iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wool Is King!

Started by Walnut Beast, January 18, 2023, 02:08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

The king for warmth, quietness, antibacterial and the list goes on! You can wear a wool shirt or for days and weeks without washing it and it doesn't smell.. Try that with anything else. Isn't gonna happen! There is a reason old name brand wool garments sell for good money!  Woolpower base layers are some of the best out there! I've got some I've wore for years. I'm a wool lover 😂

Walnut Beast

If you want to read some interesting, technical and amazing stuff about wool here you go! These are some of the best outer garments out there! And made in the USA!!

https://weatherwool.com/pages/the-weatherwool-difference

SwampDonkey

Stanfields has been around since 1856 making wool underwear, cotton to. I use their wool underwear when it's below 20F. J.B Fields since 1877 making wool socks, I use their long leg socks in my caulk work boots year around. Big Bills has been around since 1946, makes rag wool pants and wool hunting jackets, got them to. :D Of course no store in these parts stock any of it. They used to. Zellers department store carried shelves and racks of the stuff, but no one will stock it now. Walmart sure don't. And I can see why when I see young people half dressed in summer clothes like they are in Florida or something. I hope their car is reliable, if they had to walk in a cold north wind at -10F, they would be in a bad way mighty quick. :D Like most good stuff these days you have to order it online, even shoes and boots. Sad state of affairs.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

Wool is still a thing here in NZ, but the market has gradually dropped off over the years, to the point where it's sometimes costing more to shear the sheep than the wool is worth (labour intensive).

But it's still a great fibre, just needs some better marketing. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

twar

SwampDonkey

I made this coat. Most expensive coat I ever owned. :D :D

Lined to. :)

The down side is it has to be in the teens are colder to wear it. It's too warm, if that is a complaint. :D :D :D  

And that wool is doublewoven, meaning two layers are stitched together by the loom. Which doubles the time it takes to weave. You are weaving a tube with the edges closed by the path of the shuttle, and the loom is stitching two layers together by moving threads meant for one layer into the other layer.  ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

peakbagger

Johnson Woolen Mills in VT makes some fine product. The trade off is they pay a living wage to their employees so its expensive. I have a lot of merino wool gear but it inevitably comes from China. Darn Tough socks in VT is an exception, all US made merino wool and merino wool blend socks. They supply the US military as well as having a big consumer line with a lifetime guarantee. Pre Covid they had a yearly factory sale at their factory in Vermont. Its not advertised but it seems like everyone in VT shows up for the deals. If you lived in VT odds are you get a bag of Darn Tough socks for Christmas. They sell their military seconds in bags of six pairs. The military uses a slightly higher blend of synthetic fibers so they are even more durable. The cushioned winter socks are about as warm and durable as a sock will get.

Labonville's in Gorham NH used t make wool logging pants complete with pockets for kevlar inserts but like a lot of their products they seem to always be out of stock. i think they had switched over to Cordura based pants, but again I think they are out of stock.   

Folks forgot to mention wool is also fire resistant, when I worked with the boy scouts, many scouts and some adults would show up with synthetic fiber pants like Labonville's cordura logging gear. It was durable but when messing around with campfires, they inevitably ended up with holes melted into them. Wool doesnt melt like that. 

The trade off is eventually in winter the wool pants do eventually wet out and freezes and it takes a long time to dry out. 

Walnut Beast

SwampDonkey that coat is gorgeous!! You did a beautiful job!!

Walnut Beast

Here is a video of Ralph from WeatherWool in freezing temperatures submerging himself in the river and getting out and drying out.  A fantastic company that he started that has garments all over the world, been on the history channel and has a warrior wool program. Many special forces to survivalists wear their 
Al's Anorak
https://weatherwool.com/pages/the-science-of-wool

Don P

The sheep and goat club here has recently purchased a wool baler hoping to pack and market their wool rather than just using the wool pool which wasn't paying well. A fair amount here was discarded after shearing, the prices are that low. Back in the day there was a breed of sheep named for this area. Unfortunately those genetics are now gone but sheep are coming back.

petefrom bearswamp

I have a Johnson jacket, a woolrich shirt and jacket a set of Stanfields wool underwear.
Love all of it.
Only downside is my wife laundered the Standfields improperly and they shrunk.
Oh yes I still have my other Johnson jacket which I bought from a friend in 1972, its threadbare and I only use it at my Adk camp in cooler weather.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

SwampDonkey

Have Johnson's, HBC and Briggs and Little wool blankets, plus blankets and throws hand woven. Have a Woolrich coat of my uncle's hardly warn and also a pair of their wool pants I got at Hyder, Alaska for $20 brand new. :D Used to work near there, on the Canadian mainland around Stewart Junction on the Nass R.

