iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Partner 465 saw that has being stored for 20 years!!!!!!

Started by brad83091, February 20, 2014, 07:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brad83091

Hi all

I just got my grandfathers chain saw that has being stored for 20 years

First thing I did was change the plug  (I have spares for my own saw a husq 51)

I cleaned the air filter, drained fuel put in fresh fuel.

Than I had to change the fuel lines (we're split)

After all that I gave it a few pulls an it came in to life (a bit smokey)
I ran it for a full tank at above idle.    All was good   Than I said I'll put it under a little load. So I went out to cut a log.   After 30 seconds the saw had no power while cutting.    I did notice a spark or two coming from the exhaust.    So I stopped the saw.

I am seeking a bit of guidance and advice

Thanking ye all James

JohnG28

Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Saw Dr.

It is never a good idea to just take one out of storage like that.  The bottom end of a two stroke is sealed and the seals on the ends of the crank have rubber lips.  Also the fuel line and other components can deteriorate over time.  You need to first determine if it still has compression.  If not, you probably scored your piston during the 30 seconds trying to cut.  Pulling the muffler off will reveal this.  Should the piston be scored, you have a top end rebuild in your future.  If the piston is not scored, you'll need to go through the carb, and make sure the engine is air tight.  You will also need to check (and likely replace) the fuel line and filter.  Also, was the oil pump functioning?  I am not familiar with the 465, but I suspect the parts are getting scarce by now. 
I don't try to explain to others why I play with chainsaws.  For those who already know, no explanation is needed.  For those who do not, no explanation is POSSIBLE!

Super 250

brad83091

Thank ye for the replies. I'll be working on the saw today.  I'll get back to ye with my findings later.   

brad83091

Took off the muffler.   The piston hasn't a mark on it (that's good)

Changed the fuel filter.  I personally think it needs a professional to look at if for tuning.

Just out of interest should I mix the 2stroke to 1:30 instead of 1:5o. Since it has being idle for so long.

brad83091

Just an update.    Dropped the saw to where I picked up my new 395.    Their mechanic said the exhaust was all choked up with carbon.  (A long time ago the 2stroke mix must have being very excessive) cleaned it out. 

I ran the saw for a good 2 hours Saturday      I was useing it for branches      It ran sweet. 

NCFarmboy

I went to Chainsaw collectors could not find a Partner 465 are you sure it's a 465?  www.acresinternet.com
My mouse is broken can't right click to post link.  I would recommend you run it @ 32:1 on your oil/gas mix.  50:1 is dangerous to saw health IMO.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

SawTroll

Quote from: NCFarmboy on April 21, 2014, 10:03:51 AM
I went to Chainsaw collectors could not find a Partner 465 are you sure it's a 465?  www.acresinternet.com
My mouse is broken can't right click to post link.  I would recommend you run it @ 32:1 on your oil/gas mix.  50:1 is dangerous to saw health IMO.
Shep

As I remember it, the Partner 465 did exist, and was the Partner version of some Poulan model - but I no longer remember which one.

50:1 should be fine, provided the oil is a modern fully synthetic one that is made for the purpose of air coled two cycles.
Information collector.

SawTroll

My memory was right, IPL P465 1993.

The 1993 one was the newest IPL I could find.
Information collector.

NCFarmboy

Thanks ST!   Looked @ IPL 465 looks a lot like the Poulan 2700-3500 series.  Still think 32:1 will be better. ;D
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

SawTroll

Sure - if you want things to clog up!

I run Aspen 1:50, even in saws that vere specified for 1:25, and never had an issue!

The point is that two cycle oil has improved a lot over the years, making the ol' specs irrelevant.
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!