iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Edger placement?

Started by woodhick, April 16, 2009, 12:54:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodhick

I recently aquired a Meadows edger and have gotten it running.  Not sure where the best place to put it in relation to the LT40.   I am think beside of the mill with the mandrel of the edger located about even with the hitch on the woodmizer.   I mostly cut by myself unless my dad or my son help so it's not so much for high production #'s as much as convienence of not having to edge on the mill.   I am going to build a shed over the mill  and I'm currently think of a shed 18-20' wide x about 32-40' long.   I am kinda limited on room so I can't go much bigger.   Interested in how you all have your edgers set up in relation to the mill.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Meadows Miller

Gday Woodhick

Top Choice on the Edger what model did you get  Mate  ;) ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)
That would work but it depends what are you powering it  off and whereabouts you are mounting the power plant mate L or R hand side  ??? or monting it under/over the outfeed  ???  ;) as you will want to keep the the L/hand side between the Wm and the edger free so you can work Efficiently ;) w/o having a motor in the road as most off the edgers i have seen are powerd of the L/h side of the mandrel . You might want to add a set of flip up arms and maby an extra infeed roller  so you can slide the board of the Wm and seesaw or slide it over to the meadows edger   ;) ;D Good luck Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8)

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Ron Wenrich

I was at an Amish mill where his edger was in a different shed.  He would saw and stack his boards.  Then, he would take them over to the edger and edge them at a different time.  Usually, it was his kids that did the edging.  It made sense in his operation.

Its not a very efficient way of doing things.  But, he wasn't using any extra energy by running an edger with no boards running through it.

Your operation could be to stack and sticker your flitches and edge them at a later time.  Although you handle the boards a little more, its still a lot faster than edging on your saw.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

beav39

not sure on the edger pacement but the building should do i have an lt 40 hydr in a 20 by 40 building works well for me of course no matter how big you build its never enough
sawdust in the blood

Chico

Not a bad idea from Ron If I wee going to put it with mill I would place the opening end wher it enters the actual saw at the end length of my most common lengths
Because if you don't you'll create a lot of unneccesary work thers no perfect spot just what works for you
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Bibbyman

We have our edger behind the hitch end and a bit to the front side of the mill.  We drag back the flitch to a table then it can be fed through the edger if required or pulled off and stacked.  Our stacking sawhorses are right behind the hitch end of the mill and beside the edger with about 4' between to walk and work.

Works well for us with more edging. The only problem is that the distance away is a bit of a compromise.  If we were sawing all 8' and 10' stuff, we'd have it a bit closer.  When we saw stuff longer than 12',  it gets a bit crowed. 

We usually edge stuff 16' and longer on the mill just because they're so cumbersome and,  if they're 2" thick, too heavy.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

bandmiller2

You don't want to swing the boards.Take the boards off the mill the way you usally do then figure the easiest way to put them in the edger.Every setup is different you may have to move it once or twice but it will be apparent when it finds its home.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

spencerhenry

i have tried a few different setups, but right now i have the mill point south, and the edger pointing north, with the edger on the motor side of the mill. it takes up less space this way. when working alone i can pull a flitch off the mill and basically turn around and make a stack next to the edger. with a helper (rare) the helper can pull the flitches and stick them right in the edger and then i while the sawhead is moving forward i pull the boards off the edger and stack them.
a few years ago i milled all flitches and sticker stacked them, after they were dry i edged them. one great plus was that all the finished boards had no crown in them. but flitches dont stack as well, and it is more handling and work.

Tim/South

I wish there was a perfect way to configure the mill and the edger.
The roof I am under limits the options.  I have moved the mill and edger twice. I have it now running in front/offset/parallel to the mill. I stack the rough edge boards beside the mill, which puts them almost in front of the edger.
At the end of the edger is the rack where I stack the boards to sticker and band. That area is not under a roof.

If I ever get to where I am making any real money, other than just having fun learning about all this, I plan to build a large clear span shed.

woodhick

Well I typed out a repsonse last night but it didn't get on here must have hit the wrong button.   Edger i have is a Meadows Miner similar to their 3-31 model they have now.  Mine was a stationary unit driven on the left side but I built a motor mount and put the motor above similar to their portable units.   If want to make it portable I'll add and axle and hitch.   seems like everyone is pretty much set the way I was planning on.  Putting the edger parallel to the mill and about even with the hitch.  Mine will be setting on the motor side of the mill so I can pull flitches off mill and stack then edge.   had it running last night but need to change some.  I put a 16hp Onan engine on it that I had and it will cut 4/4" fine but wont do 8/4" so I'll need to find a bigger motor.   Probably go 25-27hp.  thanks for the ideas and responses.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

sparks

Here is a manual that shows some site layouts you can try. Hope it helps.  Thanks
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

woodhick

Thank You Sponsors!