Wool will dry faster than heavy cotton by the way.

Nebraska

All these folks wearing synthetic fabric when wool is ultimately renewable, kinda like a tree.   I have some work woolies too. :)

Don P

Nebraska, a surprising amount of my county ended up out there. Your Nuckolls county was named in appreciation of an early surveyor from here. I bet they took some animals. I doubt any would still be around, any chance you've run across a "grayson" sheep?

K-Guy

I like Wool to but if I was to get a coat made it would be heavy leather lined with wool so the leather would stop the wind and wool would insulate it.

Walnut Beast
Good topic but I really didn't want to hear about your poor hygiene habits!  smiley_jester 
You can wear a wool shirt or for days and weeks without washing it and it doesn't smell
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

firefighter ontheside

I love merino wool.  I weat merino wool socks a lot in the winter.  When I went to Ireland over 20 years ago I bought an amazing merino wool sweater that I love, but wear rarely.  Partly I don't want to ruin it and partly because it is so warm I can't keep it on in the house or I get too hot.  At one time I had a great wool button up shirt that I wore almost every day when it was cold while building my house.  As pointed out, it didn't stink.  It just smelled like wood.  Well, one day about 10 years ago I put it on and it had shrunk about 5 sizes.  Cindy sweared that she washed it the way she always had, but it was never fitting me again.  I should look for a replacement.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WV Sawmiller

Did you know that allergy to wool used to be a legitimate excuse for exemption from military service because the uniforms and blankets and such contained or were completely made of wool.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

beenthere

And under that wool, silk underwear is the most comfortable when working hard and sweating. Two natural fibers, (not leaving out the comfort of cotton when temps are not below freezing).

Silk socks under wool socks the best combination to keep feet comfortable when working in the cold.

And I have some hand-me-down army wool pants and jacket that are perfect for woods work when temps are cold. Also have a couple of sets of Johnson wool jac shirts and vests, thanks to a side trip in Vermont some years back.

Agree, wool is king.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Trust me, you don't need no leather exterior on a wool coat. Tight woven wool will not let the wind through, the liner helps make it easier to slip on and off. All across the north wool Hudson's Bay blankets were made into coats in years gone by. ;D

SwampDonkey

Going to town scarf. Alpaca - silk blend, double woven. Double woven to make pattern, but also it is very fine yarn. A little wrinkly, but who notices when around your neck? :D

OntarioAl

Swamp 
How much time setting up and weaving?
 For example that scarf
Cheers
Al
Al Raman

SwampDonkey

That particular scarf, I wound enough yarn onto the loom for 3, which was 396 ends of yarn. That involved winding yarn onto 37 spools, each spool has to carry enough yarn to fill 11 sections with 6 yards on my loom's yarn beam. Then the loom is threaded with those yarns into the harness (mine has 8 shafts with polyester heddles) and then also in the reed which spaces them evenly. This was threaded 11" wide with 36 threads to the inch. Then tie up the shafts and treadles to the lamm levers to control shaft movement.  That was probably around 10 hrs there. Then I wove the scarves roughly 60" long, including fringe. Each scarf is 4-5 hrs of weaving. Remember this is foot and arm powered stuff not automated. :D When doing doubleweave you have to throw two shuttles, one at a time in rotation, to get the same distance one shuttle would normally get with a single layer cloth. Plus the constant shuttle shuffling slows the weaving down. You need two shuttles and at least 2 contrasting colors, on the loom and in the shuttles, while weaving doubleweave to make a pattern, or else it just looks plain or solid color. I break it up over several days. You loose yarn due to loom waste so you plan on doing several items when you set up a loom. Plus I design most of my own patterns or at least modify others to get the width, length and design elements that satisfy me.

That scarf got instigated over a group discussion about a particular scarf seen in a video. I proved it had to be doubleweave to get the design to work out. Weavers in a group are like a swarm of bees over new patterns figuring out the thread interlacements to make it. Too funny. :D

21incher

Beautiful jacket. I am an unlucky one that can't wear wool. If it touches my skin for some reason I break out in a rash almost like poison ivy. I don't  think it's an allergy because they are caused by breathing in allergens but just a skin reaction from the fibers. I was always cold when I was young because there weren't good alternatives back then. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

SwampDonkey

Some folks have a sensitivity to it for sure. Some wools are softer than others, merino and alpaca are a lot softer than most.

moodnacreek

Count me in also as a Johnson woolen mills fan.

firefighter ontheside

Oh my!  A jacket from that Weatherwool is just north of $800!
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

DonW

Laken also known as Baai, woven, trimmed and brushed wool. no longer manufactured that I know. In the place I got them they say washing will take the Sunday out and they can no longer be worn in church - a kind of kin to Amish folk.

