iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can it be saved

Started by Downstream, February 20, 2022, 05:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Downstream

I have what looks like a hard maple in the side yard of the house we bought last fall.  Generally was full leafed out but one 6 inch limb was dead so I cut it off last fall.  Noticed what appears to be a long Crack down the middle of the main trunk at the base.  I assume it will eventually split.  Is there anything I can do to prevent the split and save it long term? 

EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

fluidpowerpro

That sure looks like an elm to me....
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

thecfarm

My FIL took a big threaded rod and drilled a hole through it all and it's been there for what I think more than 10 years, maybe even 15? This was done to a neighbor's tree. Tree is alive and well, even with the split. Tree looked just about like yours. Yours is not split open, yet. The one he fixed was split open about an inch or more.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rusticretreater

Nearly all the recommendations online are to drill the trunk and put a threaded rod in place as thecfarm described.  Trees handle things like this.  I found a tree once that had completely grown over a eyelet screwed into its side and had just a wire cable sticking out of it.

Sometimes folks will also put cables in the crown of the tree to stop the weight from pulling on the split.

https://www.heartwoodtreecompany.com/blog/how-to-fix-splitting-tree
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Ron Scott

Putting a threaded rod through it will hold the split trunks together for some time.
~Ron

KEC

Tree looks like Norway Maple. Does it have big, broad leaves ?

Downstream

Thanks for the quick responses.  I will do the threaded rod method this week while we have a short heat wave.  Leaves from last year were clearly from a maple and not a silver maple so Norwegian may be right.   glad to hear I have a decent chance of success.  Side yard would not be the same with only one remaining tree and I would lose what is planned to be a nice shady sitting/lounging area.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Ron Scott

~Ron

Ianab

Long term I'm not so sure, depends if decay gets into the exposed wood inside the crack. Maples generally aren't a durable wood, so it's likely to rot out over time. 

But medium term it can be reinforced with threaded rods, and will be OK  until too much decay develops. Just keep an eye on the tree over the years to come. Trees grow over wounds, they don't technically heal damaged wood. But that might be 10+ years down the track. Gives you time to get some replacements started. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Clark

Given the average form and life expectancy of a Norway maple I would vote against a threaded rod and do something that will be a longer-term solution. Not to mention saving someone else from a surprise years down the road. I'm surprised a board with so many sawyers would recommend that. Granted, there is no fear this tree will become lumber.

Also, I doubt this is the only problem with the tree. Norway maple tend to have numerous problems, some of them bigger than others. I would take the tree down and plant something better. There are many choices that are all better than Norway maple. Not to mention, removing this tree also removes liability.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

beenthere

How did this tree do through the year? Did you try the rod idea? and trim off the limb ?
@Downstream
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

KEC

Also, the wood of Norway Maple is brittle and somewhat prone to breaking in a strong wind. The wood is pretty decent firewood. Makes a lot of shade; so much so that grass does not grow well under them.

beenthere

Have a few Norway maple of the cultivated Schwedler variety   (Acer platanoides schwedleri)  

Enjoy the fall color of these trees. 

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Walnut Beast

Downstream

Seemed to stabilize this year.  No new limbs died off so cautiously optimistic at this point.  I did put a 1 inch threaded rod through it with big washers/nuts at both ends.  Positioned as high up the trunk as I could before it branched out.

KEC

There is a cultivar of Norway Maple that nurseries sell, or at least they used to, that has reddish leaves. Many states now regard Norway Maple as a non-native invasive species.

Thank You Sponsors!