iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Information on O28 stihl

Started by dave7191, September 18, 2008, 05:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave7191

Anyone Know where there is a diagram of an O28 stihl  My oiler quite and I wanted to see how it is built  I haven't run fuel oil  through it yet  will tomorrow but if that doesn't  work will need to fix it

Rocky_J

I don't have a diagram or part number but the procedure to get to the oiler pump is about the same for most saws. Remove the sprocket and clutch, then it's right there and held in place with 2 (sometimes 3) screws. There's a rubber grommet type seal where it fits over the hole going to the oil tank and on that old of a saw there is probably a rubber tube running from the pump to where it runs out to the bar.

Having an air compressor is extremely handy since there will be lots of old oily crud to blow away (wear old clothes). I usually spin the clutch off with an impact wrench as well instead of messing around with pulling the spark plug and using a piston stop. Keep in mind that the clutch is left hand thread.

There are several things it could be, but the pumps themselves rarely go bad. The plastic drive gear or output hose are two of the common failures.

joe_indi

Dave, I have created an album (028) in my  gallery showing the 028 oil pump, other parts and parts list with part numbers.

I don't know if this link works, but give it a try:
https://forestryforum.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1999

If it doesn't work you can try and access the album " 028"

Hope this helps.

Joe

dave7191

Thanks For the help that was what I needed

dave7191

Looks Like I'm going to have to tear it apart washed it out good today and it still doesn't want to pump oil 

mike_van

Dave, inside the oil res. is a pickup tube with a screen in the end of it - check that too -
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

dave7191

Took the saw apart yesterday the oil pump drive gear was mess up clean the burs off of it and turned it over put it back together it seems to be working fine now will order a new one in the next few days Thanks again for the help
Dave

beenthere

Punctuation does wonders for the english language... ;D ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodmills1

I really loved those 028's probably had 4 or 5 of them, but my MS 280 is the bomb.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

SawTroll

There are several different versions of the 028 out there - don't know if the oiler was the same on them all........... :-\
Information collector.

wannabeonetoo

woodmills,what's the difference between 028 's and 280's ?what are the cc's ?
I have an 026 and it is a "killer saw". I also have an 044 and it's great too, but I tend to reach for the 026 more often than not.
   Thanks
     Steve

woodmills1

not sure about engine size but the ms280 is much up dated more modern, lighter and faster with better air filter, carb and caps.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!