Of the wool items I have some are old some new. The old is corse of corse but far better than the new.

R
Hjartum yxa, nothing less than breitbeil/bandhacke combo.

SawyerTed

Wool is one of nature's wonders. 

About the only wool garment I can stand is wool socks when hunting.   Otherwise, wool clothing is too warm for 360 days of the year.  I have a wonderful sweater I can only wear on the coldest days outside.  

As mentioned previously, silk is nature's other wonder fiber.  Wool over silk is as warm as it gets.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

thecfarm

swampdonkey, that coat is beautiful!!! 
Nice job on the lining too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

samandothers

When I played Little League ball in Va. the town recreation department provided uniforms, they were wool.  This was back in the late 60's / early 70's.  I really did not like those uniforms as they were scratchy and hot!  Now I am sure they lasted and lasted.  By the time I got to the next level of league there were more comfortable uniforms.  

In the past when I was back packing and now on some workdays, I wear a poly sock underneath wool socks to help wick moister.  

Walnut Beast

Depends on the weight and a few other factors. For example woolpower that I have comes in a lite, 200, 400 and 600. I guarantee you could wear this wool it is luxurious! The feel it has against your skin is incredible. Sweden made and not cheap

https://woolpowerus.com/

Walnut Beast

Oh my!  A jacket from that Weatherwool is just north of $800!

And did you notice they are sold out. Everytime they are able to make a production run they are sold out. Especially the Anorak( That's what I have). Ralph was the biggest dealer in the country for King of the Mountain Wool. He was owed big money and had to take things to court to get settled. He started his own company WeatherWool  and invested a substantial amount of money painstakingly keeping everything made in the US. I guarantee their bottom line they are not making a lot on each garment when you add in the cost of everything from the wool to the materials and processing. I haven't talked to Ralph  in a long time but You could say I don't know what size Anorak that's 625.00 to get and he would send you two when you payed for one and send the one back that doesn't fit. Any problems or your not happy. Money back! The whole family are absolutely honest good people that have worked very hard to make a absolutely superb product 100% made in the USA. People like that are hard to come by and I hope they are and deserve to be doing well. When I had talked to him a few years back he was having difficulty in getting the special processing to the special tailors and the cost to do all of that stuff was running in the six figures. Quality comes at a price. Most of the high quality items last a lifetime, hold or increase in value.

SwampDonkey

Just for perspective, I can guarantee that coat I made is an $800 coat. Good weaving wool (not knitting wool) is not cheap. Plus all the time invested in weaving and construction. ;) Even a 'cheap' light weight, unlined,  Big Bill's wool jacket will run over $200. When you make a lining it's like constructing a shirt without a collar and pockets. My pockets are lined as well. Nowhere as heavy a coat as mine and it is also not a -30 below coat. ;)

Walnut Beast

That coat is absolute eye candy and if it was 2X I would buy it in a heartbeat!!!

Walnut Beast

After Ralph from WeatherWool started making the Anorak and people on the history channel and other shows were wearing it I noticed other companies are trying to copy him. I've had several high dollar big name ones that were geared towards hunting. The two were 
. King of the mountain 
 Sleeping Indian 
Here is a picture of the popular STANDMASTER I had until I made WeatherWool my go to

twar

Knitting with wool yard has a looong tradition in Scandinavia. My dear wife knits and she knitted this sweater over 30 years ago. This is my go-to winter sweater. (It currently smells like campfire smoke.) It has been repaired a couple of times in 30 years, and it should last for another 30.

Walnut Beast

Sedgehammer

I had several silk lined shirts made years ago. Best shirts I ever had. I hate to wonder what they'd cost now. The wool was from Oregon. Famous name, can't think of it now

I use wool socks year round. Over the calf, otherwise they fall down to me ankles. Heavy weight. They help cushion my back. Feet only sweat a little
Necessity is the engine of drive

trapper

I have been wearing Hollow brand alpaca socks.  They are made in the us  and to me seem durable 2 pair lasted me a year wearing them every day.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

JD Guy

Quote from: Sedgehammer on January 19, 2023, 10:13:49 AM
I had several silk lined shirts made years ago. Best shirts I ever had. I hate to wonder what they'd cost now. The wool was from Oregon. Famous name, can't think of it now

I use wool socks year round. Over the calf, otherwise they fall down to me ankles. Heavy weight. They help cushion my back. Feet only sweat a little
Would that be Pendleton? I have a couple of their wool,shirts and they are fantastic!

