iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What I did with my new Lucas 830

Started by urbanlumberinc, November 04, 2006, 01:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

urbanlumberinc

I decided to test the limits of the new 830 right off the bat.  This American Elm was 62" inside the bark at the base and weighet almost 10,000 lbs according to the crane operator.  For scale, the orange thing to the right is a police officer on hand to direct traffic.

urbanlumberinc

The secon
d log
was 4' dia at t
he butt and 16' long

urbanlumberinc

Sawed up into about 1200 bdft of 1x4, to be milled into flooring.  By the ringcount, the tree had stood for 105 years before it had grown too far over the road and had to be taken down to maintain height clearance for trucks and busses.  I love this new mill ;D

Ianab

Yup.. logs like that is why we like Swingmills  8)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

UrbanL,
Does the "30" in the "830" model number mean 30 h.p.?

Nice log!

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

solodan

That's what there for.  8) Very first log I sawed with my used Lucas 827 was a 42" 18 foot  sugar pine. Their not all that big, but certainly not hard to come by in my neck of the woods. How are the new sidewinder setworks working out, I wish I had them on mine.

BigTrev

Thats a really nice log, real swinger food.
If at first you dont succeed, try a bigger hammer

Gustavo

last year i went to  a  forest show in curitiba brazil

and  had seen  the lucas working   .. its great

same citys goverments are buying    the 827   

this citys  use this mills for  milling  droped trees

the wood is used for  child  park toys

sliders  etc .

great idea and great  sawmill

thanks to the forum for share very value informations.
here i have got good information  and  over all   good friends

urbanlumberinc

The 30 in 830 represents the new 30 horsey Kohler vtwin that replaced the 27hp.  As for the sidewinder setworks, I'm diggin it.  I had run an 827 a bit before I got the 830 and it's nice not to have to manually push and pull the cairrage left and right for each new cut.  The only issue I've had with it is if I dont get the setworks locked down tight it is possible to push the setworks over witht the indicator if you get a bit overzelous with the crank.  Chalk that up to operator error.

Thank You Sponsors!