iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

If not Bailey's, who?

Started by shootingarts, November 29, 2013, 11:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shootingarts

I want to buy the Granberg file and joint and a dozen files, I think Pferd. Maybe a few Save Edge files too but I read they are a rough file that doesn't give a good final edge on a tooth.

The catch is that the Granberg is out of stock at Baileys. While they say coming soon they have been saying that for awhile. I want to get this package before the Christmas rush craziness gets too silly. The Not to be Named folks do have it in stock and even on sale but being contrary thataway and agreeing with the reasons for not buying there they are a last choice option. When I did a search looking for options Amazon came up, fulfilled through the not to be names folks!

I would like to pay only one shipping charge for everything so what are a couple fallbacks for Bailey's for this kind of stuff, board sponsors favored of course. Also I notice there is a similar Stihl/Oregon file guide. It is a little pricier but I'm assuming also of lesser quality since people seem to favor the Granberg. How does the quality compare between the two, or to cut to the chase should I just buy the Oregon from Baileys that they do have in stock.

Thanks,
Hu

fuzzybear

Not sure if they have them or not but check with Cutters Choice. They are out of PA I believe.  They have Canadian stores also and I have never had a problem with anything I've ordered from them.  I have found that their online catalog is a little lacking but their sales staff are really good, and they usually have what I'm looking for.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Andyshine77

I have used both the Granberg file and joint and similar Stihl product. Both will work just fine. With that said, if you want the best. The Stihl guide is simply a better product. The tolerances are better, the metal used is stronger, it much more rigid, the angles are more accurate. I also find the chain clamp holds better as well. The bad part? well the Stihl guide is more expensive.  ;)   
Andre.

shootingarts

Quote from: Andyshine77 on November 30, 2013, 03:20:51 AM
I have used both the Granberg file and joint and similar Stihl product. Both will work just fine. With that said, if you want the best. The Stihl guide is simply a better product. The tolerances are better, the metal used is stronger, it much more rigid, the angles are more accurate. I also find the chain clamp holds better as well. The bad part? well the Stihl guide is more expensive.  ;)

Andre,

There seems to be some confusion to put it mildly! When I check one place the Stihl is just a rebadged Oregon which has plastic in critical areas including the main frame. When I go to the Stihl USA site they don't seem to offer either Granberg type guide, just the handheld two in one file guide. I do see a picture of a nice looking unit of the same general design as the Granberg that looks like it bolts on the bench and you sharpen the chain off the bar but it isn't listed anywhere I can find at the Stihl site. I would be interested in one of those. Can you give me the proper name, possibly a model number so I can see if I can chase one down old stock somewhere maybe? There is a small picture of the unit I am talking about on this page if the link works.

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/accessories/saw-chain-maintenance/

I am going check out Cutters Choice also. Thanks for that lead FB!

Hu

Andyshine77

That's the guide I was referring to,  It's called the, FG2 Bench mount filing guide. You can order it from any Stihl dealer. Here is the pdf. https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=70865.0;attach=5343

Forgot the Granberg was a bar mount guide, sorry for the confusion.
Andre.

Seaman

Not sure if they have it, but give Casey a call at Left Coast Supply.
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Cut4fun

I gave up on baileys long ago and shop elsewhere now.  If cutterchoice dont have it try treestuff.
$26.95

shootingarts

A sleepless night last night, well until nearly five AM, so I had plenty of time for homework. Stihl did market that bench mount and a similar bar mount. Both seem to be out of production now. Must be pretty good or pretty rare, I only found one for sale new or used. It is in Germany, can be had for $205 US plus another seventy shipping, not sure about any duties or other fees but when we are talking ten times the price of the Granberg I have to admit I'm more interested in one of the high quality grinders that show up occasionally in that general price range used.

Cutters Choice sells two of the bar mount units, good prices but the better offering seems to be the Oregon plastic framed unit which I don't want.

Looking around last night I found there were far more different versions of this file guide made than I ever realized. There is an older version of the Oregon which seems to be heavy all metal construction with the possible exception of the piece that swivels for horizontal adjustment. It is readily available on fleabay as a yellow unit or with red paint as a Craftsman branded guide. Anyone know anything about these? Can they sharpen Square ground chain? Is that black Swivel metal or plastic?