SwampDonkey

Standfield's makes the white wool underwear for going to town in, and the grey heavy kind for work'n in. I Have some of the heavy stuff I bought almost 30 years ago still in use. I have 2 sets unopened on reserve. I have 2 sets of the white unopened, and one I use on cold winter days going to town in an 18 year old car. Never know. ;D

Forgot to mention my wool cap with shearling wool ear tabs, 'trucker cap'.  Crown Cap makes them on order. The real thing, not fake stuff. ;D Winnipeg, Manitoba company.

nopoint

Pendleton is one of my favorites. Happened to be wearing a wool shirt as I read this. Used to travel for work and would stop and visit thrift stores. Have about 6 Pendleton's all purchased $6 or under... a couple like new. Imagine that some one died and their unappreciative heirs brought all their old junk to St vinnys. When I die there will be plenty of old junk but the Pendleton's will be wore out! 
Knowing a bit about weaving, I'm very impressed by the coat swamp donkey!

Walnut Beast

Made in Italy and high end! Sometimes it doesn't pay to be tight!!! I've been looking at EBay on different wool garments and I really messed up on this coat I wanted!! The lady didn't have a best offer on this Vintage Beretta wool coat so I sent a message that I would buy it for 110 bucks. When I should have and almost paid the full price. This coat was very high end in it's day! Probably around 800-1,500 years ago. By the time I sent the message in less than 24 hrs it was gone! Everything the lady carried was ultra high end garments. But she was really off on the price on this full wool coat that's like new and not a blend. I'm still furious I didn't buy it!!!  

Walnut Beast

You probably didn't know this you axe lovers. The same company that makes the finest wool under garments Woolpower also makes the finest axes

https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/sister-companies/

dogone

Someone mentioned King of The Mountain. I bought a railroader hat from them at a show in Richmond.At the time they custom made everything. Best hat I ever had. Wore it for 10 or 12 winters. It almost was see through. On my third and probably last now.

SwampDonkey

One of my Pendeltons, made in Mexico now.

One of my Vyellas, this is a cotton and wool blend. Made in Canada.

Woolrich I think is gone now, it went to China and India. The quality went into the gutter is why they failed. I've seen their stuff in late years. Pass. In my grandparents day it was a quality manufacturer. I do have a pair of their wool pants of quality, it's not from Asia either. :D

SwampDonkey

My Johnson wool coat made in Vermont, USA. It's a Oct-Dec fall coat, not real cold weather. ;)

Walnut Beast

Thanks for sharing! Very nice looking!!

brianJ

Quote from: 21incher on January 18, 2023, 01:03:11 PM
Beautiful jacket. I am an unlucky one that can't wear wool. If it touches my skin for some reason I break out in a rash almost like poison ivy. I don't  think it's an allergy because they are caused by breathing in allergens but just a skin reaction from the fibers. I was always cold when I was young because there weren't good alternatives back then.
I dont get a reaction but bare wool is uncomfortable.   I wear a Tshirt under my Dale of Norway sweater which is getting close to 30 years old

Walnut Beast

There are many types, grades and weaves of wool from silky smooth you wouldn't even guess it's wool to sandpaper type

DonW

Pike Bro. (Very hip(ster) sells a CPO wool shirt - made in Portugal that's the thickest, most corse material I've seen outside of old military. It's my shirt for through winter. It has a tab closure at the collar, a small but appreciated feature.
Hjartum yxa, nothing less than breitbeil/bandhacke combo.

Walnut Beast

Wool produces heat when wet😳. That's another reason wool is king when wet! A little test in the kitchen.

https://weatherwool.com/pages/video-performance

SwampDonkey

One winter I went knee deep in water when ice let way on a beaver pond. Rung out the socks and poored water from the boots and wasn't cold for the mile hike out. Feet was never cold and all I wore were logger's boots, no insulation.

Sedgehammer

Quote from: JD Guy on January 19, 2023, 02:55:37 PM
Quote from: Sedgehammer on January 19, 2023, 10:13:49 AM

Would that be Pendleton? I have a couple of their wool,shirts and they are fantastic!
You wool'd be correct 
Necessity is the engine of drive

Thank You Sponsors!