iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sigidi and Weisyboy "cut it up"

Started by sigidi, September 11, 2011, 12:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigidi

So with the latest goings on for me, with the separation and soon coming divorce, been a touch overwhelmed with a heap o stuff goin on. Getting back on track now though, Carl and I just did a bit of work together, so thought I'd share some pics with you good folks

Couple of pics of the setup we had with the log pile in the middle, both of us setup either side of it and just goin for it.

Carl's attempt to sabotage me, to make sure he cut more than me - he picked this up with the blokes tractor and dumped it in front of my logs, the log right behind it was about 500mm dia (20") I thought the quickest way to get rid of it was to hit it up with "Sammy" (my new 395-XP) then chucked it outta my way ;D

With setting mills up on the Friday and driving over there (a little over 1 hours drive) we didn't manage to finish it all that day, but by 1100 the next day we were both finished and packed up heading a further hours drive away for the next job. So here's what we sliced out in little over a day between our two mills...

from left 4x4's, random bits and 6x2's

6x1's

from left 6x2's, 6x6's, random bits and 6x1's

4x4's
Always willing to help - Allan

Ianab

Well that answers the age old question of "how do I double production".

Get twice as many blokes, with twice as many mills  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

fishpharmer

We want to hear Carl's version, who sabotaged who? ;) :D 8)

Can I be nosey? Just curious how you billed customer in that situation, charge for what you each mill seperately or just split the total pay down the middle?

I see that shiny brute of a husky in the picture, nice.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

duke

Nice looking pile of lumber!!  The only thing that would make it better, would be that it was my pile of lumber,LOL. Have a great time to bad about the separation and divorce!! I hope that you get back on track and things pick up for you and you at least get what you need too keep going and don't spend everything on Laywers!!
  Duke

WildDog

Looks like a fun day, nothing like a bit of competition. How is the 395 going? I went in this season to check on 372xp prices and the local dealer was talking the 395 up, I went away to research it and then the house pump died so $1500 later I put the new saw on hold untill next winter.

Sorry to hear about your divorce, its not much fun when kids are involved but in the end you tend to make the best of a crook situation.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

ljmathias

I'd like to hear Carl's story on this job also, but he doesn't seem to post any more.  Did he lose interest or get banned?  Seems like he flirted with banning for a while and it may be Jeff lowered the hammer on him...  :(

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Jeff

Weisyboy got the message way back and has been a model forestry forum member since those days, and I certainly have not lowered the hammer on him. If he's not been here, it is of his own accord, so that was a bit of unfair speculation all around.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sigidi

Ian I suppose we did double the mills and manpower, but had 2 mills 2 men rather than 2 mills and 4 men .

James, don't worry, Carl did the dirty on me, I was gunna chuck all my bottom flitches over his side after that, but figured that's just be mean. The way Carl and I worked it, it was his job and he called me in to help him out, so we split it 60:40 on the total volume. neither of us did blades or any other 'tricky' additional costs, so it worked out nice. Funny you should say Sammy (395) is shiny, he's already paid for his purchase price twice in his first 9 days of extra work I've scored from buying him.

Duke thanks for the well wishes mate (and everyone else too) things seem to be on track now and settling into a good routine. keep ya eyes open for our next collaboration together - we should finish it tomorrow and pics will be up soon - you'll be wanting those logs at your place for sure:o 8)

Wilddog - the 395 is a thing of beauty, wonderful saw and like I said I've picked up extra work with it, ripping out split posts for other people, its done 750 posts in 9 outings so far. I'm doin about hundred posts a day with him and should be able to get better/quicker at it once my "new" toy comes along ;D ;D ;D ;D  Mind you I do love my faithful 372xp "Harry" he's been with me almost from the start and hasn't missed a days work yet, runs like a dream too, not had a lick of trouble with it, other than me getting condensation in my fuel, but that ain't the saws fault hey?

Lj, I'm sure Carl will chime in with how much more timber he sliced up than me, I don't reckon Jeff kicked him out, just got himself a lady, so could be a bit 'busy' to get on the forum as much ;) ;D (there ya go see, Jeff chimed in while I was typin ;D)

Kansas

I was going to say, I don't see Carl posting on facebook much anymore either. Figured he was busy. Didn't realize he had an extracurricular interest as well.

paul case

nice set up there fellas! i always figured work like that went more than twice as fast when you double team it.

what species is that you sawed? pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

sawguy21

The colour and grain in that wood is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sigidi

The pinky red coloured stuff (mostly the in ground things like the 4x4's and 6x6's) is bluegum, it has a good natural durability rating (25 years plus) to be put in ground without needing treating for termites, cuts really nice too as its quite soft at around 1050kg per cubic metre and can grow up to 2m wide. None of these where that big but around the 500mm mark was what we had to play with.
The creamy brown coloured stuff (none of the in-ground things) is spotted gum, natural durability is not as good (only 15 or so years in ground, untreated) but it's strength is much better than bluegum and is quite resilient to stress plus has a natural oily quality which protects the timber. A little harder on the saw blade and can grow up to around 1.2m wide. Here we used it for the 6x2 rails and the 6x1 siding for the fella's horse stables he's going to build.

Thank You Sponsors!