I'm not going to square file immediately for the work I'm doing but it is in the plan in the future for one specialty job I do pretty often. I want a bar just for that job too. Might be handy to have a separate saw to not have to change bars back and forth too. The CAD affliction seems to be creeping in!

I will check out what TreeStuff and Left Coast Supply has to offer. Aside from these items I am adding all of the leads to my list of suppliers for future reference so all suggestions are a big help regardless.

Thanks to everyone! The search continues. Currently seems like I'm back to the Granberg for new production, maybe the old style Oregon used. Would be a little pricey but maybe possible to build a frankenstien monster from the two then use the left over pieces to build something just for filing rakers. Looks like I could do that for under $60 plus shipping on the Granberg so still well in the feasible range. 

Hu

Caloren

Quote from: shootingarts on November 30, 2013, 11:55:47 AM

Cutters Choice sells two of the bar mount units, good prices but the better offering seems to be the Oregon plastic framed unit which I don't want.

Looking around last night I found there were far more different versions of this file guide made than I ever realized. There is an older version of the Oregon which seems to be heavy all metal construction with the possible exception of the piece that swivels for horizontal adjustment. It is readily available on fleabay as a yellow unit or with red paint as a Craftsman branded guide. Anyone know anything about these? Can they sharpen Square ground chain? Is that black Swivel metal or plastic?

Hu
I have one of the Oregon all metal units [picked up at a garage sale for a few dollars], the only thing plastic on it is the adjusting screw covers,the part with the reference numbers on them. Used it a few times, but I could sharpen a chain using the Oregon file holder style guides in the same amount of time it takes to set up and adjust the bar mount unit, so don't use it much. Oregon used to sell two versions; standard and pro, don't know if they still do. Don't have any idea about using it for square ground chain.
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

Andyshine77

Did you call or go to any Stihl dealers? The guide was still available less than a year ago.
Andre.

shootingarts

Quote from: Andyshine77 on November 30, 2013, 01:49:33 PM
Did you call or go to any Stihl dealers? The guide was still available less than a year ago.

Andre,

Holiday weekend. I'll touch base with my local guy Tuesday or Wednesday. I don't know if he opened at all today and when they are open a few hours on Saturday they don't have time to do much digging for something. Mondays are bad too, probably a lot worse after a holiday. If the Stihl unit, fg-1 or fg-2 are availably and are under a hundred dollars or around that price they are in the running. If the normal price on those is $200 plus tax locally they are still more than I am willing to pay.

Hu

shootingarts

Quote from: Caloren on November 30, 2013, 01:33:43 PM
I have one of the Oregon all metal units [picked up at a garage sale for a few dollars], the only thing plastic on it is the adjusting screw covers,the part with the reference numbers on them. Used it a few times, but I could sharpen a chain using the Oregon file holder style guides in the same amount of time it takes to set up and adjust the bar mount unit, so don't use it much. Oregon used to sell two versions; standard and pro, don't know if they still do. Don't have any idea about using it for square ground chain.

Thanks, sounds like the old Oregon is certainly worth a look too. I'll try to do my homework concerning old information on them. Probably overthinking this thing but that is pretty standard for me!

Hu

beenthere

Hu
Are you interested in the older all metal filing guide? Like this one?

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Andyshine77

Quote from: shootingarts on November 30, 2013, 02:31:38 PM
Quote from: Andyshine77 on November 30, 2013, 01:49:33 PM

Andre,

Holiday weekend. I'll touch base with my local guy Tuesday or Wednesday. I don't know if he opened at all today and when they are open a few hours on Saturday they don't have time to do much digging for something. Mondays are bad too, probably a lot worse after a holiday. If the Stihl unit, fg-1 or fg-2 are availably and are under a hundred dollars or around that price they are in the running. If the normal price on those is $200 plus tax locally they are still more than I am willing to pay.

