iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ovals method

Started by FactorySeconds, February 07, 2023, 02:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FactorySeconds

Well hey chaps,

We move a lot of ovals which involves some unique manipulation methods on the mill. Our usual guidelines for ovals is the length is equal to between 1.5 - 1.75 x the width. I'll calculate that on the ground and make the first guide cut with a chainsaw and nip a little off to make a flat spot on the 'point'. I'll roughly calculate the weight of the piece that I'd be able to carry (manhandle) and place it on the mill. I'll lift the piece so the flat end of the 'point' catches under the bedrail cover with the rest of the weight on the clamp rail. After that, it clamps nicely with the box section of the clamp. 

The results are good with this, the clamping is strong. But I can't help thinking that there could be a better way. I've tried doing larger sections and manipulating it in place with the telehandler and strap. That works well 50% of the time and when it doesn't work, it takes about as long to get in in place as it would to do two sections that I could lift by hand.

So do any of you guys that mill ovals have any unique methods or jigs you utilize to maximize efficiency/output? Maybe this is too niche of a thing but there's a couple of orders for truckloads coming down the pipe so any tweaks to make this process easier the better!

Thanks.

OlJarhead

2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

FactorySeconds

@OlJarhead - yes, but longer. We made a fantastic jig for cookies a while back. ovals involve at least a 45 degree angle to cut.

@kelLOGg - I've played with that method but moving the blocking as you're going down ends up taking longer in the end.

I'm thinking of making some kind of adjustable support with tubing that would go on the toe board so I've got the fine tuning option once it's seated. Clamp once in place and remove it so there's no adjusting throughout the entire milling process...

SawyerTed

Ovals can be a lot of fun.  These cedar cookies and "ovals" were for a wedding.  The ovals were made into centerpieces of some sort. 

It was a good paying job and easy.

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

OlJarhead

2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Resonator

Seen this video a while back, guy takes the long oval cut to the extreme. To me they look like surfboards! surfer-smiley
Cutting OVAL Slabs! - YouTube
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

FactorySeconds

Quote from: Resonator on February 07, 2023, 09:12:11 PM
Seen this video a while back, guy takes the long oval cut to the extreme. To me they look like surfboards! surfer-smiley
Cutting OVAL Slabs! - YouTube
When I was searching the forum for similar questions before posting this came up a handful of times. Those ovals are HUGE! The tipping point was what swayed me away. I want to put something on the mill and not have to wrestle with it again halfway through. I'm thinking I'm in a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of place with this.

Thank You Sponsors!