iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl Information

Started by staggerweed, March 17, 2010, 11:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

staggerweed

I went by to see an old friend of mine yesterday about ordering some chainsaw parts b/c I remembered that he has a Stihl dealership tied in with his other business.  I found out that he ended his dealership at the end of 2008 due to greatly decreasing his other business.  He gave me all his info from Stihl, which is approximately 100 pounds of papers, books, etc. with part #'s, price sheets, dealer repair manuals, etc. on saws, blowers, and hedge trimmers. 

I was looking through the repair manual for the MS 290, 310, & 390 and noticed on one page that there are two different sets of Engine Specifications for each size saw, with the USA ONLY specifications having less HP than the other specs - the US being in inches & the other in cm & mm.  Does anyone know why this is, or if the NON-USA saws are made for Canada, or other countries? 

Also, if anyone thinks I may have some info in this mound of Stihl info, I will gladly search thru it and see if I can find what you need.  Everyone has been so great about helping me out, I would like to do the same in return. 

One more question.  Is the For Sale forum a good place to list chainsaws for sale? 

windthrown

The USA models for the 361 have a different muffler and cylinder. Thay were mostly all made in Virginia. The USA model was for EPA laws, and as a result of that have less power.  The 1127 saws (290/310/390) also have a different and more open muffler in Europe and elsewhere, and a slightly different cylinder as well. Same reasons; smog laws. Same results; more power in Europe.

There are generally differences between USA, Canada, Europe, an Australian model saws. Australian pro saws tend to have HO oilers in them. USA saws usually have choked up mufflers and ports with less power. Alaskan and Canadian saws also tend to have heated handles and carbs available. Europe, Australian and Canadian saws tend to have dual port muffler options, and slighly different setups for running better but they tend to produce more smog and noise.

The new smog and AV laws in the States and Europe are changing all this now, so new better AV and less smoggy saws are coming from Stihl. The 361 is replaced with the 362, and the 310 and 390 are being replaced with the 311 and 391. The 440 was replaced by the 441, and the 170, 180 and 210 were replaced by the 171, 181, and 211. 
Stihls: 440R, 361, 360, 310, 260, 211, 020T. Husky: 372xt.
I ship Stihl saws down under: message me for details.

SwampDonkey

Our Stihl brush saws as least, are all German made that we get here in Canada and have metric measurements on parts. I noticed the bearings in the crankcase are Portugease. German labels on the parts manual as with the English and French. All our blades we buy are Swede no matter the brand, even the Stihl brand, made in Sweden.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!