Hu

sorry to say, but the fg 2 is in fact around 200 bucks. It is by far the best unit on the market, unfortunately the best doesn't come cheap.
Andre.

shootingarts

Andre,

My issue is while I like manual things when I start paying hundreds of dollars for a file guide there is a fair chance of running across a very nice grinder for the same dollars or a little more. Another issue, unless one of the three or four Stihl dealers I occasionally get in the same town as has one in stock I'd be buying a pig in a poke. Might not like it after I get it for one reason or another. That reduces what I am willing to pay for something long distance too.

Beenthere,

Yes, I'm very interested in such a unit. Something solid can usually be tuned and tweaked if it isn't perfect, may be perfect to begin with. Nothing in the world short of remaking major parts is gonna help some of the units I have stumbled across since last night. What do you have in mind? Shoot me an e-mail at husa-at-live+com if you prefer talking thataway. Got to go sweep an acre or two with the unit behind a lawn tractor in a few minutes but I'll check messages as soon as I come back inside.

Hu

beenthere

Quote from: shootingarts on November 30, 2013, 03:10:06 PM

Beenthere,

Yes, I'm very interested in such a unit. Something solid can usually be tuned and tweaked if it isn't perfect, may be perfect to begin with. Nothing in the world short of remaking major parts is gonna help some of the units I have stumbled across since last night. What do you have in mind? Shoot me an e-mail at husa-at-live+com if you prefer talking thataway. Got to go sweep an acre or two with the unit behind a lawn tractor in a few minutes but I'll check messages as soon as I come back inside.

Hu

Hu
Let's make a deal.
Estimate what you think it is worth to you (essentially never used) and gift that to the Forestry Forum. Then PM me your address and I will box it up and send it to you.

It then won't take up any more space on my bench and you can give it a good trial run.
I thought it was better made and better for adjusting than a Granberg that we used at work, but then I just continued hand filing. Just kept this guide around in case I thought my hand filing was going astray and I'd use this to get back on track. Hasn't happened the several years I've had it.
beenthere
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

beenthere,that is very nice of you. Merry Christmas beenthere.The heart of the forestry forum has stuck again.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

shootingarts

Beenthere,

Obviously can't beat that deal with a stick! I'll scout what is a fair price and let you know. Blessed sweeper broke on me so I had to come inside for some measuring tools. Can't complain, I had little faith in it to begin with and it has held up to three or four years of very heavy use. Just have a broken frame member on it now so I'll splice it and roll some more.

Is there a name or model number on that thing anywhere? The prices of the old ones built by Oregon are all over the place. This one looks like the Craftsman with the red paint on it but is branded Oregon so I don't know what to compare it to.

Got to get back outside, I see I'm losing daylight fast. Thanks a bunch for doing this, always happier to deal with a fellow forum member than a stranger and this is a very nice thing for me and the forum. Much appreciated!

Hu

beenthere

I see newer model is 23736a, and this one is older p/n 23736, made in Italy for the Oregon Saw Chain Division, Omark Industries.
No indication Craftsman had anything to do with it.
This is all metal, but for the adjusting screw knobs.
Your call. 

Curious to what a sweeper is that you are using. Sometimes called a broom?
south central Wisconsin

Andyshine77

Quote from: shootingarts on November 30, 2013, 03:10:06 PM
Andre,

My issue is while I like manual things when I start paying hundreds of dollars for a file guide there is a fair chance of running across a very nice grinder for the same dollars or a little more. Another issue, unless one of the three or four Stihl dealers I occasionally get in the same town as has one in stock I'd be buying a pig in a poke. Might not like it after I get it for one reason or another. That reduces what I am willing to pay for something long distance too.

Beenthere,

I completely understand, I wouldn't pay that much for a file guide either. A good friend of mind did, and it sure in a step above the rest, but again costly. The bar mount guides work, but they are a bit cumbersome to use. I've been filing freehand or with a plate guide for 30 years now, so it's hard to change my ways. I'm also interested in these new roller guides Stihl just put on the market. They're cheap to.http://youtu.be/PAou6sakrN4   

I had an Oregon 511AX grinder. Took a bit of time to get use to setting it up and what not. I simply was never able to duplicate the results I can with a file. IMHO these grinders are simply not worth the money, unless you have dozens of chains to sharpen on a regular basis.   
Andre.

shootingarts

Quote from: beenthere on November 30, 2013, 05:33:01 PM
I see newer model is 23736a, and this one is older p/n 23736, made in Italy for the Oregon Saw Chain Division, Omark Industries.
No indication Craftsman had anything to do with it.
This is all metal, but for the adjusting screw knobs.
Your call. 

