utility trailer to an old boat battery charger and it looked great!  Instant Christmas Spirit!

I still remember to this day when we sold the trailer to another young couple, just starting out like us.  It was a good trailer, but I was glad to see it roll off in a cloud of dropping and blowing insulation. 

I'm glad Jake caught the DOT trailer tires, I had gotten the flatbed trailer at a real good price from a buddy of mine who had "kind of" run the side into a culvert or something, not sure what, and blew tires and rims.  So I went to a local junkyard and got four new tires and rims for $15 each so replaced them all!  Score!  Unfortunately, the colors on them didn't match but I figure they complimented the slightly bent axles anyway.

YellowHammerisms:

SawyerTed

That video is priceless!  And your daughter didn't hesitate not even a second, "Daddy!"   I noticed that because I have an Emily who has been by my side and blessed me with two daughters who treat me exactly the same way!   :D :D  My son not so much, he's too much like me. :D
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

wesdor

Congratulations on a well deserved honor. Have subscribed on YouTube and love the way you share your wisdom (from experience) both on YouTube and here. 
Thanks for being one of the many quality members here at FF

samandothers

Is the article framed and, on the wall, yet, and/or copies of the magazine scattered around the place?

Who is the dark headed guy in the video?

This is great and well-deserved recognition for you and the family!

fluidpowerpro

Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Ed_K

Ed K

YellowHammer

Quote from: samandothers on January 03, 2022, 06:05:56 PM
I appreciate all the compliments from everyone.
I was a lot younger when I didn't have all the gray in my hair and I had no idea where that little sawmill would take me.

YellowHammerisms:

samandothers

Quote from: YellowHammer on January 07, 2022, 08:20:03 AM
Quote from: samandothers on January 03, 2022, 06:05:56 PM
I appreciate all the compliments from everyone.
I was a lot younger when I didn't have all the gray in my hair and I had no idea where that little sawmill would take me.

With gray comes knowledge, wisdom and enhanced skill.  That has helped tribute to the success, great job!

Thank You Sponsors!