iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

eastern red cedar

Started by Dan_Shade, January 04, 2008, 05:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

Anybody know what the normal moisture content is for eastern red cedar from a "fresh" tree?

also, does anyone know how long does it take it to air dry enough to be glued? 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

woodmills1

I would sticker and air dry outside 6-8 winter months or 4-6 summer months, then sticker inside for 6-8 weeks before gluing.  If you don't have a moisture meter you can find moisture content if you can get your hands on a tripple beam balance or othe relatively good scale or weight device.  Post and I will tell you how if you are interested.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Dan_Shade

I've been asked to make a set of simple shutters, pretty much just a wide glue up for the windows, so they'll live outside.  So the wood should be ready for use at some point this summer?

I have a moisture meter, I was just wondering how long it would take to be usable....

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Furby

ERC is a very dry wood to start with.
When Stump Jumper and I were cutting it in OK, it was drying so fast it would blow your mind.
If I were you, I'd cut it right away and bring it inside the house.
Give it a month and use a water proof glue and I'd say your good, but that's just a guess.
I'm drying some W. Pine in tee pees over my heat vents right now. :)
I'm thinking for shutters, I'd use some biscuits with the glue.

Cedarman

Heartwood is somewhere around 25 to 30 %. Sapwood is off the scale on the meter, probably about 40 to 50 %. 
Summertime, cedar on sticks will air dry to 12% in a couple of weeks if 1".
Wintertime depends on weather.
In winter if I just need 20 or so boards, I cut them, put them in the break room at the mill and they are ready in a week or so.  Usually down to 9 or 10%.
We can dry up to 8000 feet in a drying room that I built using an outdoor wood furnace to supply hot water to 2 radiators.  It will keep the temp differential from inside to outside  at 30 to 40 degrees. Lets the cedar dry softly.  No side bending or cracking.

As Furby said, cedar dries fast.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Dan_Shade

what's the warp potential?  how much weight do I need to put on it?

Cedarman

When drying in the building, I never put any weight on the stack.  Cedar since it shrinks so little when drying moves very little.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Furby

Stuff I have here has been great, little to no movement at all.

Thank You Sponsors!