Curious to what a sweeper is that you are using. Sometimes called a broom?

The sweeper has the rotary brushes reverse rotating like a street sweeper. The leaves and grass are directed over the top of the brushes and backwards into a dump bin. With a light rope tied to the top of the bin and running forward to whatever I am pulling it with I can cut laps and dump the load by the burn pile without ever climbing off of the tractor or lawn tractor I am pulling with. It's a bear but I have swept up seven acres of Bahia with it a few times making a house sized pile of grass. Not sure of the size of the yard here, a bit under two acres at a guess and the sweeper is the cat's pajamas to pick up leaves in the fall. Lots of oak and pecan in the yard so after last weeks storms I dumped eight or ten bins of leaves today and ran out of daylight. Probaby a half a dozen more tomorrow. These things always looked mickeymouse to me but this one has held up fairly well despite having sealed drive gearing and bearings.

I did send you a PM earlier about the file guide. I'm not concerned about overpaying a little, I would be embarrassed to take advantage of your offer and underpay. Best I remember the old Oregon guides I found on fleabay last night ran from ten dollars buy it now to almost seventy for different models. 

I'm starting to get a gimp in my giddy-up after not going to sleep until almost daylight this morning but I'll check out your model number soon. I think I recognize the second number, the "improved" version. They improved the file guide about like the IRS improves our tax returns every year. The improved version is the one with the plastic frame that is reported to flex badly.

Hu

shootingarts

Quote from: Andyshine77 on November 30, 2013, 05:46:09 PM
I completely understand, I wouldn't pay that much for a file guide either. A good friend of mind did, and it sure in a step above the rest, but again costly. The bar mount guides work, but they are a bit cumbersome to use. I've been filing freehand or with a plate guide for 30 years now, so it's hard to change my ways. I'm also interested in these new roller guides Stihl just put on the market. They're cheap to.http://youtu.be/PAou6sakrN4   

I had an Oregon 511AX grinder. Took a bit of time to get use to setting it up and what not. I simply was never able to duplicate the results I can with a file. IMHO these grinders are simply not worth the money, unless you have dozens of chains to sharpen on a regular basis.

I do live on a fairly busy two-lane highway. If I were to get a good grinder and be pleased with my results I would consider hanging out a shingle. A lot of ifs, not really worried about it but I know there are some grinders around people aren't using. Logging all in this area, within a half mile of me recently, all pine. Those guys use a mix of saws and harvesters usually. Sharpening for them or for an old arborist I knew years ago who dropped every chain that touched wood that day off at a sharpening shop that night would be nice.

I might hand file for a few friends, kinfolk, and myself, No interest in hand filing what the home guys bring in by the time they give up on sharpening the chain themselves!

Hu

angelo c

Andre i remember a thread sometime ago saying that the FS2 was to be discontinued in the states. I passed up on a good one a year ago for $25. Dope.
wife,kids,dog,t-shirts to prove it

Andyshine77

Quote from: angelo c on November 30, 2013, 08:38:04 PM
Andre i remember a thread sometime ago saying that the FS2 was to be discontinued in the states. I passed up on a good one a year ago for $25. Dope.

That may be the case, I doubt Stihl sold many of them. 
Andre.

sweetjetskier

I just received an order I placed from Treestuuf.com.

Fast service, all items in stock, best of all, free shipping for most items with a $100 order.

On another note the Stihl FG2 is not a current item, may be available at some dealers though.

I picked one up a month ago, quality built sharpener throughout, worth the $$ if you can find one.
Arborist, Horticulturist, Nursery and Turfgrass Professional with 27 years experience.

Thank You Sponsors!