iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Having second thoughts

Started by Patrick NC, January 22, 2023, 06:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick NC

I had pretty much decided to sell my norwood and buy a lt40 woodmizer.  Paid my deposit and ordered one. Friday I got an email from norwood saying they were having a sale on the total hydraulic package for my hd36. Honda powered pump and valves,  log rests, 2 plane clamp, chain turner, loading arms, and hydraulic toe boards for $10,900. The norwood cuts straight and fairly fast now that I've spent a couple years learning and modifying things that needed it. Being a one man operation it would probably serve my needs well. So now I'm wondering if I should continue with this one, or sell it and spend $$$$$ for a different color orange. I know woodmizer has better customer support,  but there isn't anything on my hd36 that I can't fix or get parts for locally.  
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Southside

You know the mill, it serves what you need it to do, pretty sure I recall you saying it's paid for. So for $11K you effectively get the functionality of the 40.  

You can add a lot of support equipment with the difference in cost and increase your efficiency and profit margins as a result. 

There will always be the opportunity to spend more money on a bigger mill down the road. 

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

I'd be in the same boat.  Spend the money for the upgrades, and you'll be sawing with an improved and debugged machine that you are used to.

If you are happy with the Norwood, then you'll be even more happy with the upgrades, I think.  Plus you won't be waiting around for a year.   
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

thecfarm

Quote from: Patrick NC on January 22, 2023, 06:53:53 PM
  but there isn't anything on my hd36 that I can't fix or get parts for locally.  
That would mean a lot to me.  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Patrick NC

Keeping the norwood ,adding hydraulics, and better support equipment is probably going to put me farther ahead.  That extra money might be better spent on things like fixing my old edger, building a kiln, etc..
My hd36 will cut as much as I can handle in a day working by myself. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Magicman

Your reasoning is solid and you will certainly get no argument from me.  :P
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

moodnacreek

You all know my answer. It would be alot more work and a lot less money.

Osterman.r

Ask mood what his answer is.. I bet it has something to do with a big round spinning plate? Well worth the extra work.

ladylake

A Honda powered pump for the hydraulics is really reliable.  Steve  
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ladylake

Also a chain turner is way faster than a claw turner and you can do more things with it.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Ventryjr

Just my $0.02.  Which is worth less because I've never run a bandsaw.  So maybe $0.01. 

I'd get the hydraulic setup for the mill you have.  You're already comfortable with it.  And there's going to be some loss of time/production between selling, buying and learning a new mill.  vs maybe 10-12 hrs setting up the hydraulics on a mill you know how to run well.  

A friend of mine just assembled a new Norwood with hydraulics.   I forgot the model. It's a bigger one.  His second Norwood mill.  He showed me the setup over the weekend.  Hasn't cut any wood yet but ran all the hydraulics and it was a slick setup.  Toe boards, back stops? (I'm not familiar w/ bandsaws), dog and a chain turner.    No loading arms.  It was a nice setup.  Although it would be nice with electric start for the hydraulic pump.  The saw has elec start, 31" cut Capacity, and a manual (push) carriage. 
-2x belsaw m14s and a Lane circle mill.

Patrick NC

Ordered the hydraulic package for my hd36 today.  Should be a game changer for me.

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

cmcguigan

Quote from: Patrick NC on January 31, 2023, 11:21:47 AM
Ordered the hydraulic package for my hd36 today.  Should be a game changer for me.
Patrick, I'm interested in what you learn with the upgrades.  
Chris
Manual milling and back aches

B.C.C. Lapp

Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

711ac

Quote from: Patrick NC on January 31, 2023, 11:21:47 AM
Ordered the hydraulic package for my hd36 today.  Should be a game changer for me.
And on a lot of forums they say "we're here to help you spend your money"😄
I (also) think you made the sensible choice! You'll have half a brand new mill when you're done. 

Thank You Sponsors!